Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Billznut said:

I believe the Kings have lost 11 of their past 14, something like that. But had just won their last game the other night. Sitting in a playoff spot at the moment but still make the move. It’s always amazing how other franchises are at a completely different level of expectation than Buffalo. Losing isn’t accepted in alot of places. It’s so common, plentiful and accepted by the Sabres. 

Not defending Pegula, Adams or Granato with this post, but in the 8 year period from Feb 2013 to March 2021 the Sabres fired 3 general managers and 6 head coaches, averaging more than 1 major firing per season.  

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Never said the Sabres were better, only under different circumstances.

Okay fair enough, but Vancouver was supposed to be just like us and worse this year right? A few young promising stars. A few old stiffs. They found a way to change their circumstances didn't they?  

We are in the circumstances the franchise creates. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Okay fair enough, but Vancouver was supposed to be just like us and worse this year right? A few young promising stars. A few old stiffs. They found a way to change their circumstances didn't they?  

We are in the circumstances the franchise creates. 

Vancouver was a strange case; they'd been good 2 years back, terrible last year and then great this year.

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Vancouver was a strange case; they'd been good 2 years back, terrible last year and then great this year.

You're making excuses. Boston was a "freak". Vancouver is a "strange case". It's just not true. What they are doing is making good moves and being successful.

Sabres are not. It's just that simple. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So with the Kings hiring Hiller on an interim basis, https://www.nhl.com/news/todd-mclellan-fired-by-los-angeles

That likely means one less good coaching candidate available for next season. 

Get ready for another year of Granato. 

McLellan is good enough for the next level since he usually gets his teams to the playoffs, should they choose. 

They'll just need an upgrade in 2-3.5 years if they want to compete for the cup. 

10 minutes ago, Norcal said:

McLellan is good enough for the next level since he usually gets his teams to the playoffs, should they choose. 

They'll just need an upgrade in 2-3.5 years if they want to compete for the cup. 

He's got a free time year earning $5 million so he's not coming to Buffalo next season unless we gave him $ and term. Pegula will not do that, no way. 

38 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're making excuses. Boston was a "freak". Vancouver is a "strange case". It's just not true. What they are doing is making good moves and being successful.

Sabres are not. It's just that simple. 

They aren't excuses, I'm not saying we've done a marvelous job only that those two are unusual cases in which doesn't flow naturally between good and bad and back again. 

The Bruins are like zombies and their fans deserve utter misery yet their team continues to hum along even while their top players retire and leave the roster. Both skill and luck go into this.

The Canucks are far more normal than I first thought upon looking at their standings over the years.

22-23 83 pts Miss Coach fired over difference of opinion

21-22 92 pts Miss Coach fired after slow start

20-21 50 pts in 56 games Miss

19-20 78 pts in 69 games (Made it to 2nd round after winning Qualifying Round)

18-19 81 pts  Miss

17-18 73 pts Miss (Sedin's retired at season's end)

16-17 69 pts Miss

15-16 75 pts Miss

14-15 101 pts (Lost in 1st Round)

Based on this, we should be aggressive this deadline and offseason in order to jump start everything with a new coach next season.

40 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He's got a free time year earning $5 million so he's not coming to Buffalo next season unless we gave him $ and term. Pegula will not do that, no way. 

I know. It was mostly tongue in cheek but I do believe what I said about him as a coach. 

He gets results, to a point.

Right now this team needs what he could provide. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I always hated Nikita Kucherov.

After watching him tonight in the skills competition, I don't anymore. He's ***** awesome.

I wish he was a Sabre.

I had the entirely opposite reaction to the BS he pulled. The whole All Star game idea has been bastardized to the point of being a joke but if you’re there at least put effort in for the many kids in attendance. Hell even Makar and McDavid looked pretty perturbed by his display. 

It’s honestly fascinating though how Russian players have a tendency for hating these events. At very least Ovi always looked to make it fun for himself and his fellow players. He made the best of it. 

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

They aren't excuses, I'm not saying we've done a marvelous job only that those two are unusual cases in which doesn't flow naturally between good and bad and back again. 

The Bruins are like zombies and their fans deserve utter misery yet their team continues to hum along even while their top players retire and leave the roster. Both skill and luck go into this.

The Canucks are far more normal than I first thought upon looking at their standings over the years.

22-23 83 pts Miss Coach fired over difference of opinion

21-22 92 pts Miss Coach fired after slow start

20-21 50 pts in 56 games Miss

19-20 78 pts in 69 games (Made it to 2nd round after winning Qualifying Round)

18-19 81 pts  Miss

17-18 73 pts Miss (Sedin's retired at season's end)

16-17 69 pts Miss

15-16 75 pts Miss

14-15 101 pts (Lost in 1st Round)

Based on this, we should be aggressive this deadline and offseason in order to jump start everything with a new coach next season.

Your bottom sentence is exactly my point. This process/development thing is BS. We should have already been aggressive. They're blowing it and if they blow it for too long we will just end up with another wave of exits like Reinhart/Eichel and yet another round of "development". 

If the Canucks had chosen to do it our way they'd be right down with us. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I don't get the all-star game is for kids but yet you have some players on mushrooms and wasted also the Celebrity host on mushrooms .

What are you talking about?

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I had the entirely opposite reaction to the BS he pulled. The whole All Star game idea has been bastardized to the point of being a joke but if you’re there at least put effort in for the many kids in attendance. Hell even Makar and McDavid looked pretty perturbed by his display. 

It’s honestly fascinating though how Russian players have a tendency for hating these events. At very least Ovi always looked to make it fun for himself and his fellow players. He made the best of it. 

There is no way that is true.

30 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Players drunk and people taking Mushrooms what's there to understand..

I had to turn it off Because my grandkids kept on asking questions.

“Grandpa, why are you accusing people in another city of eating mushrooms?”

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1