Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

On 2/6/2024 at 6:49 PM, Norcal said:

I know it's been said that the league believes that the US can support more teams I just can't see where the revenue is going to come from to do it. 

Never mind, apparently 42% of the global value of the NHL comes from outside the US. 

Danni Moore, wrote this for Ampere Sports:

"The National Hockey League (NHL) has the smallest following among the four major sports leagues in the US and is followed by 17 per cent of US sports fans, according to Ampere’s Q4 2022 Sports Consumer survey."

Hockey ranks eighth in the list of most popular sporting competitions, college football and basketball regular seasons, college football playoffs and  March Madness all rank above it.

In terms of media rights, the NHL will bring in $625 million for the 2023/24 campaign.

That is equal to 33% of  MLB, 23% of what the NBA receives, and only 5% of the value of what the NFL gets.

As long as there are groups willing to pay north of one billion dollars in expansion fees, there will be revenue. 
Seattle and Vegas have been a boon for HRR with sellouts, increasing sponsorship and merchandise since they came into league.

Sports Franchises are increasing exponentially in value, The Senators sold for 950 million, with the possible exception of the Coyotes, other franchises will sell for more. Per Tim Graham, there are brokers who represent people who are hungry to buy franchises, there is demand. 
The NHL depends on attendance more than any other league, it will never be in the same tier as the other leagues in terms of television deals. 
The leagues total TV revenue per season is actually closer to  one billion when the 433 million from the Sportsnet Deal is added onto the 625 million from ESPN/TNT.  Putting teams in Houston and Atlanta would mean the NHL is in the Top 15 Areas in terms of the population in the US. Getting this done has the potential to dramatically increase the value of the next US TV Deal, especially in light of the new streaming package which will allow ESPN and TNT to be purchased together.  The money will be there for expansion. 

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Well at very least we don’t have that hanging over our heads

Friedman mentioned in 32 Thoughts that Phoenix Suns Owner Mat Ishbia maybe a possibility to buy the Coyotes and keep them in Phoenix. 
The Footprint Center where the Suns play and the Coyotes first started would be the home arena. It does require 20 million in upgrades to its ice maintenance facilities however. Ishbia has said in the past the Coyotes would not be a co tenant unless he owned them. 

7 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Not surprised by this. He was a lightweight kid and was getting targeted. Like a lot of the kids today he was trying to make fancy plays along the wall and didn't expect the checks to come when they did. I have thought this might happen to Benson too, but so far he's managed to keep his head up and play more straight ahead so he's avoided it (and maybe been targeted less) and might continue to as he grows. 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know what some of you think about fighting, but I am 100% confidant that this team wouldn't be where it is if JBot had not dealt this man away.

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n268881

Krueger would've benched him for playing too tenaciously and getting caught behind the play, he'd have lost his love for the game as they re-tanked for Power, and then demanded a trade, which GM Adams would've gotten done for a 4th, lamenting "We only want guys who want to be here?" 😇

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

NBA trade deadline is today; NHL is March 8th.

Yeah. I see that now lol

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

NARRATIVE!

or AGENDA!

Or something.

No just high 

Or Baked rather

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Krueger would've benched him for playing too tenaciously and getting caught behind the play, he'd have lost his love for the game as they re-tanked for Power, and then demanded a trade, which GM Adams would've gotten done for a 4th, lamenting "We only want guys who want to be here?" 😇

Ya, maybe, we do have a history of f'n things up but I think Marcus would be captain right now and he'd have dragged some of these guys up with him and a lot of them would play bigger than they do. Cozens might not have had his jaw broken by Hathaway for example. Marcus would have jumped in and wiped the floor with Garnet instead. It's a dream of an alternate reality I have. 

Heck, I'd have tried to bring in Nick on a "play with your brother" discount contract as well and hired Mike as an assistant or scout. Give me a triple dose of Foligno and this locker room would have been fixed. Sadly, that moment is long gone. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know what some of you think about fighting, but I am 100% confidant that this team wouldn't be where it is if JBot had not dealt this man away.

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n268881

I heard Bruce Boudreau on the radio this morning talking about Foligno.  He coached Foligno in Minnesota.  He spoke about how Foligno has developed into a complete player who can be fully trusted in all situations and implied that he had not been good defensively early in his career.  He thought the recent contract Foligno signed, even at Foligno's age, was something many team's would gladly take.

Patience with young players is important.    

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1