GDT: Blue Jackets @ Sabres - Tue. 7 pm ET, Dec 19, 2023, MSG-B, BSOH 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

8 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

It’s not just the goaltending, their team defense is atrocious. Plus someone needs to tell Power it’s time to bulk up, get tough and work on that foot speed. Your offensive leaders in Tuch and Thompson need to bring it game in and game out. Both have been lollygagging way too much. If you are gonna keep Granato then fire his assistant coaches. Even if the Sabres reel off a handful of wins by some miracle, I still don’t see this team making the playoffs. I think a lot of analysts think Buffalo was gonna be a decent team but still not a playoff team. It should be interesting to see what happens if the losing continues.

Completely agree that defensive play is also an issue, but that isn’t necessarily on the players. That lack of preparation is on the coach. He talks about it, but I don’t know if Tony really understands what “accountability” looks like in this league…

Well, that was unsatisfying.

Fairly small crowd, probably about 8k.  So, at least an entire barn full of Sabres fans weren't subjected to that one.  But, unfortunately it seemed a lot of the bodies in the arena were kids.  Not exactly the way to build up that next generation of fans.

Was nice to get the fast start, but even on that goal it was a kind of nearly broken play where Cozens spun back towards the blue line before finding Dahlin speeding into the zone.  They love that stupid spin back away from the defender to see if there is an open passing lane.  There was on THAT play, but they killed at least 10 other rushes last night trying the same play and having the puck hit a skate or an opponent's stick giving the BJ's an easy clear.  And while their skating seemed slow, the clock seemed slow too.  The 1st and 2nd periods both felt like they were about 35 minutes long.  Fortunately, the 3rd seemed to pretty much breeze by.  (Thankful for small miracles.)

So many of the same issues from other games that all leapt up at once.  Poor positional awareness in their own zone.  Poor (nearly non-existant) gap control through the neutral zone back into their own end.  Little to no driving the puck to the net; little to no net front presence.  Goalies being off by JUST that much.  (Cutting UPL more slack on this one than Levi; if Granato wanted to send a message to the team, should've started the 2nd with UPL between the pipes so he'd've had the chance to go through his normal intermission routine to be ready to go.)  Pretty sure they didn't give anybody his 1st goal of the year, but they did give a guy a natural hat trick with his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of the year.  That makes up for that one, right?

It was like being at a Rolston game early in the season after he'd gotten the "interim" removed from his title.  Their collective hockey IQ on the night rivaled that of a good Squirt team.  On the few occassions they could make a pass, they couldn't receive it.

They were booed off the ice all 3 periods.  They were chanting to have Granato fired most of the last 10 minutes of the game.  At least those that stuck around that long were doing so.  And it was to the cadence of the "Let's Go Buf-fa-lo" chant.  There were occassional calls to bring back Krueger.  It was truly ugly.

They gave out nice prints of a winter scene with a few Sabres drawn in on the way into the building.  One of them ended up a paper airplane that got caught in the huge net behind UPL.  That kind of a night.

Games have looked ugly before.  Not sure that they've looked this ugly since the 18 game losing streak.  (Even the 8 game losing streak last year had some effort to them.)  When A game has looked especially ugly, they've bounced back the next game with a really good one.  The team, though lost at times, had never quit on Granato.  (Eh, they quit at the end of the Dallas game last year; but that was a weird one.)  Should Don still be the coach Thursday, expecting it'll be a referendum on his job.  Adams avoided major changes from last season; don't see how he can't avoid giving GA what he's been calling for after seemingly every loss should they lay another egg like last night.

There was no entertainment value at all last night.  The guy who sits next to us brought his grandson to that debacle.  Kid mentioned that the bad part about making it 7-4 is the team would get people believing they had a chance to come back.  Told him not to worry, they'll give up a goal on the next shot.  And sure enough, horrible coverage again left them running around but with 2 guys "covering" the F on the back door though neither actually tying up his stick so he had an easy tap in.

Won't give up on them (just can't do it, until they're out there's a flicker of hope); but holy cow was it a long drive back home last night.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, that was unsatisfying.

