OT: Best Mexican Food in Buffalo

LGR4GM

Taqueria Los Mayas - corner of Union and Genesee. The tacos are very much legit. It seems like there's a grandma back there in the kitchen. The place is mobbed every time we go. We generally opt for takeaway. 

Casa Azul. They're in Allentown. This is a little more on the hipster side of things. The proprietor (Zina Lapi) is  a poster child for a reinvigorated Buffalo.  

Las Puertas on Rhode Island in Buffalo. This is upscale Mexican (white linen on the tables). I haven't been there in a while, but it's blown my mind when I have gone. It's authentic ethnic cuisine, but it's not street food nor is it like a grandma's cooking in her kitchen. Think more like an upscale French bistro. Pretty incredible.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

First, there are no wrong answers because everyone has their own preferences and tastes. 

I’ve had Mexican food in many parts of the country. Including the southwest. It’s my favorite cuisine. I’ve eaten at many many local joints …

Taqueria Los Mayas is a very authentic southwest Mexican food experience.

4 minutes ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

I could eat tacos from La Divina on Delaware 5 days a week.

I haven’t tried them yet, but have heard good things and it’s on my list to go! 👍🏼

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Last time we were in Buffalo we met some friends for lunch at Aguacates on Elmwood.  It was pretty authentic stuff, based on what I get here in Texas.

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Taqueria Los Mayas - corner of Union and Genesee. The tacos are very much legit. It seems like there's a grandma back there in the kitchen.

As I said the GDT, I grew up around the corner from there, although back then this location was a bar.  My first job was down the street at Roma's which is now 33 Speeakeasy.  I'd kind of like to try Los Mayas at some point, just cuz it's in the old hood.

• Like (+1) 1

Also, it bears mentioning, that a short drive down 90 to Batavia/Genesee County and/or a pop up north a bit into Orleans County will yield several fantastic taquerias. I don't even know the names off the top of my head. I've been to at least 3. One in Batavia for sure. Another in Albion, maybe? Anyway, the agricultural character of those areas (and its reliance on migrant workers) has given rise to excellent, authentic Mexican/Central American food options.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Also, it bears mentioning, that a short drive down 90 to Batavia/Genesee County and/or a pop up north a bit into Orleans County will yield several fantastic taquerias. I don't even know the names off the top of my head. I've been to at least 3. One in Batavia for sure. Another in Albion, maybe? Anyway, the agricultural character of those areas (and its reliance on migrant workers) has given rise to excellent, authentic Mexican/Central American food options.

Medina has an amazing Mexican restaurant.  Forget its name though.  Worth the drive.  Albion has one as well, but I haven’t made an excuse to eat there yet.

Batavia has 3.  One right off the thruway, Los Compadres is great street food style mexican, and 2 sit down restaurants that are also high quality.  All 3 are run by Mexican families.  Batavia has Puerto Rican place now too.

Leroy has a pretty damned good Mexican restaurant as well.

Genesee and Orleans counties really do benefit from the season immigrant work force, Between the restaurants and Spanish markets.

• Like (+1) 3

El Cubilete out by the Niagara Falls airport reminds me of every good Mexican place I've been to in Austin, Tx.

Will second La Divina. Haven't been there in a bit but I remember when we first discovered them they gave me hope in this area's Mexican cuisine. Still haven't found a comparable BBQ joint.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Weave said:

Medina has an amazing Mexican restaurant.  Forget its name though.  Worth the drive.  Albion has one as well, but I haven’t made an excuse to eat there yet.

Batavia has 3.  One right off the thruway, Los Compadres is great street food style mexican, and 2 sit down restaurants that are also high quality.  All 3 are run by Mexican families.  Batavia has Puerto Rican place now too.

Leroy has a pretty damned good Mexican restaurant as well.

Genesee and Orleans counties really do benefit from the season immigrant work force, Between the restaurants and Spanish markets.

Interesting to see so many *real* Mexican places in WNY.  Where I live in Fort Worth, I'm on the edge of a true barrio and there is a good variety of Tex/Mex and true Mexican, where they may or may not speak English and the prices are super cheap.  There's actually a mall out here that has been converted over to a Mexican mercado- La Gran Plaza- only 3 miles from my house, which is the heart of the south Ft Worth barrio.  There's another barrio area north of downtown near the old Stockyards.

The northeast corner of my neighborhood:

image.png

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, ... said:

El Cubilete out by the Niagara Falls airport reminds me of every good Mexican place I've been to in Austin, Tx.

