IT'S GAME DAY: Buffalo Sabres (9-9-2) @ New Jersey Devils (8-9-1) Sat 7pm MSG, ESPN+

Shoot da Puck

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The quality of this board has declined precipitously. Kinda appropriate, I guess, given the state of the franchise.

@PAsabresFan, You can’t blame the fans.  And I’m too old to make a reasonable contribution.  

Grandpa Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, pi2000 said:

So, Jokiharju who has the 3rd best +/- on the team gets scratched in favor of the guy with the worst +/- on the team in Clifton... and they lose by 5 with Clifton putting up a -4.   

This team, smh.

Think it may have been more about Joker being sick and not ready for a back to back.  
Though I agree that Clifton should slide into the 7 spot when everyone is healthy 

9 minutes ago, Quint said:

I wonder how this team would do with a new owner. Under Pegula, the Sabres have known nothing but failure, mostly on an epic scale. Seems the best Sabres fans can hope for is mediocrity.

Before he hangs out the for-sale sign, maybe he can hire people who aren't complete newbs at their jobs.

• Like (+1) 1

I missed last night's game, but I guess I didn't miss much. Adding yet two more rookies into an already (comparably) unstructured defensive team and taking out two of your best defensive forwards... against the Devils? The outcome isn't too surprising.

What is surprising is that when GM Sheevyn lost Girgs and Greenway, the callups weren't veteran or more sound defensive players. The obvious replacement to Girgs from Rochester is Rousek. There is no obvious replacement for Greenway in terms of acumen/size. Cederqvist doesn't have the speed. So maybe Rousek and one of the kids. Or Biro who at least has skated with the team recently.

But to try and ice Benson, Kulich, Rosen, and adding in VO and Jost who aren't exactly dominating this season, that's on the GM.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Biron talking about he has given four goals before in a monologue about overcoming the deficit. 

1. Different team Marty

2. You weren’t exactly the greatest goaltender. Just saying 

You know he had a top 25 all-time save percentage for goalies with over 500 games played, right? He wasn't hasek, but .910 is pretty damn good. He's also top 35 in GAA for players over 500 games.

35 minutes ago, Quint said:

I wonder how this team would do with a new owner. Under Pegula, the Sabres have known nothing but failure, mostly on an epic scale. Seems the best Sabres fans can hope for is mediocrity.

It’s 100% safe to say that any other owner could do no worse.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He could have easily improved on Kebs, Jost, VO, Joker, and the  Clifton acquisition …

Adams blew the offseason   Krebs, Levi, Johnson, Kulich, Rosen should all be in Rochester.  They are kids  

Girgs is best of the bottom tier. 

3 of them were/are in rochester and are just here due to injury. Krebs hasn't been the prospect we thought he'd be, but no amount of rochester is changing that. Levi is way too good for Rochester. The problem is that Levi should have been put behind a #1 goalie like Hellebuyck. He would have been able to learn from a high end talent while focusing on playing 20-30 games. Instead he played 100% of the games until he got injured, like you'd ask of a #1 in his prime. That's unreasonable for a rookie.

15 hours ago, Marvin said:

You don't remember Rocky Farr or Gary Bromley, do you?

never heard of eaither of them. Well before my time. Anyone in the last 40 years?

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Before he hangs out the for-sale sign, maybe he can hire people who aren't complete newbs at their jobs.

Pegula just doesn't get it. He and his "team" has a history of hiring the cheapest management, GMs and coaches he can find. So it appears he doesn't place much importance and has no vision in the management of the club. Hiring management is no fun but it is fun to have tons of high #1 draft choice players who have fancy moves and can shoot the puck 100mph. But without proper management, it's putting the cart before the horse and the team has spun its wheels for years. With Pegula at the top, we are going nowhere.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Quint said:

Pegula just doesn't get it. He and his "team" has a history of hiring the cheapest management, GMs and coaches he can find. So it appears he doesn't place much importance and has no vision in the management of the club. Hiring management is no fun but it is fun to have tons of high #1 draft choice players who have fancy moves and can shoot the puck 100mph. But without proper management, it's putting the cart before the horse and the team has spun its wheels for years. With Pegula at the top, we are going nowhere.

He use to hire the top rated coaches and GMS.

I'm not saying he's great but let's not act like he doesn't spend big money on things 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Quint said:

I just pondered the head space of this team. Why the lack of confidence and belief. Imagine realizing your dream of playing in the NHL and looking up at your braintrust of Adams Granato and Pegula. It's a joke.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m sure someone else will do the work but is there evidence to support this from Big Yachty?  

Cheap? Not much if any data would be available re: how much TP's coaches and GMs have made. Murray and Botterill would be on the low end, you'd think, as first time GMs. Adams presumably is making even less than those two. Bylsma might have commanded a decent salary, but Rolston, Housley, RaKru and Granato? Not so much.

I'm not sure cheap is the first thing that comes to Terry's mind. Maybe that changed around the early pandemic period. What Terry likes is familiar (Pittsburgh people of all stripes, former Sabres and of course fine young men) and unproven  There's an apparent development fetish, too.

3 hours ago, Quint said:

I completely agree.  Is nobody in a position of influence watching what we are? 

19 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

Rosen 156lbs.

This information is wrong. In fact I'm not sure it's ever been correct or what site it comes from. EP has Rosen listed at 174lbs.

Edited by LGR4GM
It comes from hockey db but I find they don't update these things often
  • Agree 1

Disaster game, of course.

Honestly, I don’t think there is a coach on the Sabres who knows how to coach defense. It’s so horrendous. 

Watching them play defense is like watching one of those old table hockey  games where the players only go up and down in certain slots. I forget which goal it was, But both Sabres’ defensemen were standing on either side of the net in the slot, about 5 feet wide of the net, while two New Jersey devil players were standing right in front of the goalie and screening him so he couldn’t see a shot. What on earth? Where is the coaching? How is it they are not moving those guys out? 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.