Goaltending Trade Prospects

Crusader1969

There are a lot of posters here who are clamouring for GMKA to trade for a goalie but who?

Last season Demko and Helleybuck seemed like possibilities but no longer are.  So who else would you like the Sabres to trade for that would be a definite upgrade to the 3 already on the roster.

I have two names that could be available but neither is a slam dunk improvement...Jake Allen (MTL) and Jacob Markstrom (CLG)

I find Markstrom hasn’t been very good for his salary. He has been a starter for quite a few years but hasn’t really won much.

I remember Marty Biron talking about him and not liking his style of goaltending.

There is not much talent currently available, probably have to stick out the season with what they have.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I find Markstrom hasn’t been very good for his salary. He has been a starter for quite a few years but hasn’t really won much.

I remember Marty Biron talking about him and not liking his style of goaltending.

There is not much talent currently available, probably have to stick out the season with what they have.

Yep.  Doubt anyone becomes available until close to the trade deadline.  And by that point, either Adams will feel vindicated by the 3 headed monster or there likely won't be much point to giving up the assets it would take to bring in a rental to supplant what they already have.  (In Adams' eyes in any case.)

I think our goalies are set for the next few years. I believe Comrie has played his last game in blue & gold. So far this year 6K has been at worst, serviceable. Three wins in four starts, two of which he played excellent, one decent, and one clunker where the whole team was *****. If you want more than that from a backup that's a you problem. 6K isn't going anywhere. 

Edited by Hank
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

I think our goalies are set for the next few years. I believe Comrie has played his last game in blue & gold. So far this year 6K has been at worst, serviceable. Three wins in four starts, two of which he played excellent, one decent, and one clunker what the whole team was *****. If you want more than that from a backup that's a you problem. 6K isn't going anywhere. 

I agree with most of your post. Where I slightly disagree with you is that I'm not willing to write of Comrie as a backup. As I see it, Levi is our #1 goalie with Comrie and UPL vying for the backup role. 

As @Flashsabre stated, the bigger issue is the two-way play of the players in front of the goalie. If the Sabres can play the tough brand of hockey that was displayed in the Colorado game, the goalie play will be better. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

I agree with most of your post. Where I slightly disagree with you is that I'm not willing to write of Comrie as a backup. As I see it, Levi is our #1 goalie with Comrie and UPL vying for the backup role. 

As @Flashsabre stated, the bigger issue is the two-way play of the players in front of the goalie. If the Sabres can play the tough brand of hockey that was displayed in the Colorado game, the goalie play will be better. 

This is fair. You may be right about Comrie, we'll find out when he's healthy. My prediction is predicated on the assumption 6K continues to play well until Comrie is back. I could have it back asswards, we'll see. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hank said:

This is fair. You may be right about Comrie, we'll find out when he's healthy. My prediction is predicated on the assumption 6K continues to play well until Comrie is back. I could have it back asswards, we'll see. 

UPL has played 2 good games for sure. That is a drop in the bucket of his career and needs to continue for a considerable amount of time before he deserves the confidence you have.

-------------------------

Comrie has been our best goalie, but he is hurt for who knows how long. Levi is not our number 1, or shouldn't be, he has not had the highs of either of the other two but has shared their lowest lows. We are firmly in "play the hot hand except back to backs" territory. It could be worse, we have usually had a decently hot hand to play 

There have been plenty of possibilities we’ve heard about, and presumably a lot we haven’t, over the course of a long 4 seasons. I think it’s pretty clearly Adams wasn’t very enticed to upgrade beyond what we have - whether he did a good enough job on this front as far as this season goes remains to be seen: results will speak for themselves, so far I think we are about mid-pack in goaltending output? So a solid C 

We really need to look no further than Boston. They play a solid defensive structure and had a historic season last year and again to start this year. Cassidy takes that system and implements it in Vegas and they win the Cup last year and are off to a tremendous start this year.

The wide open offensive teams like Toronto, Edmonton, Buffalo have struggles because they cant clamp down in their own end consistently.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

We really need to look no further than Boston. They play a solid defensive structure and had a historic season last year and again to start this year. Cassidy takes that system and implements it in Vegas and they win the Cup last year and are off to a tremendous start this year.

The wide open offensive teams like Toronto, Edmonton, Buffalo have struggles because they cant clamp down in their own end consistently.

Vegas also scores in waves from multiple lines which served them well in the playoffs as they were rolling 4. They had/have a very underrated 6 strong on D, too. Their actual talent on D last season was very apparent

Edmonton just refuses to surround McDavid / Draisaitl with depth scoring on other lines. Toronto too is becoming increasingly one-note offensively - which is trouble as you point out particularly because they struggle locking down on D - now they are finding it difficult to overcome that with raw scoring even in the regular season 

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Vegas also scores in waves from multiple lines which served them well in the playoffs as they were rolling 4. They had/have a very underrated 6 strong on D, too. Their actual talent on D last season was very apparent

Edmonton just refuses to surround McDavid / Draisaitl with depth scoring on other lines. Toronto too is becoming increasingly one-note offensively 

They said last night that the Leafs have scored 35 goals this year and that Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander And Reilly have scored 28 of the 35 goals.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Flashsabre said:

They said last night that the Leafs have scored 35 goals this year and that Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander And Reilly have scored 28 of the 35 goals.

Ya exactly (sorry was still editing). It serves your point: at least they could overcome their team wide defensive issues through raw scoring in the past and now even that seems to have dried up

I think being such a good regular season team recently I suspect they put it together more so than they have (before crashing and burning in the playoffs, of course)..but maybe they won’t do even that. Interesting to watch.

Good team D improves goaltending but it goes both ways: it’s not a bag of generic, indistinguishable tenders where the ones on Boston win the vezina and the ones on last year’s Buffalo Sabres sit 90th in expected goals: there’s still a spectrum of available talent. Ullmark is a nice one and done example as he was good here, but great in Boston. But he wasn’t UPL here. UPL wouldn’t be Ullmark in Boston, he’d probably improve to Buffalo Ullmark, though

It’s just both: your team D improves goaltending output, and also…your rostered goalies improve your goaltending output  

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I think the point here is that you play a strong defensive game in front of your goalie an avg goalie can put up decent numbers 

Yep. There have been many goalies… Who have been average at best… Possibly even below average… But they get in front of a very well run team and all of a sudden they look well above average or even on the cusp of elite. Swap out Ullmark with Kkkkkkkkkkkk and all the sudden he looks pretty good. Key phrase, pretty good.

Edited by Zamboni

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.