Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Nobody is talking about this?

So let's consider:

Trouba is talented RD, and C of Rangers.....and $5k is MAX fine. No suspension? Give me a break.

Lack of stick discipline like this required a suspension. Not even 50% the same but:

> Marty McSorley high sticked / attacked Donald Brashear back in 2000 game. 

McSorley was originally suspended for the remainder of the season as well as the playoffs for the 1999-00 season (totaling 23 games). His suspension would be lengthened to an entire year following a British Columbia court finding McSorley guilty of assault with a weapon on October 6, 2000.

McSorely would never play another game in the NHL.

More recently: 

> Pinto 41 game suspension for gambling (only vague details of inappropriate actions that should be common sense ) on NHL. I am OK with suspension, but what about being similarly concerned with player safety?

> NHL threatens to fine M-A Fleury for wearing an indigenous inspired mask to honor his wife who is same, then when he says he is going to wear it and pay fine, threaten Wild with "significant fines". Fleury did not play but wore mask in pregame, said he would pay fines for Wild. TBD. Why does NHL care so much to shut down celebrations of minority groups? This, Pride nights & tape color, even noted on last night's NJ GDT, NJ had their "I'm fighting for" signs fill in the blank pre-printed. Stupid.

>Trouba is top RD, and Rangers C, so he gets off easy.

Messages are being sent with suspensions, fines, and lack there of. Not sure they are the right ones.

Edited by Spoonman

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

That Train has moved on .

He's likely going to sign in his hometown  

Why would he leave Florida? He's doing well there and no tax. He's not going anywhere. 

40 minutes ago, Curt said:

That should be a suspension somewhere between 10 and 40 games.

Didn't even get a penalty and then the Bruins got a high stick call minutes later for next to nothing. Refs love the Rags. League loves the Rags. It's not surprising at all. 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why would he leave Florida? He's doing well there and no tax. He's not going anywhere. 

Didn't even get a penalty and then the Bruins got a high stick call minutes later for next to nothing. Refs love the Rags. League loves the Rags. It's not surprising at all. 

This myth has been debunked.

The NHL is based in NYC and they love that the Rangers are relevant.  That guy gets away with a lot.  Always has, even when he was not playing his home games at Madison Square.

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

This myth has been debunked.

The NHL is based in NYC and they love that the Rangers are relevant.  That guy gets away with a lot.  Always has, even when he was not playing his home games at Madison Square.

I'm confused. You say it's a debunked myth and then you say he gets away with a lot which argues against the debunking. 

I just know what I saw and the Rags were favoured in that game. I'm not blaming them for the loss, Rags were better than the Bruins by far, but the refs called it pretty one sided all the same and that Trouba play wasn't even a minor. 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm confused. You say it's a debunked myth and then you say he gets away with a lot which argues against the debunking. 

I just know what I saw and the Rags were favoured in that game. I'm not blaming them for the loss, Rags were better than the Bruins by far, but the refs called it pretty one sided all the same and that Trouba play wasn't even a minor. 

The no tax in Florida myth has been debunked.

8 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

I'd take Sam back in a heartbeat (I never wanted to let him go)...OH and I would have never traded Marsuc and he could clean that guy from Winnipeg...

Remember when McCabe plastered Laine 

5 hours ago, inkman said:

Nobody is talking about this?

He’s a piece of sh*t

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Right, which makes it weird that some fans are clamoring for such a thing.  Like why dream about something that will never ever ever happen and I’m 95% sure wouldn’t be a good thing if it somehow did.  

So I should stop fantasizing about the playoffs? 

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The no tax in Florida myth has been debunked.

44 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh okay, but how so? My understanding is players are making more take home money there than in a lot of other states and definitely more than in Canada (which is where people were suggesting he'd end up after this year). 

Not sure what was meant by debunked.

My understanding is that it’s not as significant a difference as a normal person, because road games are taxed at the rate of the area they are played in.  It’s still a relatively large amount of savings if you play for a team in a no tax state.  For someone like Reinhart, he will be saving something in the range of 250k-500k per year by playing in Florida versus Canada.  This a very rough explanation as I’ve forgotten the details and am not willing to look them up right now.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Curt said:

Not sure what was meant by debunked.

My understanding is that it’s not as significant a difference as a normal person, because road games are taxed at the rate of the area they are played in.  It’s still a relatively large amount of savings if you play for a team in a no tax state.  For someone like Reinhart, he will be saving something in the range of 250k-500k per year by playing in Florida versus Canada.  This a very rough explanation as I’ve forgotten the details and am not willing to look them up right now.

Well, yeah, you are right that players pay tax in the state they earned their income.  But expect that what NS was getting at was that just because FL has low state taxes that other taxes (auto and the like) and especially insurance costs make things closer to even between FL and other states players might live in.