Amerks Game Threads

PromoTheRobot

On 3/28/2024 at 11:09 AM, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Any and all the players that are going to be in Rochester for the playoff run, needs to be there now. Sabres are toast and do not care about winning, so let the kids enjoy real playoff hockey which they will not get with the home club. 

That list is Rousek and Levi. Rousek is injured and Levi will be back after tonight, if not already.

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Wahlberg played and looked big (and good)😃

Benson would have to be on the Amerks clear day roster I believe to be able to play in the playoffs.

Yes. That was March 8. 

49 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm thinking about seeing the Amerks Saturday in Providence and then Sunday afternoon in Bridgeport. Here are the available tickets for Sunday's game. Why does Bridgeport even have a team?

Amerks-Islanders-080724.jpg

They average over 3100. A Sunday afternoon game is probably a tough sell as the weather improves and its close proximity to NYC. The Isles probably like having them close by.

Cross posting for Amerks fans. 

Apparently Pegula’s pride in Rochester has taken a hit. 
https://www.wxxinews.org/local-news/2024-04-02/rochesters-blue-cross-arena-seeking-new-operator-after-amerks-owner-opts-out?fbclid=IwAR3fdrInAepxcWDxUM-SlsR4Muh3JbMy_2YaxSWQM87I-Q_0BTkUS9j0hwU_aem_AcCUAMH8chlyRzLeuEpALTJJGt1A6Bl3DZnlf8S10RUXURmnAvHZLLjStp0pLHtpOVs

This sucks.
My take: you can’t make money running an antiquated, million-year-old arena so here’s the keys to everything but the locker rooms. 

The arena is in desperate need of a dramatic makeover.  And while I’m not a billionaire and think differently than billionaires, this sucks. The Rochester partnership won’t effect his overall wealth. Pegula opting out means he’s counting small zeros when his legacy could have made a dramatic difference to ROC. 

Pegula pride? LOL nah.

But unlike “sell the team,” Rochester may not be able to afford that. Sigh.  

I think a big reason Terry Pegula wants out of the Rochester arena business is because of what is going on in Buffalo. The new Buffalo Bills stadium is a fortune and Terry Pegula has to cover cost overruns or if he can’t get the money he thought out of PSL’s that is one reason. Second reason is Key Bank Center needs major upgrades and renovations. Erie County, New York State won’t contribute much after coming up with $850 million dollars for the Buffalo Bills stadium. So I think those projects are his focus which have a lot more upside than the minor league hockey arena business. It will affect the Rochester Knighthawks and Rochester Americans because Terry Pegula rent will go up once he turns over the control of the Rochester arena. I think the Rochester Americans and Rochester Knighthawks will be sold at some point to Rochester committed owner or owners interest. I just see what is going on in the NHL they development of players in the home city they play in. I could see at some of Buffalo will have their own AHL team that will have the Buffalo Sabres prospects in a new renovated Key Bank Center or a new Buffalo Sabres practice facility/Buffalo AHL team playing there. It won’t happen right away but 2030’s I could see it or that doesn’t happen at all and Sabres prospects stay in Rochester but Terry Pegula completely out of the minor league business of hockey. The Rochester Knighthawks are in limbo because they are losing money and Terry Pegula already owns the profitable Buffalo Bandits.

