GDT: Blue Jackets @ Sabres - Tue. 7 pm ET, Dec 19, 2023, MSG-B, BSOH 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

Just now, Mango said:

I don’t know about that, when Ter-Bear bought the team they averaged 99.9% attendance. And even with a bad team we are a top 5 TV market. 

I actually think Buffalo is a decent hockey town by NHL standards. This isn’t the NBA or NFL. Buffalo has more value for the NHL. Based on that I wouldn’t be shocked if the league wants Terry to shape up or ship out. 

I vaguely remember Terry circa trading Ryan Miller saying something like “the other owners don’t like how I do things”

I vividly remember a hockey magazine I purchased back in the briere Drury days that had an in depth article crowning Buffalo as the best hockey city in the nhl 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is the most brain numbingly dumb post game comment I’ve ever seen

A Freudian slip re: how this franchise sets and handles expectations. 13 years in to a historical drought

sophomore slump

…sophomore slump

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Probably 10 or 11. About a third of a 33mg. With a couple of libations, it's enough. 

I wish. But that’s sweet 

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Because freshman year was so awesome?

Our Van Wilder freshman year? 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Because freshman year was so awesome?

I’m going to become the joker because of this quote you have no idea

sophomore slump 

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I just ordered a bunch more.

There's something surreal to using my iPhone and ApplePay with a couple of clicks(taps) to get it delivered to my house.

Like you should be arrested kind of, ya

- - - 

SLUMP?!!!!!

Edited by Thorny

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I vividly remember a hockey magazine I purchased back in the briere Drury days that had an in depth article crowning Buffalo as the best hockey city in the nhl 

A couple of things worth noting.

1. Regier helped assemble the 99 Cup team as well as the huge run we had post lock out circa 05-07. Darcy didn’t totally suck at his job until Terry came to town. 

2. Found the interview I was thinking about. It was WGR a bit of a state of the union. Here is the quote. Who knew this would be so telling. 

“Pegula hinted that his arrival as owner in February 2011 hasn’t been universally accepted.

“I think if you probably talk to other owners around the league, they might think that I may spend too much money,” Pegula said. “You may hear that or whatever, but that’s my style. … You might talk to some of the other owners around the league, and they’ll tell you, ‘Who’s this new owner? What is he, crazy? Why did you give this guy money or that guy?’ Hey, it’s my decision. It was something I wanted to do.””.

3. With the benefit of hindsight and being drunk on a full wallet compared to Galisano,  being reminded that Vanek and Miller basically asked to leave fairly early into this process wasn’t fun. 

“…Ryan Miller and leading scorer Thomas Vanek have made it known they’d be accepting of trades as they head into the final year of their contracts.…

“I can tell the fans I’m concerned, too,” said Pegula, who has turned down numerous interview requests by The Buffalo News. “Yes, we want them here. They have a say in that decision. What that decision is, no one’s been re-signed yet, so we’re still working. … Don’t forget, they’re part of that decision.””

EDIT: sorry, I forgot to link. It’s behind a paywall. As a good citizen I want everybody to know that piracy is bad, and if you know anybody using removepaywall.com you should report them to the proper authorities. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-owner-pegula-states-his-case-for-regier/article_720ab6fa-7897-54ed-be8e-530b0e2e620e.html

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

1. Regier helped assemble the 99 Cup team as well as the huge run we had post lock out circa 05-07. Darcy didn’t totally suck at his job until Terry came to town. 

2. Found the interview I was thinking about. It was WGR a bit of a state of the union. Here is the quote. Who knew this would be so telling. 

“Pegula hinted that his arrival as owner in February 2011 hasn’t been universally accepted.

“I think if you probably talk to other owners around the league, they might think that I may spend too much money,” Pegula said. “You may hear that or whatever, but that’s my style. … You might talk to some of the other owners around the league, and they’ll tell you, ‘Who’s this new owner? What is he, crazy? Why did you give this guy money or that guy?’ Hey, it’s my decision. It was something I wanted to do.””.

3. With the benefit of hindsight and being drunk on a full wallet compared to Galisano,  being reminded that Vanek and Miller basically asked to leave fairly early into this process wasn’t fun. 

“…Ryan Miller and leading scorer Thomas Vanek have made it known they’d be accepting of trades as they head into the final year of their contracts.…

“I can tell the fans I’m concerned, too,” said Pegula, who has turned down numerous interview requests by The Buffalo News. “Yes, we want them here. They have a say in that decision. What that decision is, no one’s been re-signed yet, so we’re still working. … Don’t forget, they’re part of that decision.””

Lol his quote in #2 is so hilariously embarrassing 

..can’t believe the “it takes two parties” lingo was already making its way into the vernacular by then. It’s not a flex, Terry. People don’t want to be here cause the team never makes the playoffs.

You don’t need to be good to make the playoffs. You just need to be mediocre, once 

• Thanks (+1) 2

On the plus side, Mrs. Slinky got all the presents wrapped as I sat upstairs running the gamut of Sabres fandom emotions for 2.5 hours...devolving into an angry beast by the 3rd period. I think I just sat and chuckled for the last 10 minutes Really, though, in retrospect, wrapping presents would have been more enjoyable.

