Time for Leadership Change - Trade KO and Give Dahlin the C

GASabresIUFAN

There have been 4 players all season who have played with effort every night.  Their names are Dahlin, Mittelstadt, Benson and Peterka.  Injuries have slowed a few key guys (TNT, Cozens and Tuch), but their efforts have been lacking many nights when they are in the lineup.   Outside Dahlin, the other D have been consistently inconsistent.

It's time to make a change in the leadership.  Time to trade KO and let him hook up with a team heading to the playoffs.  It's also now time to make this Dahlin's team.  He is the team's best player, most consistent contributor, and toughest competitor.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, inkman said:

I guess the biggest hang up would be getting Okie’s consent.  Maybe he would be open to it but would any contenders want him?

He doesn't have an NTC/NMC, but I agree KA would discuss it with him before making a trade.  

I do think there is a market for KO.  Playoff teams are looking for vets who can add some depth scoring.  His recent scoring should help.  I also think KO is well respected in the league and someone will want him in their locker room.   However, if I were KA I'd make the move sooner than later.  He needs to change the dynamic here and that would be a great start.

23 minutes ago, inkman said:

I guess the biggest hang up would be getting Okie’s consent.  Maybe he would be open to it but would any contenders want him?

I don't think he would give his consent and the Sabres will not entertain trading him.  Both parties are extremely loyal.

This is most likely KO's last season as a player.  He will be hired as a someone in charge of something off the ice maybe after a year of retirement.

• Agree 4

Personally, believe the C would mean more to Tuch.  And expect most of his issues this year are stemming from the injury he suffered as TC opened.  Likely groin or hamstring.

Also, Tuch does all the little things you expect in a captain.  Between periods, he's the guy over talking up the refs.  He's the guy that saw RJ at the end of the bench and brought him out onto the ice.  There is a noticable lull in the F's drive in the 1st game that Tuch isn't in the lineup.  (No, they didn't do anything with him in last night, but nobody was on their game and expect Tuch isn't close to 100% either.)

Either he or Dahlin would make a fine captain.  But expect this is more Tuch's team and as stated above, expect it means more to him than it would Ras.

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Personally, believe the C would mean more to Tuch.  And expect most of his issues this year are stemming from the injury he suffered as TC opened.  Likely groin or hamstring.

Also, Tuch does all the little things you expect in a captain.  Between periods, he's the guy over talking up the refs.  He's the guy that saw RJ at the end of the bench and brought him out onto the ice.  There is a noticable lull in the F's drive in the 1st game that Tuch isn't in the lineup.  (No, they didn't do anything with him in last night, but nobody was on their game and expect Tuch isn't close to 100% either.)

Either he or Dahlin would make a fine captain.  But expect this is more Tuch's team and as stated above, expect it means more to him than it would Ras.

All the internet GMs think Tuch should be captain basically because he likes the Bills and grew up on the same street as Tim Connolly.  But everyone on the team always references Rasmus as their leader.  🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't think he would give his consent and the Sabres will not entertain trading him.  Both parties are extremely loyal.

This is most likely KO's last season as a player.  He will be hired as a someone in charge of something off the ice maybe after a year of retirement.

That loyalty is part of the problem.  If KO would rather play out the string than try to win, I think that's a huge indictment of his leadership.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Exactly.

After everything He went through off the ice a few seasons ago there is no way he leaves His Family for an extended period of time.

Last night not withstanding, KO has looked better away from Zemgus. 

Just now, inkman said:

All the internet GMs think Tuch should be captain basically because he likes the Bills and grew up on the same street as Tim Connolly.  But everyone on the team always references Rasmus as their leader.  🤷‍♂️

The leader of the D or the leader?  

Trading Okposo? Pipe dream.

After all the preaching Adams does about wanting players who want to be here, they're not going to trade a veteran, their captain, who they just re-signed this past summer and send him packing in December or January. Okposo is a trade candidate at the trade deadline, if he chooses, to go to a contender and get one more crack at the playoffs. Even then, i doubt there would be interest in him. 

The current situation isn't ideal but you can forget about them trading Okposo and naming a new captain mid-season.

Edited by Two or less
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

With respect, the bolded is nonsense.

Sorry, it's not nonsense.  He is clearly playing out the string.  He was MIA for the first 20+ games, and under his leadership the team has accomplished nothing.  He doesn’t hold his teammates or himself accountable for bad play and the team reflects that attitude.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I know, maybe KO should write a letter to the fans letting us all know how they’ve embraced the challenge of raised expectations, how they simply won’t settle for anything less than a playoff run, and how much each guy has bought in to the commitment. 

😂😂😂😂

17 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

Dahlin is next captain. Should have happened this year. Tuch is not a special player. He is not always full effort every night. You see this in his defensive zone play unfortunately. Some of that is Granato wanting players up the ice but some of it is on him. 

Tuch or Cozens can be like Drury, very good player with leadership skills.  I'm not sold on Dahlin as a leader yet and I'm a little snake-bit on the "special player" criteria. My leader needs to take care of the puck always and hold his teammates accountable, lead by example, not just be super skilled and high compete.  Happy to be wrong here and acknowledging Dahlin has grown and will continue to.  And I'm also very ready for change.  And I agree with Inkman the teammates seem to say it, EJ said it a few weeks ago, though it felt weird like a robot saying it (and it's his job, both to mentor and say these words).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Just for a handful of years… Then turn it over to Dahlin… We need to build a Core Leadership team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

for whatever 'leadership' Okposo brings/brought, simply put: it wasnt good enough.

You were the leader of a consistently inconsistent underachieving perennially losing team.

For that alone, along with his age, please go on to other pastures please lol.

Great guy Kyle Okposo, great guy (even tho i dont know him), wish nothing but the best for him. But its been long time to move on. Ive never been a fan of the initial trade to bring him here. Wasnt a fan of extending him. So yeah beyond time to move on imho. Please let this be his final year here. If he would like to go to a contender please do it. I'd like to say he deserves the opportunity if he can get it, but in the 7 years of opportunity here, idk what he deserves tbh. I just want it to be over with.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.