Tage and His Wife welcome Baby Number 2

Brawndo

I think I'm in the total minority here, and I've been known to be quite the cynic, but I care about Tage Thompson having a baby just as much as I'd expect him to care about me having a baby. Not a lot. Same goes for any sports star or celebrity.

As a human, I wish him and his family all the best, but at the end of the day all I really only want is him putting pucks in nets for the Sabres. (Time to start scoring Tage 🤑).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • dislike 4

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I think I'm in the total minority here, and I've been known to be quite the cynic, but I care about Tage Thompson having a baby just as much as I'd expect him to care about me having a baby. Not a lot. Same goes for any sports star or celebrity.

As a human, I wish him and his family all the best, but at the end of the day all I really only want is him putting pucks in nets for the Sabres. (Time to start scoring Tage 🤑).

I understand your sentiment, and to some extent I feel the same way about athletes. Their personal lives are none of my business be they good or bad, BUT, at the same time, is there any real point in you telling people that you don't care about Tage's baby? I mean if you don't, that's fine, so why say anything at all in the thread?

Do you really want us to care that you don't care? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

What a ***** garage comment. If you don't care, don't post in the thread. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Is it normal now to miss games due to paternity leave?

In most pro sports, including basketball, hockey, baseball and football, paternity leave is part of the labor agreement. It's a standard leave of absence for a player that shouldn't surprise anyone. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ever hear of privacy?

Then why tell us after? That's my whole point. Plenty of times you hear about an athlete who is missing games for the birth of their child prior to the game and many times in the week or two leading up to it. No big deal.

11 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

How to tell us you are "Get off my lawn!!" guy without telling us you are "Get off my lawn!!" guy.

Edited by Big Guava

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In most pro sports, including basketball, hockey, baseball and football, paternity leave is part of the labor agreement. It's a standard leave of absence for a player that shouldn't surprise anyone. 

The company I retired from gave me 0 days of paternity leave in 1987 when my first child was born.  They gave me 0 days of personal time.  They had a policy that vacation was taken in one week segments, and scheduled at least one month prior, with pre approval required.  

This is one of the great Fortune 100 great companies in the world btw. 

These ridiculous and stringent rules gradually went away and improved greatly in the 90’s and over time. 

By the time I retired, all vacation and personal time is accrued weekly, banked for future use, and could be taken at anytime, any way, without pre approval.  Maternity and paternity leave is 12 weeks.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Maybe you should read your posts before hitting the submit button. Some things are better left unsaid. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Guava said:

What was the secrecy for where nobody would say? I mean they were treating it like an injury for Christ's sake.

Congrats Tage! Maybe the Sabres could dial back the secret society a little next time?

3 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

Then why tell us after? That's my whole point. Plenty of times you hear about an athlete who is missing games for the birth of their child prior to the game and many times in the week or two leading up to it. No big deal.

Because, sometimes, like Krebs' earlier situation, there are potential complications that could surround the event and they'd rather not call attention to it too early.

Is this a situation that is so important to you that you need to comment on it?  If it is, perhaps spend a few moments to think things through. Plenty of times you also do NOT hear anything about what is going on until after the fact.

You just want to complain and cast some kind of conspiracy BS into a thread where a couple are welcoming a child into the world. Perhaps focus on the good in the world for a bit.

Congrats to Tage and family. I hope this provides him a boost!

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The company I retired from gave me 0 days of paternity leave in 1987 when my first child was born.  They gave me 0 days of personal time.  They had a policy that vacation was taken in one week segments, and scheduled at least one month prior, with pre approval required.  

This is one of the great Fortune 100 great companies in the world btw. 

These ridiculous and stringent rules gradually went away and improved greatly in the 90’s and over time. 

By the time I retired, all vacation and personal time is accrued weekly, banked for future use, and could be taken at anytime, any way, without pre approval.  Maternity and paternity leave is 12 weeks.  

As you indicate the world has changed. The work world you started in is different from the work world you left. The troglodytes who are living in the past are not happy with the changes and those who are more enlightened and believe in a better work/home balance are pleased. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As you indicate the world has changed. The work world you started in is different from the work world you left. The troglodytes who are living in the past are not happy with the changes and those who are more enlightened and believe in a better work/home balance are pleased. 

It was rough living out of town, away from family or help, I couldn’t do much about it.  It was normal.  The pay and the health insurance were very good, but the company just demanded a lot of time.    Eventually we had flexible schedules and remote work. 

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I understand your sentiment, and to some extent I feel the same way about athletes. Their personal lives are none of my business be they good or bad, BUT, at the same time, is there any real point in you telling people that you don't care about Tage's baby? I mean if you don't, that's fine, so why say anything at all in the thread?

Do you really want us to care that you don't care? 

I floated it out there to see who'd agree with me, as I really don't understand celebrity worship.

My view is to give celebrity's private lives the same regard as anyone else I don't know personally (the same regard I'd expect from them). As people, I wish them the very best, but whatever happens outside the arena is their business.

If a Sabrespacer has a baby or life event... I'll give that a lot more of my attention. We're a community here (albeit a highly dysfunctional one!), and hopefully one day I hope to meet up with some of you guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I floated it out there to see who'd agree with me, as I really don't understand celebrity worship.

My view is to give celebrity's private lives the same regard as anyone else I don't know personally (the same regard I'd expect from them). As people, I wish them the very best, but whatever happens outside the arena is their business.

If a Sabrespacer has a baby or life event... I'll give that a lot more of my attention. We're a community here (albeit a highly dysfunctional one!), and hopefully one day I hope to meet up with some of you guys. 

So you will treat a person you view as regular people with more common courtesy as a celebrity?  

Who says you have to worship anyone?  Just being a decent and caring person to everyone is all that you can do.  If that is too much for you to do, then it might be better to not say anything at all.  

Your best course now is to take the lesson learned and move on.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

So you will treat a person you view as regular people with more common courtesy as a celebrity?  

Who says you have to worship anyone?  Just being a decent and caring person to everyone is all that you can do.  If that is too much for you to do, then it might be better to not say anything at all.  

Your best course now is to take the lesson learned and move on.  

I put a celebrity on the same footing as anyone I don't know personally. I put a Sabrespacer or anyone I remotely know / interact with ahead of a celebrity.

35 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I put a celebrity on the same footing as anyone I don't know personally. I put a Sabrespacer or anyone I remotely know / interact with ahead of a celebrity.

Huge mistake. Saberspacers are the worst. Especially the old guys. I wouldn't trust any of them. Most of all the guys who talk about the French Connection. Steer clear of them.

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.