How concerned is Sabrespace about the defense and goaltending?

GASabresIUFAN

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This discussion raises a question.  It's a question I used to ask about Jbot and about KA last season.  Just how proactive with KA be if the team, especially the defense and goaltending, gets off to a rocky start?  

Who knows. If I had a guess: not likely, because the fact of the matter is, that move would require a GM who’s reasonably patient and deliberate at the most frantic of times to make a move at a time when the market is calm 

• Like (+1) 1

Count me in as concerned.  The Sabres just give up way too many Grade A chances and they don't seem to put pressure on the opponents much on the penalty kill.  If Buffalo is to make the playoffs, Levi is going to have to be everything we hope for...and the D simply has to play smart.  The Sabres need to get more games to Overtime and get a losers point if nothing else.  They have too many regulation losses and several are late losses.  Not getting to OT costs them dearly in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m a little concerned by how bad Clifton looked in his 2 preseason games. He’s clearly a better player than that, but he also is being asked to play in a much different system and we can’t afford his adjustment to take weeks. There’s a reason he’s starting the season on the 3rd pair with our most stable vet.

I’m also a little concerned about Owen Power, mostly because Donnie hinted that he’s a little concerned that Owen is putting too much pressure on himself. He’s an extremely analytical kid, whose head is stuffed full of thoughts about leading this team to the playoffs and signing a big-money, long-term deal. I saw what happened when Dahlin spent too much time thinking and not enough playing.

Edited by dudacek

Got a bit of an insight into the coach’s mind yesterday on WGR when he said how important it is to be able to kill plays quickly on defence, but basically implied that killing plays is kinda useless if the defender isn’t able to transition after the kill.

Kinda explains why Lyubushkin became the odd man out, why they targeted Clifton and what he sees in Bryson and Jokiharju. The latter 2 can be quite good at stepping up to blunt the rush and flipping the play up ice. Apparently that outweighs their struggles when that doesn’t work and they get pinned, overpowered and chasing in their own zone.

Our coach is not a big fan of the old-fashioned stay-at-homer.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Got a bit of an insight into the coach’s mind yesterday on WGR when he said how important it is to be able to kill plays quickly on defence, but basically implied that killing plays is kinda useless if the defender isn’t able to transition after the kill.

Kinda explains why Lyubushkin became the odd man out, why they targeted Clifton and what he sees in Bryson and Jokiharju. The latter 2 can be quite good at stepping up to blunt the rush and flipping the play up ice. Apparently that outweighs their struggles when that doesn’t work and they get pinned, overpowered and chasing in their own zone.

Interesting point.. it fits with Granato.  He wants an up tempo high pressure team that makes other teams react and want to prevent the Sabres offense through a defensive scheme.

However, once a team establishes the zone on the Sabres all hell breaks loose.  So he needs to coach that.  In football, this would similar to not building up your defense because your offense is to potent only to run into troubles when your opponent's offense keeps your offense off the field.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

27 minutes ago, LTS said:

Interesting point.. it fits with Granato.  He wants an up tempo high pressure team that makes other teams react and want to prevent the Sabres offense through a defensive scheme.

However, once a team establishes the zone on the Sabres all hell breaks loose.  So he needs to coach that.  In football, this would similar to not building up your defense because your offense is to potent only to run into troubles when your opponent's offense keeps your offense off the field.

That's fine that he wants to cut off rushes before they happen.  But, like @LTS says, they aren't going to be able to always do that and they need to be able to keep from looking like Ristolainen and Eichel feeding off each other when the puck does end up in their end.

If Granato is not willing/able to coach them for that aspect and/or is unwilling to bring in assistants that can/will do that; his tenure will be shorter than we might be expecting.  He doesn't need to become Trotz or Tortorella, but he can't become Jack Pardee coaching the Eulers in the early '90's who didn't keep a tight end on the roster because the Run and Shoot didn't use a TE even though they became very ineffective in the Red Zone because the tiny fast WRs couldn't run away from the coverage because there was nowhere to run away to.  That stubborness eventually cost him his job.

• Like (+1) 1

I am not concerned with the goaltending. I more concerned when the Buffalo Sabres start running around in their own defensive zone and can’t get the puck out of it’s own end. The Buffalo Sabres problem isn’t a talent problem it’s a head problem. These grown men professional athletes Buffalo Sabres fans should ask themselves how come all the other NHL teams get it and the Buffalo Sabres players are still not getting it. 3-4 record in preseason is very concerning. Five hundred hockey isn’t getting the Sabres to the playoffs. The Buffalo Sabres need to get past there obvious mental block with showing up every game and competing for 60 minutes. The Vegas Golden Knights just flip a switch and play hard every night the Buffalo Sabres don’t do that. Buffalo Sabres fans will know everything they need to know tomorrow night if the Buffalo Sabres can’t beat the New York Rangers at home I doubt very much this Sabres team gets it. You need to show up and be counted for your home opener and your home games if you want to make the playoffs in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

16 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Lance from the News is not concerned. He called the Sabres' defense corps "formidable." (He also called the Sabres a "legitimate contender.") Angling for a job at the Sabres? Double wow.

It's striking how unanimously the local media is drinking the koolaid.

The goaltending and the defence aren't proven fixed until they are. The offence is not guaranteed until it is.

I mean, aside from a dedicated balloon-pricker like Jerry Sullivan, the media is generally going to reflect the vibes the organization is giving off, so I chalk a portion of it to that factor. But I certainly raised my eyebrows at the above.

Not sure many on or around the Sabres this year is equipped to cope with disappointment this year. The meltdowns could be epic.

Keeping the ship on even keel might turn out to be Granato's biggest challenge.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think AI has infiltrated Sabrespace.  

I think maybe the Sabres are using it to target goalies and Dmen.

+++++

Speaking of AI, I attended a very interesting and somewhat scary seminar just this morning.  As a CPA who is trusted to guard the confidential data of my client's with my life AI has complicated and important considerations around the safe-guarding of sensitive data.  Financial data and private information about employees.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I will wait and hold judgement until after the first 10 games. Pre season is hard to judge. Our young kid dmen that went to Rochester looked great against NHL lines, but our starters looked slow, like they were just trying not to get hurt. We were not that physical defense wise, but again, it was preseason. With the exception of 6K the goalies looked ok, but again, it is preseason. Are there concerns? Uhhhh yeah! Until we show consistent defensive and PK good play, i will wonder. Our Preseason was almost 90% to see the kids play, not the regulars (which really showed during the Pitt game).  

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

It's striking how unanimously the local media is drinking the koolaid.

The goaltending and the defence aren't proven fixed until they are. The offence is not guaranteed until it is.

I mean, aside from a dedicated balloon-pricker like Jerry Sullivan, the media is generally going to reflect the vibes the organization is giving off, so I chalk a portion of it to that factor. But I certainly raised my eyebrows at the above.

Not sure many on or around the Sabres this year is equipped to cope with disappointment this year. The meltdowns could be epic.

Keeping the ship on even keel might turn out to be Granato's biggest challenge.

Chad has been pretty balanced 

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think AI has infiltrated Sabrespace.  

10863E96-BCC0-415C-8153-5AB3A0CA51E2.webp.8969c52043db760abc57089436122404.webp

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.