OT: The garage band thread.

Claude Balls

Seeing how there are so many music lovers, and musicians here, does anyone have videos of their work? I was burning from the Bills getting their ass kicked in, so this mellowed me out. Post em if you got em. This was my band like 10 years ago. My singer just finally figured out how to link it. We're all technically dumb. Anyways, here it goes. Dio: Man of the Silver Mountain. I'm the guitarist, that's why the camera is always on me, lol. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pDhci9stUa6hH1Mg6

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

The greatest garage band of all time came from garageland ...

I realize that this is not in keeping with your thread, but in 1976 and 1977 so many bands made it easy to be one too.  Virtually no musical training required.  

Mick Jones could play (self taught by listening to bands like The Who and coping them) .  Topper could play drums.  Joe - could bang out a cord or two, but was the poet and singer mostly.  Paul had never picked up any kind of instrument until he was 19 in 1976.

By 1980 everyone in my High School was in a garage band.  No videos, sorry.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Seeing how there are so many music lovers, and musicians here, does anyone have videos of their work? I was burning from the Bills getting their ass kicked in, so this mellowed me out. Post em if you got em. This was my band like 10 years ago. My singer just finally figured out how to link it. We're all technically dumb. Anyways, here it goes. Dio: Man of the Silver Mountain. I'm the guitarist, that's why the camera is always on me, lol. 

Cool. That is a great song. Your Ritchie Blackmore riffs are good.

My mother plays guitar and piano, offered to teach me but I was never musically inclined.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Cool. That is a great song. Your Ritchie Blackmore riffs are good.

My mother plays guitar and piano, offered to teach me but I was never musically inclined.

I actually took one guitar lesson in my life. When the guy said I'm here to teach you how to read music, not to teach you how to play your favorite song, I quit! And then learned everything by ear since that day. I've always had a good ear for music. One of my very minimal talents. 

I taught my oldest daughter how to play guitar. Now she is better than me. It's funny, they say you either have the ear or you don't. I've tried teaching some friends, but they just don't have it. At all!!! Hot dog fingers are the biggest problem. 

5 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

I actually took one guitar lesson in my life. When the guy said I'm here to teach you how to read music, not to teach you how to play your favorite song, I quit! And then learned everything by ear since that day. I've always had a good ear for music. One of my very minimal talents. 

I taught my oldest daughter how to play guitar. Now she is better than me. It's funny, they say you either have the ear or you don't. I've tried teaching some friends, but they just don't have it. At all!!! Hot dog fingers are the biggest problem. 

I took about a year of lessons, starting from learning from a book and then bringing-in tapes of songs for my teacher to listen to and teach me during a half-hour lesson (about half of it went into him learning how to play the song and the other half teaching me how to play it).  Then "Guitar for the Practicing Musician" came out with tablature and that's what I went with, as well as figuring-out songs on my own. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Wistfulness ensues. I don't know of any photos or recordings remaining of my band. Phone cameras were around, but sizable storage and clouds were not.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

So is this a “what garage band made it the most/biggest and is no longer a garage band” contest? Or what garage band is extremely influential to so many musicians but never made it “huge” worldwide?

🤔

No. It's just a "Are you/were you ever in a garage band?", post your stuff,… but NS can never restrain himself from posting a Clash video whenever an opportunity arises.

😂

Love you, NS.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

My cello teacher taught me to read music when I was 9. Did it for 2 years, and was pretty good for a little kid. Dropped it for the saxophone, hated it! Started playing guitar in 9th grade, my instructor was pretty cool, we went over reading music for a couple weeks to get me back into it, but he realized pretty quickly that I just wanted to jam to my favorite bands. He was cool with that. He said, "hey, you're paying me, I'll teach you what you want to learn."

Then I realized I could sing. Immediately dropped the guitar lol. Singing got me a wife. 😎

• Thanks (+1) 1

I started playing guitar again once I retired 2 years ago. I played it when I was young, college and into 30’s, some garage band experience.  After that, it was extremely rare that I touched it for 3 decades. 

It’s coming along.  Aided by the free YouTube lessons and cool stuff like looper pedals.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Priesttributekk said:

Been playing for 40 years now self taught been in bands since I was 16 this band recently split up amicably it was a fun 6 years looking to start a metal cover/original band next always enjoyed writing music 

This looks so fun. Good for you and the whole scene there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted before but here’s my first show with newest band

Lyric video for first “single”

Broken Oath - First band playing 17 years ago….

And again somewhere in Belgium in 00s

Best looking us up on Spotify as no good audio of us playing live exists.

I miss playing. Dying to get back playing live more regularly, even shittty dive bar shows were great. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

What? I’m serious. Because the answer could determine what Garage Band really means or what Garage Band used to mean. And how one determines when to use the term garage band.

dude…

Okay.  That's all fine.

What you said about The Clash is what I am questioning.

(insert winkie thingie here - dude !!)

Ha !!

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I didn’t say anything about the clash. I didn’t say anything about any band.

You didn't use the name of the band, but you certainly were referring to them.  They did make it out of the garage and were pretty huge worldwide by 1982.  Took the longest in America really.

That's it for my derailing of this great thread.

36 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

You didn't use the name of the band, but you certainly were referring to them.  They did make it out of the garage and were pretty huge worldwide by 1982.  Took the longest in America really.

That's it for my derailing of this great thread.

I swear to God I was not referring to any band at all when I made that original statement about garage bands. And that’s it for mighty railing of this great thread also 👍🏼

… and not that it matters because it really does not matter at all… But I think The Clash was and is amazing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.