So now what?

Zamboni

6 hours ago, Hank said:

Moves, yes. I fully expect he moves an expiring asset or two, but I think the return will be picks, not players. 

I doubt he'll make any moves to acquire any vet talent in season.  Part of his rationale is having only players who "want" to be here.  As much as I'd like to see more experienced power forward type players, he is too inflexible.

13 hours ago, Hank said:

Greenway and Jost were added in season last year. The bolded is a bold lie. What are you doing?  I don’t think he'll add anyone this year either, but what are you doing?

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

I thought they were deadline additions 

If not I stand corrected 

I think Jost was a waiver pick up.

Greenway was a in season trade, we gave a 2023 2nd rounder that we got from Vegas, and a 5th rounder in 2024.  

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I think Jost was a waiver pick up.

Greenway was a in season trade, we gave a 2023 2nd rounder that we got from Vegas, and a 5th rounder in 2024.  

Ya Greenway to me was a deadline deal 

Edit: yes, it was on deadline day like I mentioned 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

The trade deadline is in season, still alot of hockey afterwards. Semantics, I guess, carry on. 🤪

It’s not semantics, because in my original post I made a caveat for trade deadline and you still issued the greenway correction 

The correction doesn’t apply because I already thought of him and had him under the deadline designation 

already mentioned I forgot about Jost 

Edited by Thorny

23 hours ago, Thorny said:

The Sabres aren’t going to add anyone in-season before the trade deadline

22 hours ago, Hank said:

Greenway and Jost were added in season last year. The bolded is a bold lie.

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Wouldn't Perry be the SOB that we all crave ?   Assuming that what happened in Chicago wasn't that far over the line.  Though we do know that  it wasn't criminal   

Homeboy was fired and the NHLPA didn’t contest it. That speaks volumes about whatever happened. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This is an absolute mess. There doesn’t seem to be any understanding of the system and accountability needed to succeed in the NHL.

unfortunately this franchise has seen zero success since Pegula bought the team. He trusts Adams and he is his guy but it doesn’t look like they are any closer to icing a competitive team.

I have no answers. I mean if someone would buy them and keep them in Buffalo who would hire some competent, successful NHL people to run the team that would be a best case scenario at this point.

I have been a diehard fan since the early 80s and I can’t be bothered watching the games anymore. It’s just so sad.

• Like (+1) 1

Sabres. Mediocrity. Again.

Why?

> Very poor roster construction. I get the draft and develop, but GMKA is showing his lack of experience…. Did not bring in veteran leadership that is making a difference on and off ice (OK, I will grove you EJ Sr.) Not enough. One word: Detroit…. (see below)

Early injuries.  Every team has injuries. The injuries have exposed Sabre's lack of depth.  Exhibit one: 11/7 lineups 

Coaching. Something is just not connecting.

• Too much youth and guys who made roster easily in prior seasons, with a small handful of veterans, but that is the cards dealt.
  • Not enough accountability. Need to sit guys.  
  • The majority of the coaching staff is young in years on NHL staffs. Meatballs has a total of 7 yrs. 

> No winning leadership. (players 29 yrs. up) - less than 80 playoff games of experience on the team (only 2 players to boot)

• Oakie and Z have not won in the league. Oakie 24 playoff games, Z = ZERO
  • Skinny "Between Two Stalls" is on hiatus, and he is not a leader. Also ZERO playoff experience
  • EJ Sr. adding value on PK early, but not sure what he can do on his own in his first (and only) year w Sabres. 55 NHL games, and a Cup.

None is enough to show the young ins what winning NHL hockey takes.

Management:

• GMKA's focus seems to be way too much on culture, and not enough on results, and accountability.
  • Did a good job moving and getting some good value for Jack, Rino, and Risto.
  • Great that he talks with other GMs regularly. So, that got us what?
  • So far seems to love “his guys”.
    • Needs to put on his big boy pants and make the necessary deals to get this roster construction in a better place.
    • Need to move guys, prospects, picks, and use cap space in smart, bold trades to grow this team.

This is where it gets hard Kev...

Detroit's rebuild included a mix of veterans and younger players. Now have added (will see what happens) Kane mid year.

Sabres' latest rebuild:

• Drafting and developing young players. OK. 
  • Veteran leadership (see above). Not acceptable.
  • Did nothing of note in off-season (unless you want to argue: 1/ Oakie's buddy EJ Sr and 2/ Clifton, another US Developmental League guy from Granato's time there). .Weak tea.

This form of "rebuild" takes more time than we the fans are able to deal with anymore, after 12 years and talk in the preseason of playoffs (everyone drinking the Kool aid).....as THE DROUGHT, as this team is presently built and coached, looks to continue.

Whatcha gonna do GMKA, Donnie, Terry?

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

This is an absolute mess. There doesn’t seem to be any understanding of the system and accountability needed to succeed in the NHL.

unfortunately this franchise has seen zero success since Pegula bought the team. He trusts Adams and he is his guy but it doesn’t look like they are any closer to icing a competitive team.

I have no answers. I mean if someone would buy them and keep them in Buffalo who would hire some competent, successful NHL people to run the team that would be a best case scenario at this point.

I have been a diehard fan since the early 80s and I can’t be bothered watching the games anymore. It’s just so sad.

70 for me. I don’t expect much anymore 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

17 minutes ago, Goldseatsaud said:

70 for me. I don’t expect much anymore 

Fan since 1970 as well. Haven’t given up but I stopped getting pissed many years ago. 

