GDT: Sabres @ Hurricanes: November 7, 2023 @ 7:00PM, MSG-B, BSSO

SABRES 0311

10 hours ago, Spoonman said:

ROB RAY excuse machine is on: Blah Blah Blah......can't get a change.....Blah Blah. 

They could have gotten a change.  When the puck came out of the Canes zone that line chose to press on with the offense and go right back in, instead of dropping back and completing a line change.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

Respectfully, I get that, and I support the the right of any person that finds that post(or any post) offensive. I just abhor censorship, independent of whether for not I agree with. a particular point of view. Personally, hockey for me is a diversion from the crap show that is modern politics, socioeconomic, and geopolitical turmoil. Heretofore, the closest we came to controversy of that nature on these forums was the "pride" warm jerseys, which is a nothing burger.

Saying a post comparing what's happening in Gaza with hockey is crap isn't censorship. 

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

They could have gotten a change.  When the puck came out of the Canes zone that line chose to press on with the offense and go right back in, instead of dropping back and completing a line change.

The issue of making a change or not is a delicate balancing act made in the heat of the action. In hindsight, not making the change proved costly. Our players on the ice were gassed and lost control. The countering argument is that it wasn't unreasonable to go for the score when the ice was open when we were on the attack. 

@Pimlach understandably expressed a different view that two points, instead of one, were there for the taking. I'll gladly, although not fully satisfied, take the one point and move on. My general takeaway from this game is that we played the hard style of two way hockey against a tough opponent that we need to consistently play. And in this game, we got quality netminding. If we can maintain the style of play and current caliber of netminding, we should be in a good position when we head toward the end of the season. 

It was disappointing that Cozens couldn't play in this game. He needlessly got in a senseless fight of his own making that sidelined him. It hurt the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The issue of making a change or not is a delicate balancing act made in the heat of the action. In hindsight, not making the change proved costly. Our players on the ice were gassed and lost control. The countering argument is that it wasn't unreasonable to go for the score when the ice was open when we were on the attack. 

@Pimlach understandably expressed a different view that two points, instead of one, were there for the taking. I'll gladly, although not fully satisfied, take the one point and move on. My general takeaway from this game is that we played the hard style of two way hockey against a tough opponent that we need to consistently play. And in this game, we got quality netminding. If we can maintain the style of play and current caliber of netminding, we should be in a good position when we head toward the end of the season. 

It was disappointing that Cozens couldn't play in this game. He needlessly got in a senseless fight of his own making that sidelined him. It hurt the team. 

I get the “feel good” feeling of getting a point on the road against a tough team.  That feels good, sort of. 

My emotions we higher than normal because of the mistake.  The missed change was not terrible when you are on attack.  The goalies failure to cover the puck was hopefully a lesson learned.  Moving on to Minny.  We need to get above .500

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Buffalo needs to either waive or trade Olofsson. He had exactly 1 good play yesterday where he deflected a puck out of the zone. This is the thing that worries me most about Adams and company, when the time comes they won't have enough of that ruthless mentality to walk away from players. 

Wholeheartedly agree.  The org has already told us what they thought of him by playing Benson and now Savoie over him.  It’s too bad injuries have forced VO into the lineup. I think we’d all rather see Kulich or Rosen at this point.  They need to get him off the roster.  He kills whatever line he plays on.  

I imagine if they keep Benson and Savoie past their 9 games and Quinn gets healthy, Olofsson will have to go.  Let’s hope it’s sooner rather than later.  The Olofsson, Krebs line was not good.  They need to do something about that line soon.  I am also running out of leash with Peyton.  Love the kids spirit but I’m not sure he isn’t JAG.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, bg17 said:

Regarding the lack of a line change in overtime - Sabres had to get to the far bench. Good chance it would go sour regardless. 

They had full control of the puck through the first shift.  The puck came out over the blue line.  Instead of re-attacking they could have retreated to their own zone and completed a change.  They should have.  They typically do just that in OT; why they pressed on in this case with a tired line I have no idea.

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I get the “feel good” feeling of getting a point on the road against a tough team.  That feels good, sort of. 

My emotions we higher than normal because of the mistake.  The missed the change was not terrible when you are on attack.  The goalies failure to cover the puck was hopefully a lesson learned.  Moving on to Minny.  We need to get above .500

Yes, UPL should have covered the puck. That was a mistake by a young goalie that was made in the heat of the battle. The bigger and more encouraging takeaway in this game was that UPL played well. If we get this caliber of netminding by our goaltenders this season, I will be very happy.

• Like (+1) 3

ONE point may have been good enough to make fans happy last year, but it should not be now.   I am tired of the idea that they have to LEARN from their mistakes, like last night.  Granato has had enough time that they should know what to do, but that did not happen.  