Rochester leadership in the business community needs to do what they do in Toledo with the Toledo Mud Hens IL and Toledo Walleyes ECHL they cross market year round fun. Let the Rochester Red Wings cross promote with the Rochester Americans. I never thought it was a good idea for the Buffalo Sabres to take over the old Rochester Arena. I am from Buffalo but I think Rochester screwed up renovating the old arena instead of doing what the Hershey Bears did and just build a new arena. I would have built a new Rochester Arena over the Rochester Soccer stadium. That is where Rochester leadership screwed up. Rochester today is done as a major soccer city after the announcement of Buffalo getting a USL championship division and USL Super league franchise in 2026. The USL wants Buffalo tells me two things one Buffalo the USL leadership see Buffalo as have more potential than Rochester. Along with I think Rochester leadership burned a lot of bridges with the USL leadership with went down with the Rochester leadership/Rochester Rhinos over flexing their muscles when reality they were saying goodbye to high level soccer forever in Rochester which was dumb mistake too. Once the Rochester Rhinos shutdown it was over. I don’t think the Sacramento Kings minority owners the Dworkman’s whatever there name was were ever interested in Rochester Rhinos soccer if they didn’t get a sweetheart lease deal with the Rochester Soccer Stadium. I think the Rochester Rhinos to them was some kind of tax write off. They were never interested and they changed the iconic Rochester Rhinos name they were pretenders all hat and no cattle. So the smarter play would have been building a new Rochester Americans arena that could host year round events compared to a Soccer Stadium. Plus with modular stadium’s now it gives Rochester less leverage plus they don’t control Buffalo outdoor soccer rights anymore which is why USL can go to Buffalo in 2026. I think it will all work out for Rochester Americans but Rochester needs better leadership then they have been getting the past 20 years in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

I think a big reason Terry Pegula wants out of the Rochester arena business is because of what is going on in Buffalo. The new Buffalo Bills stadium is a fortune and Terry Pegula has to cover cost overruns or if he can’t get the money he thought out of PSL’s that is one reason. Second reason is Key Bank Center needs major upgrades and renovations. Erie County, New York State won’t contribute much after coming up with $850 million dollars for the Buffalo Bills stadium. So I think those projects are his focus which have a lot more upside than the minor league hockey arena business. It will affect the Rochester Knighthawks and Rochester Americans because Terry Pegula rent will go up once he turns over the control of the Rochester arena. I think the Rochester Americans and Rochester Knighthawks will be sold at some point to Rochester committed owner or owners interest. I just see what is going on in the NHL they development of players in the home city they play in. I could see at some of Buffalo will have their own AHL team that will have the Buffalo Sabres prospects in a new renovated Key Bank Center or a new Buffalo Sabres practice facility/Buffalo AHL team playing there. It won’t happen right away but 2030’s I could see it or that doesn’t happen at all and Sabres prospects stay in Rochester but Terry Pegula completely out of the minor league business of hockey. The Rochester Knighthawks are in limbo because they are losing money and Terry Pegula already owns the profitable Buffalo Bandits.

Rochester leadership in the business community needs to do what they do in Toledo with the Toledo Mud Hens IL and Toledo Walleyes ECHL they cross market year round fun. Let the Rochester Red Wings cross promote with the Rochester Americans. I never thought it was a good idea for the Buffalo Sabres to take over the old Rochester Arena. I am from Buffalo but I think Rochester screwed up renovating the old arena instead of doing what the Hershey Bears did and just build a new arena. I would have built a new Rochester Arena over the Rochester Soccer stadium. That is where Rochester leadership screwed up. Rochester today is done as a major soccer city after the announcement of Buffalo getting a USL championship division and USL Super league franchise in 2026. The USL wants Buffalo tells me two things one Buffalo the USL leadership see Buffalo as have more potential than Rochester. Along with I think Rochester leadership burned a lot of bridges with the USL leadership with went down with the Rochester leadership/Rochester Rhinos over flexing their muscles when reality they were saying goodbye to high level soccer forever in Rochester which was dumb mistake too. Once the Rochester Rhinos shutdown it was over. I don’t think the Sacramento Kings minority owners the Dworkman’s whatever there name was were ever interested in Rochester Rhinos soccer if they didn’t get a sweetheart lease deal with the Rochester Soccer Stadium. I think the Rochester Rhinos to them was some kind of tax write off. They were never interested and they changed the iconic Rochester Rhinos name they were pretenders all hat and no cattle. So the smarter play would have been building a new Rochester Americans arena that could host year round events compared to a Soccer Stadium. Plus with modular stadium’s now it gives Rochester less leverage plus they don’t control Buffalo outdoor soccer rights anymore which is why USL can go to Buffalo in 2026. I think it will all work out for Rochester Americans but Rochester needs better leadership then they have been getting the past 20 years in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

The mistake with the soccer stadium was 100% the location. It's in the absolute worst area of the entire city and people did not want to go there (particularly at night).