My youngest, bless her heart, loves the Sabres, too and asked me sometime during the second period: "how are the Sabres doing, daddy?" All I could respond with was...

tokator-rambo.gif

We took a weekend trip up to St. Paul to hit the Mall of America this past weekend. Took in the Wild-Canucks game Saturday afternoon. Two solid teams that play real hockey. My girls got some Wild swag while we were at the arena. That might be an easier path for them, even in salary cap hell.

Edited by HumanSlinky39

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Lol his quote in #2 is so hilariously embarrassing 

..can’t believe the “it takes two parties” lingo was already making its way into the vernacular by then. It’s not a flex, Terry. People don’t want to be here cause the team never makes the playoffs.

You don’t need to be good to make the playoffs. You just need to be mediocre, once 

Everyday I might mail Terry Pegula a postcard with that quote and the days since the last Sabres playoff appearance on it until he hires a president of hockey ops and stays in Florida. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Mango said:

EDIT: sorry, I forgot to link. It’s behind a paywall. As a good citizen I want everybody to know that piracy is bad, and if you know anybody using removepaywall.com you should report them to the proper authorities. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-owner-pegula-states-his-case-for-regier/article_720ab6fa-7897-54ed-be8e-530b0e2e620e.html

Some darn ruffians use archive.is too!

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Their bar is so dang low if they thought they actually did something last year.

‘zactly. You don’t hang a moral victory banner because you came *close* to achieving a result that half the league’s teams do: they finished 20th place in a league of 32. And in a league literally designed and formulated to facilitate parity (ex. Loser points), we are about to flip “heads” 13 times in a row.

Just make the playoffs already. The realization of how actively bad ownership and management HAD to have been is what’s angering. It keeps getting more ridiculous the further it goes. It’s just stupid at this point lol 

Edited by Thorny
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Terry Pegula is 72 years old. You'd think that of all of us, he'd be at the top of the "just one before I die" list. Apparently, he'd rather line his coffin with his billions than spend it trying to see a Stanley Cup hoisted in WNY during his last years on earth. This once proud franchise in a laughingstock, Terry, and the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the obtuse dolt staring back at you in the mirror every morning. Do something now or sell the team and get the f*ck out of the way. We deserve much better even if you feel you (and we don't). Cripes...

<rant over>

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I absolutely love the Sabres but this is becoming a joke. The fans of Buffalo deserve better like alot better! I for one actually like how the Sabres have drafted but they need a leader on the backend that can bring more out of Dahlin and Power and the rest of the young defense. Plus after Kyle Okposo’s contract was over he should have been let go. And then making him the Captain. No, but hell no. Plus Granato isn’t the right coach for this squad. They need a coach that’s tough who can get this young group to play hard. It’s embarrassing how they are losing. Absolutely no excuse for this. They look like run and gun pickup hockey playing ***** defense. The team defense is non existent. If your a forward and your not gonna back check hard then you might be sitting on the bench or the press box. 

Now onto the people that want to talk about the NBA or the NFL. Both leagues have lost a ton of fans. Sorry, but after the NBA and the NFL got too political that was it for me. I’m done with these losers. I know a lot of people have turned away from both. Your job is to play a sport and we don’t want to hear about you being targeted by the cops. I think most of the country is tired of hearing about this crap. I know I don’t want the NBA in Vegas as that flipping idiot Lebron wants a team here. It will bring more idiots from California here who are like a cancer just ***** things up in each state they move to. Besides a lot of the crime that happens in Vegas is coming from California. 

Edited by SabresBillsFan
  • dislike 1

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I really hope after this game everyone will stop saying the goaltending situation is not a problem.  The Sabres do NOT have a #1 tendy on this team this year and it has been obvious all season. Levi will be great, but he’s not there yet…

It’s not just the goaltending, their team defense is atrocious. Plus someone needs to tell Power it’s time to bulk up, get tough and work on that foot speed. Your offensive leaders in Tuch and Thompson need to bring it game in and game out. Both have been lollygagging way too much. If you are gonna keep Granato then fire his assistant coaches. Even if the Sabres reel off a handful of wins by some miracle, I still don’t see this team making the playoffs. I think a lot of analysts think Buffalo was gonna be a decent team but still not a playoff team. It should be interesting to see what happens if the losing continues.

Edited by SabresBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

This is the most brain numbingly dumb post game comment I’ve ever seen

Well part of the problem (only part) might be the "captain" was back on the bench smiling about scoring a goal when the game was 7-2. 

As others have said though it does reflect an incredibly low bar (and it's somewhat delusional).

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

It’s not just the goaltending, their team defense is atrocious. Plus someone needs to tell Power it’s time to bulk up, get tough and work on that foot speed. Your offensive leaders in Tuch and Thompson need to bring it game in and game out. Both have been lollygagging way too much. If you are gonna keep Granato then fire his assistant coaches. Even if the Sabres reel off a handful of wins by some miracle, I still don’t see this team making the playoffs. I think a lot of analysts think Buffalo was gonna be a decent team but still not a playoff team. It should be interesting to see what happens if the losing continues.

This is true, and I've talked about team defense for years (it was the "easier" part according to Meatballs) but I don't put the blame on Power. I put it on a team that expects a kid his age to come in and be a team's number 2 D man right away. It's an absurd concept to say the least. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.