I was really impressed with the team last season. Although not the talent, they reminded me of the early 80s Oilers. But the young talent has collectively regressed. Everything everywhere all at once. 

Many keep harping on goaltending and that’s a problem but it’s not the fix. This unit has become dysfunctional. They can’t score or play defense. 

All of that points to one central issue. Coaching. Yes, there are problems and though I think Adams has done well getting young talent, He doesn’t seem to know what to do with trades and luring vets here. 

Interestingly enough, the team that hammered us tonight, the Hurricanes, had a nine year playoff drought. They were really bad for a while. Then they hired Brind’Amour and he immediately turned things around. They traded away some who did not fit and they traded some draft choices and signed some players. But they still have a number of players from that group. The hide difference was Brind’Amour. They went from a .500 team out of the playoffs to the conference championship the following season. 

The point is, they need to hire a strong coach. Has to happen this off season. Granato has no sound defensive system or any system. 

We have to bring in someone who will instill toughness, sound teaching and on ice play, and garner respect from the players.  

1 hour ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Every damn year Boston is at the top. Players come and go and they win

Culture.

A very high bar, a demand for excellence, and full accountability. 

Leadership. 

Management there has made a TON of errors and they've botched some of their (few remaining) draft picks as well, but in general players who go there raise their level of performance (eg. JVR this year) whereas here the exact opposite happens (eg. Clifton). They use free agency every year to fill their holes though as best they can. It's a commitment to at least trying to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

So what now?  

Find a goalie.  Bench some forwards who aren't working hard enough.  Fire Ellis.  Bring in a faceoff and PP coach.  Trade for forward help.  

Or take the KA approach, fake that you are interested in adding any kind of help now.  Call this another development season, alienate your fans some more, trade away what you can at the deadline, and add whatever junk is on the waiver wire.

3 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Sabres. Mediocrity. Again.

Why?

> Very poor roster construction. I get the draft and develop, but GMKA is showing his lack of experience…. Did not bring in veteran leadership that is making a difference on and off ice (OK, I will grove you EJ Sr.) Not enough. One word: Detroit…. (see below)

Early injuries.  Every team has injuries. The injuries have exposed Sabre's lack of depth.  Exhibit one: 11/7 lineups 

Coaching. Something is just not connecting.

• Too much youth and guys who made roster easily in prior seasons, with a small handful of veterans, but that is the cards dealt.
  • Not enough accountability. Need to sit guys.  
  • The majority of the coaching staff is young in years on NHL staffs. Meatballs has a total of 7 yrs. 

> No winning leadership. (players 29 yrs. up) - less than 80 playoff games of experience on the team (only 2 players to boot)

• Oakie and Z have not won in the league. Oakie 24 playoff games, Z = ZERO
  • Skinny "Between Two Stalls" is on hiatus, and he is not a leader. Also ZERO playoff experience
  • EJ Sr. adding value on PK early, but not sure what he can do on his own in his first (and only) year w Sabres. 55 NHL games, and a Cup.

None is enough to show the young ins what winning NHL hockey takes.

Management:

• GMKA's focus seems to be way too much on culture, and not enough on results, and accountability.
  • Did a good job moving and getting some good value for Jack, Rino, and Risto.
  • Great that he talks with other GMs regularly. So, that got us what?
  • So far seems to love “his guys”.
    • Needs to put on his big boy pants and make the necessary deals to get this roster construction in a better place.
    • Need to move guys, prospects, picks, and use cap space in smart, bold trades to grow this team.

This is where it gets hard Kev...

Detroit's rebuild included a mix of veterans and younger players. Now have added (will see what happens) Kane mid year.

Sabres' latest rebuild:

• Drafting and developing young players. OK. 
  • Veteran leadership (see above). Not acceptable.
  • Did nothing of note in off-season (unless you want to argue: 1/ Oakie's buddy EJ Sr and 2/ Clifton, another US Developmental League guy from Granato's time there). .Weak tea.

This form of "rebuild" takes more time than we the fans are able to deal with anymore, after 12 years and talk in the preseason of playoffs (everyone drinking the Kool aid).....as THE DROUGHT, as this team is presently built and coached, looks to continue.

Whatcha gonna do GMKA, Donnie, Terry?

Loved this break down.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 11/29/2023 at 10:04 AM, Carmel Corn said:

I doubt he'll make any moves to acquire any vet talent in season.  Part of his rationale is having only players who "want" to be here.  As much as I'd like to see more experienced power forward type players, he is too inflexible.

Think about that...who really wants to be in Buffalo?

26 minutes ago, nucci said:

Think about that...who really wants to be in Buffalo?

None of them. They all want out, the corny videos be damned.

This is a slow motion car accident. It's becoming an existential crisis for the franchise.

This is bad. People are going to stop caring. Our beloved franchise is being murdered bc some moron needs to own *****.

• Like (+1) 2

They need to fire Granato immediately and find an interim replacement.  The season is lost anyway so try to find someone who at the least has a plan.  And enough of only wanting players who want to be here.  Players want to win and make a fair salary.  Culture I'm sure is way down on their list.  That way of thinking is just stupid and has to change.  And, in order to get players of value you need to give up valued prospects -- see Baseball as a model example of this.  If Adams can't do this he needs to go too.  The clock is ticking on the entire franchise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.