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

https://www.wxxinews.org/local-news/2024-04-02/rochesters-blue-cross-arena-seeking-new-operator-after-amerks-owner-opts-out?fbclid=IwAR3fdrInAepxcWDxUM-SlsR4Muh3JbMy_2YaxSWQM87I-Q_0BTkUS9j0hwU_aem_AcCUAMH8chlyRzLeuEpALTJJGt1A6Bl3DZnlf8S10RUXURmnAvHZLLjStp0pLHtpOVs

This sucks.
My take: you can’t make money running an antiquated, million-year-old arena so here’s the keys to everything but the locker rooms. 

The arena is in desperate need of a dramatic makeover.  And while I’m not a billionaire and think differently than billionaires, this sucks. The Rochester partnership won’t effect his overall wealth. Pegula opting out means he’s counting small zeros when his legacy could have made a dramatic difference to ROC. 

Pegula pride? LOL nah.

I’m not sure what sucks about this. What did the Pegula’s do running the arena that was noteworthy at all? Good riddance. Has no impact on the Amerks. Hopefully whoever comes in does more. 

19 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This sucks.

Pegula pride? LOL nah.

I've always wondered why Rochester never talks about building a new modern arena, other than the cost. They could really use one. 

2 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

I’m not sure what sucks about this. What did the Pegula’s do running the arena that was noteworthy at all? Good riddance. Has no impact on the Amerks. Hopefully whoever comes in does more. 

The arena isn't the story per se. At the very least it is the tip of the iceberg. 

It is that the local billionaire owner who just received $850M in public subsidy has divested in almost all of his hockey ops, failed to keep up with general maintenance with the KBC, and now pulled out of the 15 year lease he signed just a few years ago.

Now he is either trying to bend Rochester over a barrel after signing an agreement he said wouldn't change just a few months ago or he is prepping to sell his hockey teams. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Dare I say it looks like the Amerks may have turned the corner defensively these last few games? I dare not. 

And Walhberg looks like he belongs.

Yes but Levi covers up a ton of mistakes back there. Wahlberg does look solid and adds a size/skill combination their other forward prospects don’t have

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Yes but Levi covers up a ton of mistakes back there. Wahlberg does look solid and adds a size/skill combination their other forward prospects don’t have

Agree entirely, which is why I dare not say they’ve turned a corner defensively. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Dare I say it looks like the Amerks may have turned the corner defensively these last few games? I dare not. 

And Walhberg looks like he belongs.

Love what I've seen from Anton so far. Big and not afraid to take the body. And only 18. He could be special. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Love what I've seen from Anton so far. Big and not afraid to take the body. And only 18. He could be special. 

Skates very well, too.

• Agree 1

6-1 final. Amerks are 8-1-1 in their last 10. Tied with CLE for #2 seed after being 8 points behind in the standings. Just 3 back of SYR for #1 conference seed with 7 games left.  FYI I'll be at the Providence game. I got a seat right behind the Amerks bench tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

Amerks tied for 2nd in the division, 3 points behind Syracuse for first. They are 8-1-1 in their last 10. Erased an 8 point deficit in the standings to Cleveland.

Man is Wahlberg a physical beast. His neck is thicker than some guy’s whole bodies. He was impressive tonight.

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Amerks tied for 2nd in the division, 3 points behind Syracuse for first. They are 8-1-1 in their last 10. Erased an 8 point deficit in the standings to Cleveland.

Man is Wahlberg a physical beast. His neck is thicker than some guy’s whole bodies. He was impressive tonight.

Good to hear. Imagine what a couple of years of strength training and growth will do.