Fairly small crowd, probably about 8k.  So, at least an entire barn full of Sabres fans weren't subjected to that one.  But, unfortunately it seemed a lot of the bodies in the arena were kids.  Not exactly the way to build up that next generation of fans.

Was nice to get the fast start, but even on that goal it was a kind of nearly broken play where Cozens spun back towards the blue line before finding Dahlin speeding into the zone.  They love that stupid spin back away from the defender to see if there is an open passing lane.  There was on THAT play, but they killed at least 10 other rushes last night trying the same play and having the puck hit a skate or an opponent's stick giving the BJ's an easy clear.  And while their skating seemed slow, the clock seemed slow too.  The 1st and 2nd periods both felt like they were about 35 minutes long.  Fortunately, the 3rd seemed to pretty much breeze by.  (Thankful for small miracles.)

So many of the same issues from other games that all leapt up at once.  Poor positional awareness in their own zone.  Poor (nearly non-existant) gap control through the neutral zone back into their own end.  Little to no driving the puck to the net; little to no net front presence.  Goalies being off by JUST that much.  (Cutting UPL more slack on this one than Levi; if Granato wanted to send a message to the team, should've started the 2nd with UPL between the pipes so he'd've had the chance to go through his normal intermission routine to be ready to go.)  Pretty sure they didn't give anybody his 1st goal of the year, but they did give a guy a natural hat trick with his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of the year.  That makes up for that one, right?

It was like being at a Rolston game early in the season after he'd gotten the "interim" removed from his title.  Their collective hockey IQ on the night rivaled that of a good Squirt team.  On the few occassions they could make a pass, they couldn't receive it.

They were booed off the ice all 3 periods.  They were chanting to have Granato fired most of the last 10 minutes of the game.  At least those that stuck around that long were doing so.  And it was to the cadence of the "Let's Go Buf-fa-lo" chant.  There were occassional calls to bring back Krueger.  It was truly ugly.

They gave out nice prints of a winter scene with a few Sabres drawn in on the way into the building.  One of them ended up a paper airplane that got caught in the huge net behind UPL.  That kind of a night.

Games have looked ugly before.  Not sure that they've looked this ugly since the 18 game losing streak.  (Even the 8 game losing streak last year had some effort to them.)  When A game has looked especially ugly, they've bounced back the next game with a really good one.  The team, though lost at times, had never quit on Granato.  (Eh, they quit at the end of the Dallas game last year; but that was a weird one.)  Should Don still be the coach Thursday, expecting it'll be a referendum on his job.  Adams avoided major changes from last season; don't see how he can't avoid giving GA what he's been calling for after seemingly every loss should they lay another egg like last night.

There was no entertainment value at all last night.  The guy who sits next to us brought his grandson to that debacle.  Kid mentioned that the bad part about making it 7-4 is the team would get people believing they had a chance to come back.  Told him not to worry, they'll give up a goal on the next shot.  And sure enough, horrible coverage again left them running around but with 2 guys "covering" the F on the back door though neither actually tying up his stick so he had an easy tap in.

Won't give up on them (just can't do it, until they're out there's a flicker of hope); but holy cow was it a long drive back home last night.

So Just Go Gra Na To? Fi Er Gra Na To?

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Tuch was one but was unable to speak per Graham 

Why unable?

And for whoever posted that there's a 10% chance of a presser today, make it 11. Wawrow has a story up on the focus being on Donny. John tends to break news or at the least be the guy someone at the Sabres uses to grease the skids.

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So Just Go Gra Na To? Fi Er Gra Na To?

Sorry about misdescribing that.  It was actually Fi-re Don-ny Clap ... clap  ... clap, clap, clap.  (So it was actually to the Let's Go Sabres chant with the Let's go Buffalo clapping.  Not the Let's Go Buffalo chant.  Oops.)

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Why unable?

And for whoever posted that there's a 10% chance of a presser today, make it 11. Wawrow has a story up on the focus being on Donny. John tends to break news or at the least be the guy someone at the Sabres uses to grease the skids.

Hamsammich said that Tuch was unable to speak because his mouth was all messed up from the puck to the face he took in the 2nd.

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't believe so. I think the team is cooked. I don't see them winning again until after Jan. 1st.

