How big is Oloffson's dog house?

sweetlou

Never understood why he was brought back after the end of last season.  DG clearly has lost faith in his game as a scorer and never has been someone that plays a two way or even tough to play against game.

KA has to bite the bullet and move him for anything he can get, especially if he is going to call up players from the AHL to play over him.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Never understood why he was brought back after the end of last season.  DG clearly has lost faith in his game as a scorer and never has been someone that plays a two way or even tough to play against game.

KA has to bite the bullet and move him for anything he can get, especially if he is going to call up players from the AHL to play over him.

I think this has been discussed thoroughly. Quinn is injured.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I guess Adams figured he was the best available option even after Quinn went down? I don’t really understand it either but seeing what we’ve seen from KA, even if he’s going to play AHL guys over him, I don’t think he moves Olofsson unless he breaks at least even in the transaction itself 

• Like (+1) 1

Besides Quinn's injury, the reason VO wasn't traded is his cap hit.  My guess is TP told KA he couldn't eat any of VO's cap if he traded him.  Without eating cap, there is no market for him.

Even if we are willing to eat 50% of his cap hit, who really wants him and has the cap space?

Chicago, SJ, CBJ, and Ana are rebuilding and have cap space, but I doubt they are interested.  The Canes have space but no need.  Seattle has a need, and maybe the cap, but their issue is more defense.   We aren't trading him in the division to Det.  That leaves Arizona as a possible team with an interest and cap.  

Needless to say, not a huge market for VO's services.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Besides Quinn's injury, the reason VO wasn't traded is his cap hit.  My guess is TP told KA he couldn't eat any of VO's cap if he traded him.  Without eating cap, there is no market for him.

Even if we are willing to eat 50% of his cap hit, who really wants him and has the cap space?

Chicago, SJ, CBJ, and Ana are rebuilding and have cap space, but I doubt they are interested.  The Canes have space but no need.  Seattle has a need, and maybe the cap, but their issue is more defense.   We aren't trading him in the division to Det.  That leaves Arizona as a possible team with an interest and cap.  

I don’t get the trade in division thing. Surely if you don’t think he’s any good that supersedes the fear you’d get from playing against him? Haha 

If you don’t want to trade him in division because you are fearful it’ll bite you in the ass you wouldn’t have a hard-line view on his ability in the first place or at least not a wholly negative one: in which case the reason is more likely that they expect he can still contribute 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

I think this has been discussed thoroughly. Quinn is injured.

If truly Adams reasoning, awful awful decision. 

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have no problem trading him in division. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, tom webster said:

TP hasn’t put any restrictions on spending. KA is a fairly smart guy and he isn’t going to spend $2M to acquire a fourth round pick. There was no market for him so it made sense to just let him be your 13/14 forward and who knows, maybe he wins you a game or two if the right situation pops up.

I suppose there’s sort of two questions: why didn’t they move him, but also: why didn’t they replace him with a better player

everything you said makes sense provided there was no one else better that could have been reasonably acquired to be that 13th man  

Edited by Thorny

46 minutes ago, tom webster said:

TP hasn’t put any restrictions on spending. KA is a fairly smart guy and he isn’t going to spend $2M to acquire a fourth round pick. There was no market for him so it made sense to just let him be your 13/14 forward and who knows, maybe he wins you a game or two if the right situation pops up.

Since when?   We are still operating under Pegula's  EEE guidance.   He was told to get under and stay under the cap, after the purge of players who didn't want to be here he started using the cap underage to sign his own players with very few free agents.  We all assume once we are a playoff team he will spend close to the cap.   Right now he is still working the plan that he announced when he took over and that plan had restrictions. 

I think you are saying KA isn't going to absorb some of his salary just to acquire a 4th round pick, which I agree would be his position - because he is under restrictions.   VO is an UFA after this season so he could eat some of that salary, but he apparently won't or can't.  

I think there are several reasons the trade didn't happen:

•  KA could not get what he wanted, then 
  •  Quinn got hurt so he decided to keep him, and 
  •  He is operating under restrictions such as retaining salary.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Like many, I’m over VO even though he scored 28 goals last year. Many of us have gone over his weaknesses multiple times, no need to rehash that.

