GDT: 10/24/23 Buffalo Sabres @ Ottawa Senators -- MSG and Radio 6:45? PM

bob_sauve28

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

At 31, Skinner hasn't lost a step yet, but because he broke into the league when he was 18 he has very, very deep veteran experience.  His skating and scoring ability are both way up there, but he also has experience and hockey sense by the boatload.  He also is very good at getting under opponents' skins.  And that combination of attributes makes him, in many games, the best player on the ice.

It's also nice playing with arguably the 2 best playmakers on the team in Tuch and Mitts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

He honestly deserves more than that for that chicken ***** sucker punch on Tuck when he was down on the ice.

It was a cheap shot and you deal with it by having a team that's tough and you take it out on him on the ice next game. Hit him every shift every chance you get. That's how you stop it, not with the league. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

How did Joseph (Ott) avoid a penalty for jumping on the Sabre which caused the whole late-game scrum?

The Sabres need to set the tone next game between the two teams by physically pounding the Sens.  Clifton, Johnson, Cozens, Tuch, Greenway, Z and KO need to pound the Sen into submission.  

No more Chris Neil cheapshots allowed.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

What’s an honest assessment of his game tonight?  He looked fine through 2 periods but he also got good support.  He and the team struggled in the final 10 minutes.  

To my eye, I don’t see anything to convince me that he is an NHL goalie.  It’s true he may become one.  Johansson is even TB credible goaltending each night.  However at some point soon KA is going to have to make a decision.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What’s an honest assessment of his game tonight?  He looked fine through 2 periods but he also got good support.  He and the team struggled in the final 10 minutes.  

To my eye, I don’t see anything to convince me that he is an NHL goalie.  It’s true he may become one.  Johansson is even TB credible goaltending each night.  However at some point soon KA is going to have to make a decision.

Imo, the best part of his game tonight was puck control and good positioning to make saves when he was able to square up to the shooters. The big flaw in his game was also evident as well; chiefly his lateral movement in the crease. He frequently just can’t get there in time when forced to make quick lateral moves to the other side of the crease.

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Believer said:

Great interview with Anderson during intermission by the Senators broadcasters…

Thanks for the heads up. I was watching the Sabres feed so I missed it. 

I was able to go on to ESPN+ (https://www.espn.com/espnplus/player/_/id/23dbf4fc-a1d3-4361-934e-a28440b5cb56) this morning and watch it though. It starts around the 1h 7m mark

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I was able to go on to ESPN+ (https://www.espn.com/espnplus/player/_/id/23dbf4fc-a1d3-4361-934e-a28440b5cb56) this morning and watch it though. It starts around the 1h 7m mark

Liked that he made a point to say he learned how to be a better teammate the last few years of his career…

Delighted he is officially working with our goaltenders.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Outside the first terrible game, the Sabres are now 3-3 with 18 GF and 17 GA.

No breaks however.

The next 5 games

Colo (6-0-0)

NJ (3-1-1)

Philly (2) (3-1-1)

Tor (4-2) on the back half of a back to back.  

Brutal!

Great early season test… Will demand a “Playoff Mindset”… against top teams over two weeks…

Get them prepared Granato.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

Imo, the best part of his game tonight was puck control and good positioning to make saves when he was able to square up to the shooters. The big flaw in his game was also evident as well; chiefly his lateral movement in the crease. He frequently just can’t get there in time when forced to make quick lateral moves to the other side of the crease.

Lateral movement and slow reaction on rebounds.  Early on, he did well to smother the puck. Team in front of him whent into panic mode yet again late in the 3rd...so that didn't help. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It was a cheap shot and you deal with it by having a team that's tough and you take it out on him on the ice next game. Hit him every shift every chance you get. That's how you stop it, not with the league. 

The way hockey used to be back when there were never any cheap shots? 

In all my years watching hockey, there has never been a time where being physical with a player like Tkachuk, stopped said player from being a cheap shot artist. Now, if your argument is that at some point a good team needs to be able to “fight fire with fire”, I can accept that.  But players like Brady Tkachuk won’t stop being who they are because they took a few heavy body checks. Indeed, that’s the sort of thing that encourages them. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It is beyond me that anyone could watch tonight’s game and come away thinking that UPL didn’t play well. The last 5 minutes was a complete collapse of the team’s focus and commitment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Outside the first terrible game, the Sabres are now 3-3 with 18 GF and 17 GA.

No breaks however.

The next 5 games

Colo (6-0-0)

NJ (3-1-1)

Philly (2) (3-1-1)

Tor (4-2) on the back half of a back to back.  

Brutal!

The Sabres are 3-4.

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How did Joseph (Ott) avoid a penalty for jumping on the Sabre which caused the whole late-game scrum?

The Sabres need to set the tone next game between the two teams by physically pounding the Sens.  Clifton, Johnson, Cozens, Tuch, Greenway, Z and KO need to pound the Sen into submission.  

No more Chris Neil cheapshots allowed.

Hockey officiating 101. They got it right by keeping it even after the Tuch/Tkachuk fight, then when the teams wouldn’t stop, they only took one and the Sabres had the lead. Also, it was Okposo who threw the first punch.

45 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

It is beyond me that anyone could watch tonight’s game and come away thinking that UPL didn’t play well. The last 5 minutes was a complete collapse of the team’s focus and commitment. 

Everyone fell apart there at the end - including UPL. It would have been nice if he could have come up big on one of those 3 goals that came in rapid succession. The limitations of his game are accurately noted upthread.

In my hamster-brain, I can't help but feel comforted by the fact that he's a big fella in there. "The puck's bound to hit him," my idiot inner voice tells me.

Then I watch him try to move laterally and my sphincter puckers.

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

Lateral movement and slow reaction on rebounds.  Early on, he did well to smother the puck. Team in front of him whent into panic mode yet again late in the 3rd...so that didn't help. 

In comparison to last season, I was pleased with UPL’s rebound control and covering up in the 1st couple periods. Still slow, but a big controlled slow.

55 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

In all my years watching hockey, there has never been a time where being physical with a player like Tkachuk, stopped said player from being a cheap shot artist. Now, if your argument is that at some point a good team needs to be able to “fight fire with fire”, I can accept that.  But players like Brady Tkachuk won’t stop being who they are because they took a few heavy body checks. Indeed, that’s the sort of thing that encourages them. 

The ol’ Bure Elbow would stop him. You’d have to be willing to take a suspension, but it would stop him at least as long as concussion protocols lasted. 

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

In fact I’d argue that is exactly what they want.  A player like that wants you to jump over to boards thinking “I’m gonna get that guy” instead of focusing playing good hockey.

@PerreaultForever

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

In fact I’d argue that is exactly what they want.  A player like that wants you to jump over to boards thinking “I’m gonna get that guy” instead of focusing playing good hockey.

@PerreaultForever

And an overly emotional response from Tkachuk last night got him removed from the game. You can get inside his head. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.