A lost point opportunity in November means that the Sabres are a game earlier into PLAYOFF mode in the spring...meaning they have to play under more intense pressure earlier in the new year and risk burn out (even if they make the playoffs).

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

ONE point may have been good enough to make fans happy last year, but it should not be now.   I am tired of the idea that they have to LEARN from their mistakes, like last night.  Granato has had enough time that they should know what to do, but that did not happen.  

A lost point opportunity in November means that the Sabres are a game earlier into PLAYOFF mode in the spring...meaning they have to play under more intense pressure earlier in the new year and risk burn out (even if they make the playoffs).

I don't know if you watched the game last night. Any person who is fair-minded would have to acknowledge that Carolina outperformed Buffalo. Not by a lot, but on balance you would have to give them the edge. My point is with respect to this game take the point and be happy. In general, I'm pleased with how we played, especially our goaltender. We earned the point that we got. I'll take that point and not complain about. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, inkman said:

Wholeheartedly agree.  The org has already told us what they thought of him by playing Benson and now Savoie over him.  It’s too bad injuries have forced VO into the lineup. I think we’d all rather see Kulich or Rosen at this point.  They need to get him off the roster.  He kills whatever line he plays on.  

I imagine if they keep Benson and Savoie past their 9 games and Quinn gets healthy, Olofsson will have to go.  Let’s hope it’s sooner rather than later.  The Olofsson, Krebs line was not good.  They need to do something about that line soon.  I am also running out of leash with Peyton.  Love the kids spirit but I’m not sure he isn’t JAG.  

To this point in time Krebs has had almost no impact on any line he ends up on. His playmaking is non existent (I think because he lacks the high end manipulation skills to do it) and his shot is a slow moving turd. At this point I view him as the eventual Okposo 4th line replacement and not much else. He really needs to find his game this season or honestly, I would consider moving on from him. Jost brings everything Krebs does but with better results. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, inkman said:

I am also running out of leash with Peyton.  Love the kids spirit but I’m not sure he isn’t JAG.  

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

To this point in time Krebs has had almost no impact on any line he ends up on. His playmaking is non existent (I think because he lacks the high end manipulation skills to do it) and his shot is a slow moving turd. At this point I view him as the eventual Okposo 4th line replacement and not much else. He really needs to find his game this season or honestly, I would consider moving on from him. Jost brings everything Krebs does but with better results. 

Yep. Krebs is a curious case. The team's business side adores him - for obvious reasons, he's got Hockey Hollywood good looks and a nice vibe. But he just isn't bringing anything to the table. I also prefer Jost in that role. As for the idea of replacing Okposo, Krebs, at most, might replace Okposo's current level of play, but that is an area where the team needs to improve.

We need to get whipping boys Victor O and Bryson out of our brains and focus on the fact that theTEAM needs to do a better job overall. 

PP is broke. They might as well decline it most times, if given that absurd option. The opposition has better scoring opportunities more often than not. That should be worked on heavily every practice or .500 and no playoffs is the expected result.

Getting the puck out of their own zone is another issue. Backchecking, instead of floating. I can only fault the Goalies so much. 

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Maybe Krebs will "click" but so far this year he has not performed.  

The only good thing about VO playing, and it is minor, is that maybe he gets a few goals and gets his trade value up.  

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

To the bold, I would say look at Casey Mittelstadt 2+ years ago.  I don't think Krebs' ceiling is as high as Casey's, but I think there's more there.  But on the other hand, do the Sabres have to wait to see what Krebs does in a couple of years or should we just jump over to the next prospect up?  When Casey was developing there wasn't the same number of prospects pushing into the lineup.  It's a different situation now.

I tend to agree though:  If he remains a Sabre, the 4th line is where he will likely end up.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is America, which means a crap post like what your referring is allowed to be called out. We don't have to "turn the channel" aka ignore it. 

You've been on this board long enough to know that expressing outrage at a post is an attempt to get the post deleted. It's taking a flamboyant dive and hoping the ref sees it. Be honest. Poster should have aimed his analogy a bit to the East and it would have been fine.

As for Krebs, I think he's self aware enough to know he has to craft a certain image to stick around. He's got to be the pest with the cray cray eyes. The lockerroom bruh. Hence some of his antics last season. This season not so much.

Smell has a weird way of evaluating men's looks. First Tay Tay's beard and now this.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

As for Krebs, I think he's self aware enough to know he has to craft a certain image to stick around. He's got to be the pest with the cray cray eyes. The lockerroom bruh. Hence some of his antics last season. This season not so much.

This is a good take.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Smell has a weird way of evaluating men's looks. First Tay Tay's beard and now this.

You never @ me, bro. I almost missed this.

I draw a blank on Tay Tay's beard. Are you referring to Travis Kelce?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.