Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

On 2/27/2024 at 11:39 AM, That Aud Smell said:

Right? So <redacted>.

Despite the motivations behind posting this specific phrase in conjunction to the discussion, don't you think that demonstrating your willingness to do so undermines your point on not using the phrase you were arguing against?

Perhaps I read things wrong?

Edited by LTS
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Heavens to Mergatroyd. I didn't intend anything by the images above other than to demonstrate that my aversion to the phrase "getting your bell rung" wasn't a "personal problem," as had been stated.  

Wasn't my intention to call you out specifically; I apologize if that's what it looked like. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Despite the motivations behind posting this specific phrase in conjunction to the discussion, don't you think that demonstrating your willingness to do so undermines your point on not using the phrase you were arguing against?

Perhaps I read things wrong?

This is fair. More than fair.

As I think you inferred, I was attempting to deploy irony there in order to make a point. But irony isn't a license to drop a slur. I'm going to edit my post. If those who quoted that post could do likewise (@LTS, @Weave) , that'd be great.

23 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

As I think you inferred, I was attempting to deploy irony there in order to make a point. But irony isn't a license to drop a slur. I'm going to edit my post. If those who quoted that post could do likewise (@LTS, @Weave) , that'd be great.

Dammit.  I thought the irony was well played.  I’ll edit in the spirit of all the non-PC, PC in here.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

I thought the irony was well played.  I’ll edit in the spirit of all the non-PC, PC in here.

This is also fair. And I appreciate it.

But my better angels - or at least what I think I'm hearing when I listen to whomst I think they are - counseled me to remove the pejorative term. Thanks for doing the same.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Again, my calling it getting his bell rung doesn't have anything to do with a player's access to the proper care.  I think @thewookie1 covered it pretty well.

Difference between right and easy. You aren’t literally preventing anything by using the term but you are surrendering yourself to the idea that your verbiage is merely a symptom of the greater lack of awareness in society at large

Edited by Thorny
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

It was cool the first night; now its just concerning.

Agreed 100% -- I definitely played along with those initial highlights (was it the stadium game?). But someone - was it a guy named Olivier (?) - just effing fed him the other night. No bueno. I feel like he needs to be protected from himself.

Also: I acknowledge how times have changed. I think about the gladiator vibes that I rabidly supported for a guy like Rob Ray -- who, yes, was a very tough guy, but he was not, in fact, a true heavyweight (the tie-down trick was ingenious but also necessary to give him a better chance against some of the monsters he fought)). I just don't get down like that anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

I still enjoy a good fair hockey fight but acknowledge that in the long run its probably better for the game if the fighting goes away. Not wanting to get into a debate here but I’m not sure if the officiating can properly control and punish the cheapshots that invariably may follow.

Edited by bunomatic

2 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I still enjoy a good fair hockey fight but acknowledge that in the long run its probably better for the game if the fighting goes away. Not wanting to get into a debate here but I’m not sure if the officiating can properly control and punish the cheapshots that invariably may follow.

Cheap shots are controlled now? 

3 hours ago, bunomatic said:

I am old enough to remember when the NHL first went over to play European teams and how they commented on the use of sticks and even kicks and a variety of cheap shots. But no fighting. Wayne Cashman almost had his tongue cut out. I think it'll be problematic. Maybe just expand and refine the instigator rule to limit it but I personally see no need to change a thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, inkman said:

Cheap shots are controlled now? 

Thats what I’m saying. The officiating is terrible and I believe the cheap shot players will ramp it up in the absense of someone to keep them honest. You see it now where even on clean hits and cheap ones someone will step in and fight or try to fight that guy ( maybe not on this team ) whereas the officials will often let it go. Anyways thats how I see it.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Edited as requested. 

22 hours ago, Weave said:

Dammit.  I thought the irony was well played.  I’ll edit in the spirit of all the non-PC, PC in here.

I understand the sentiment. For me, one term dismisses a condition whereas the other term dismisses a person with a condition.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Watching teams like the Rangers and Oilers play tonight. All I can say is, wow, the Sabres are small, weak, soft, slow and uninspiring compared to these other teams. Boys compared to men

Edited by OverPowerYou
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Except we are not small overall, we just play small. 

agree..we are actually a rather BIG team. See other guys on other teams who are not huge but playing with grit and determination, something not seen in these nect of the woods much lately...

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/27/2024 at 11:33 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I am old enough to remember when the NHL first went over to play European teams and how they commented on the use of sticks and even kicks and a variety of cheap shots. But no fighting. Wayne Cashman almost had his tongue cut out. I think it'll be problematic. Maybe just expand and refine the instigator rule to limit it but I personally see no need to change a thing. 

There is a lot of data that exists from the more than half century that has passed since Wayne Cashman nearly lost his tongue.