Your statement that DG is done with him is accurate. He was scratched down the stretch and now early in the season. His only return path is a team scoring slump or lousy PP. He could slot in and pot a few goals that could keep him around for a few more games. He will still find himself in the doghouse soon after because of all the issues with his game.

I am OK with him as the 13th forward, until Quinn comes back. If VO has a good couple of games, he might pop up on someone’s radar as a trade candidate. Don’t expect much for him.

He is not complaining yet but if it gets to that point KA needs to move him out.

I don’t think he is the type of player who would thrive in the playoffs anyway.

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Since when?   We are still operating under Pegula's  EEE guidance.   He was told to get under and stay under the cap, after the purge of players who didn't want to be here he started using the cap underage to sign his own players with very few free agents.  We all assume once we are a playoff team he will spend close to the cap.   Right now he is still working the plan that he announced when he took over and that plan had restrictions. 

I think you are saying KA isn't going to absorb some of his salary just to acquire a 4th round pick, which I agree would be his position - because he is under restrictions.   VO is an UFA after this season so he could eat some of that salary, but he apparently won't or can't.  

1) EER guidance?

2) He authorized $7M in signing bonuses but wouldn’t retain $2M in order to $1.7M by buying out VO and replacing him with some prospect on a rookie contract? He needs a new accountant.

20 minutes ago, tom webster said:

1) EER guidance?

2) He authorized $7M in signing bonuses but wouldn’t retain $2M in order to $1.7M by buying out VO and replacing him with some prospect on a rookie contract? He needs a new accountant.

I thought the bold was your first point? , the $2M.  

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Don't believe the bolded is quite accurate.  The team will spend close to the cap when the bulk of the roster is off their ELCs and they've demonstrated to be players management wants to keep long term.  Expect that will coincide with playoffs as still expect they make playoffs this year and the spending on internal talent is already 4 key players deep.  But how quickly they reach a point the cap constrains them will be dependent upon how much guys like Levi, Quinn, Peterka, Kulich, Rosen, Savoie, & Benson show they can come close to where their ceilings still are.

Do believe that of your 3 bullets, the 1st 2 are the reason that Olofsson is still a Sabre.  Really believe, based upon everything that has happened across the 3 primary franchises that ownership will let the GMs spend provided spending is justified as to make the teams better.

Someone who knows more about NHL contracts can advise if this is allowed:  how about the Sabres trade Olofsson to SJ for Kevin Labanc while both retaining 50%. They are the same age, play the same position and make the same money. Both are on the outs and are UFA next year. If either gets going with a change of scenery, that’s good. Also, with their cap hits cut in half, they could be moved with further 50% retention getting their cap hits down around $1.2 million.

Would this be allowed?  

Not ideal, but both teams would be giving a vet player a shot at a change of scenery. Labanc comes from the USNDP. 

As is, I think we would need to add a pick to move Olofsson, even with retention. 

Edited by Archie Lee

8 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Someone who knows more about NHL contracts can advise if this is allowed:  how about the Sabres trade Olofsson to SJ for Kevin Labanc while both retaining 50%. They are the same age, play the same position and make the same money. Both are on the outs and are UFA next year. If either gets going with a change of scenery, that’s good. Also, with their cap hits cut in half, they could be moved with further 50% retention getting their cap hits down around $1.2 million.

Would this be allowed?  

Not ideal, but both teams would be giving a vet player a shot at a change of scenery. Labanc comes from the USNDP. 

As is, I think we would need to add a pick to move Olofsson, even with retention. 

Interesting idea to make VO more palatable.

Both players need a change of scenery for sure.

34 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Would this be allowed?  

The bold is not allowed. One team can retain 50% but a 2nd team retention would max at 25% from my understanding. 

26 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

What's the point of retaining salary by both teams for contracts that are close to the same value?

So if you want to then trade that guy away, they're already cheaper for a 3rd party. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.