Toronto, NYR, Boston... not this time.... those guys are all pissed we embarrassed them last game and they will lambast us.  3 Wins out of about 15 games going into the new year seems about right. Disgusting. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Toronto, NYR, Boston... not this time.... those guys are all pissed we embarrassed them last game and they will lambast us.  3 Wins out of about 15 games going into the new year seems about right. Disgusting. 

Sadly, I concur. I've been wrong plenty in the past though, so if they win even 2 out of those 3, I'll jump for joy, but I just don't see it as of now.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Sorry about misdescribing that.  It was actually Fi-re Don-ny Clap ... clap  ... clap, clap, clap.  (So it was actually to the Let's Go Sabres chant with the Let's go Buffalo clapping.  Not the Let's Go Buffalo chant.  Oops.)

Hamsammich said that Tuch was unable to speak because his mouth was all messed up from the puck to the face he took in the 2nd.

You are forgiven.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billznut said:

Pegula was just in Buffalo not even two days ago for the Bills game. In fact, Terry Pegula attends EVERY Bills game home and away. So the Florida excuse holds no water. The Bills are his favorite toy and it’s not even close. It’s also understandable, they are a winning franchise and worth a hell of a lot more than the Sabres. I believe once the football season ends each year, then Terry pays more attention to the Sabres, but not from August-January and he never has nor ever will attend every Sabres game. The Sabres are his hobby, the Bills are his life. 

If that's the case, then I'll back away from the being in Florida living point. 

What's funny about all of this is how, upon buying the Bills he said he hadn't been to a game in years, but at one point had been a Sabres season ticket holder or regular attendee to their games.  Same guy who cried seeing the French Connection in early 2011. 

It's amazing how money changed his preference for the Bills over the Sabres. 

@Thorny

Looks like Pegula U. has found the captain of its cheerleading squad. And he's second year to boot.

"A few chanted for Adams and owner Terry Pegula to fire Sabres coach Don Granato only eight months after he led the franchise to its first 90-point season since 2011."

Goooooooooo Lance!

2 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

If that's the case, then I'll back away from the being in Florida living point. 

What's funny about all of this is how, upon buying the Bills he said he hadn't been to a game in years, but at one point had been a Sabres season ticket holder or regular attendee to their games.  Same guy who cried seeing the French Connection in early 2011. 

It's amazing how money changed his preference for the Bills over the Sabres. 

I'm not doing this again.

You're welcome, SabreSpace.

11 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

They assembled a great pool of prospects, but he needs a tough coach, to bring it out of these guys, someone like torts! I’m okay even if we bring in Gallant. I think he might do better and get more out of these guys!

For sure. And one with a real system on offense and defense. Many of us have been saying this for a while. 

However, I would go a step further. As young as they are, every last one of these guys 26 and under should have come into camp bigger, stronger, faster, with better puck and shooting skills (quicker and harder shots and more accuracy). All of them. All of them should have been able to improve in those areas. This is what a real developmental program does. Instead, it appears most of these guys took the summer off. Or just maintained where they were. That won’t cut it. They need to form an entire organizational structure for these players. I doubt Pegula would do this - As I doubt he has the intensity and drive to win with the Sabres - but he should. 

49 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This is really said.

The Boos after each period were painful, but well deserved.  Fire Donny chants are sad, but probably what is needed to wake up Pegula.  But I will go on record to blame this once gain on the Big Boss and his minion Kevyn Adams.  

Tomorrow will likely be the bottom.  The place will be 75% Leaves fans. The Sabres players can either play for each other and their coach, or they will once again get killed on home ice.  Another embarrassment will certainly force some change.  

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

This is really said.

The Boos after each period were painful, but well deserved.  Fire Donny chants are sad, but probably what is needed to wake up Pegula.  But I will go on record to blame this once gain on the Big Boss and his minion Kevyn Adams.  

Tomorrow will likely be the bottom.  The place will be 75% Leaves fans. The Sabres players can either play for each other and their coach, or they will once again get killed on home ice.  Another embarrassment will certainly force some change.  

Sadly, the only change will probably be even more enemy fans in the stands, as you already stated. Sabre fans or not, fannies in the seats means that Pegs makes bank either way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.