Will second La Divina. Haven't been there in a bit but I remember when we first discovered them they gave me hope in this area's Mexican cuisine. Still haven't found a comparable BBQ joint.

Right down the street from El Cubilete is La Galera (near the outlet mall in Niagara Falls). Been to both a few times. Like both a lot.  

When we visit Florida, our relatives often take us to 2 Mexican restaurants down there that are similar, but the 2 above in Niagara Falls are so much better than what we are subject to down there.

41 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Interesting to see so many *real* Mexican places in WNY.  Where I live in Fort Worth, I'm on the edge of a true barrio and there is a good variety of Tex/Mex and true Mexican, where they may or may not speak English and the prices are super cheap.  There's actually a mall out here that has been converted over to a Mexican mercado- La Gran Plaza- only 3 miles from my house, which is the heart of the south Ft Worth barrio.  There's another barrio area north of downtown near the old Stockyards.

The northeast corner of my neighborhood:

image.png

Shopping anywhere in Genesee and Orleans counties on a Sunday will give you a good indication of the size of the migrant population.  Every store and plaza has a bus parked in the lot  that has delivered workers that are doing their shopping.  Very prevalent.  The restaurants and markets were inevitable.  And highly appreciated.

My son worked a nearby farm in his teens.  We got to know a number of families that transitioned from migrant work to operating their own small businesses locally.

What we generally don’t have are the fancy “cuisine” type restaurants that the bigger metro areas have.  These are all family owned and operated.  Not a “chef” among them I would guess, but damned good cooks.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Not Mexican but the Niagara Cafe on the west side on Niagara street has some of the most authentic Puerto Rican fare you'll find. 

3 hours ago, Kr632 said:

La flor bakery across the street is amazing as well. 

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Taqueria Los Mayas - corner of Union and Genesee. The tacos are very much legit. It seems like there's a grandma back there in the kitchen. The place is mobbed every time we go. We generally opt for takeaway. 

Casa Azul. They're in Allentown. This is a little more on the hipster side of things. The proprietor (Zina Lapi) is  a poster child for a reinvigorated Buffalo.  

Las Puertas on Rhode Island in Buffalo. This is upscale Mexican (white linen on the tables). I haven't been there in a while, but it's blown my mind when I have gone. It's authentic ethnic cuisine, but it's not street food nor is it like a grandma's cooking in her kitchen. Think more like an upscale French bistro. Pretty incredible.

2 hours ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

I could eat tacos from La Divina on Delaware 5 days a week.

I saw this place in Kenmore but we were out for Pizza that night.  

59 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The guy who runs Maizal is from Oaxaca and he often puts regional Oaxaca dishes on his menu or as specials. 

Great info for my next visit!

I love seeing the West Side being mentioned several times here.   My old stomping grounds.   Several parts of the West Side are thriving again.  Those old homes and neighborhoods still have such potential too.  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

I like to hit this place before games coming in from ROC, park up there away from traffic and walk down.

https://hombreylobo.com/

It's a modern vibe, good cocktails.  My bro and his wife are food snobs and they gave it a high marks.

Go To for me - marg for sure, and whatever tacos are sounding good.

That looks really good

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

No Mighty Taco mentions?

Dude Spying GIF by Originals

Back in the 70's, when there was ONE Mighty Taco - and it was on Hertel, down the street from Gables, they were the best Taco's in town. 

And the only Taco's in town.  

A few local hippies started a business and it worked.  

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Back in the 70's, when there was ONE Mighty Taco - and it was on Hertel, down the street from Gables, they were the best Taco's in town. 

And the only Taco's in town.  

A few local hippies started a business and it worked.  

Oh, I know.  Not really Mexican at all.

28 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Oh, I know.  Not really Mexican at all.

I recall hearing that the owners went to Southern Cal and discovered the wonders of taco's, then brought them back.  Don't know if that was true.  I also remember Taco Bell coming to Buffalo and failing on the first try.   

The original Mighty Taco on Hertel were made with much better ground beef and better cheese than today's sorry version. They were bigger too.  Does anyone lese here remember the high counter that you ordered the tacos from?  The workers were looking down on the crowd, most of them had funny (if not sarcastic) wise cracks for their drunken clientele.  

Agree - not really Mexican at all, but a Buffalo thing nonetheless.  

WPHD FM (103.3) was always on the radio there - in their early days that radio station played album format rock.   The DJ's typically played one full side of a 33 rpm LP record album at a time (about 20 minutes per side on average), if not the entire album.   They only talked when they were flipping the record over or changing it.  Hardly any commercials either.  

Good days. Sometimes less is more.   

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.