Ottawa's Shane Pinto suspended 41 games for sports betting

LGR4GM

So the NHL is making millions off gambling and allowing these companies to try to steal the money of their fans, but if a player gambles he's a criminal.  Holy double standard Batman. 

I am in general a free enterprise guy, but I don't think sports leagues should discuss, accept advertising from or permit players to gamble on sports if they want to promote the integrity of their sport.  However, if they allow and promote gambling (such as Marty's terrible betting lines discussion in game) then they are at least partially culpable for creating the Shane Pinto's of the world.     

None of this means that Shane Pinto shouldn't follow the rules.  He should, but let's not be naive to think he is the only NHL player, ref, or executive using the sponsor sites.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I have to remind myself that some of these guys are still at an age where they could be in college if they weren’t an athlete.  Shane is 22 and was 21 at the time of the bets. 

Like a lot of us, I was a dumb dumb at that age and had to learn from my mistakes. 

There’s no doubt he knew better, but I did some dumb stuff in college when I knew better too.  

• Like (+1) 2

So …. Correct what I have right and what I have wrong. This may help others who are confused as well.

As an NHL player you cannot bet on the sport of hockey. Any league at any level for anything, betting on the sport of hockey is off-limits.

Pinto was betting on other sports. And he cannot bet on other sports while being employed by the NHL.

Pinto was a betting on other sports except hockey, online. But the gambling site is shady and not “approved“ by the NHL and therefore he is in violation.

As someone who is completely ignorant about online gambling and how to gamble on sports… Break it down please. 

5 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Never understood why it’s wrong for players to bet. As long as they don’t bet against their own team it shouldn’t be an issue. If a league thinks it’s an addiction they should treat it the same as alcohol or drugs and provide counseling.

How many professional athletes are in your iPhone contact list?

How many professional athletes are in Travis Kelce’s contact list?

If you were trying to fix games in another sport, tell me how you would do it. How would Josh Allen do it?

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Zamboni said:

So …. Correct what I have right and what I have wrong. This may help others who are confused as well.

As an NHL player you cannot bet on the sport of hockey. Any league at any level for anything, betting on the sport of hockey is off-limits.

Pinto was betting on other sports. And he cannot bet on other sports while being employed by the NHL.

Pinto was a betting on other sports except hockey, online. But the gambling site is shady and not “approved“ by the NHL and therefore he is in violation.

As someone who is completely ignorant about online gambling and how to gamble on sports… Break it down please. 

Anybody willing to take a stab at this? 

9 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

There's roughly 3 things to bet on

1, winning team. You can do that straight up or you can buy points. Buying points is like spotting Buffalo 2 goals before the game starts. 

2, player props. Tuch will have 6 shots on goal, Dahlin will get an assist, Allen will have 250+ passing yards etc...

3, parlay. You combine various bets together. Bills win and Allen throws a td. Both events must happen. 

There's other stuff but in online gambling you're basically ordering food online, you select what you want and then put how much down you're willing to risk. Based on your choices you then get X back if you win. Often expressed as +150 or -160 etc. If I bet 100,I'd win my 100 back +150 dollars. If I bet 160, I'd win that back + 100. 

18 hours ago, Zamboni said:

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

No, because according to the CBA, only gambling on the NHL is prohibited.  There is an Exhibit in the CBA with a template for Standard Club Rules; but that is the only place where gambling is mentioned and more specifically only gambling on the NHL is mentioned.    Haven't ever seen the NHL's official policy on gambling, so any answer to your Q's would be speculation.

Clearly there are additional prohibitions, but have not seen what they are.

• Like (+1) 1

It's clear not all of the information is released, but it is very telling that the NHLPA negotiated to and agreed with the 41 game suspension.

TSN has also reported that the issue surrounds proxy betting:

The NHLPA negotiated Pinto’s penalty with the NHL, and he will not appeal.

According to multiple sources, one of the major issues leading to Pinto’s penalty was along the lines of “proxy betting,” where another individual or individuals have access to a legal account in his name. Companies like FanDuel specifically ban this practice. The state of New Jersey fined DraftKings $150,000 in March 2022 for allowing large (and illegal) proxy bets.

It’s not uncommon for pro athletes to have legal accounts, which are heavily monitored by the online site they sign up with. It’s in these companies' best interests to know if the players are in any way compromised. What could have complicated Pinto’s situation is where his account is based. He’s from New York State, and, for example, if a friend placed bets on a day the Senators were in Ottawa, it would be easily discoverable. ...

It also opens another concern: What if a friend places a bet on hockey using Pinto’s account? That would be a major, major problem and he’d need to prove it wasn’t him. There’s a lot we don’t know yet, but the league clearly was concerned with what it found. The NHLPA agreeing to and negotiating this kind of harsh suspension is a tell that no one liked what was discovered in the league’s investigation.

The league simply can't allow its players to bet on games, nor do they want the perception that they're lenient on the issue, especially if they're trying carefully navigate the massive cash grab that is sports betting advertising revenue.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

There's roughly 3 things to bet on

1, winning team. You can do that straight up or you can buy points. Buying points is like spotting Buffalo 2 goals before the game starts. 

2, player props. Tuch will have 6 shots on goal, Dahlin will get an assist, Allen will have 250+ passing yards etc...

3, parlay. You combine various bets together. Bills win and Allen throws a td. Both events must happen. 

There's other stuff but in online gambling you're basically ordering food online, you select what you want and then put how much down you're willing to risk. Based on your choices you then get X back if you win. Often expressed as +150 or -160 etc. If I bet 100,I'd win my 100 back +150 dollars. If I bet 160, I'd win that back + 100. 

Thanks. I was also wondering about the parameters of allowing an NHL player to bet, if at all. Taro explained a good portion of my questions. 

Interesting times…

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Malazan said:

So do you guys think I should bet the over on Tage Thompson for points in tonight's game? 

What’s the line at? I’m not a gambler by nature, I’d be tempted to take the over depending on line if I WAS so inclined as Tage, like most good scorers, is very streaky. And I think he’s started one 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.