Terry Pegula named Sabres President; PSE separating Bills and Sabres

Doohickie

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm quite sure the league would have no problem with the Sabres moving to Houston (or Atlanta or some other U.S. market) but I also see no reason to think this is going to happen. 

I think if a team is to be sold (again, no reason to think that) it is more likely to be the Bills, as Terry's a hockey fan. 

Who is the single most powerful owner in the entire league?

Where is he from?

Yeah, the Sabres will be allowed to move on the 10th of Never.

16 hours ago, ... said:

PSE was Kim's project. Kim can't proceed with PSE.

+

Whomever in the family was slated to take over PSE and, therefore, both sport properties and other activities, isn't prepared to/eager/ready/willing to take on such a huge responsibility.

+

Terry is getting old and is likely trying to reduce his work load.

+

On further reflection, I’ve come to see the dismantling of PSE as, at least in part (and probably in large part), a consequence of Kim’s condition. This is a good take above.

I’ll add this: I think Terry is happy to be pretty busy with ownership work that he likes — remember the “we walk in 2 different directions when we get off the elevator” line from Kim. Terry doesn’t like the PSE business administration work.

• Agree 1

https://theathletic.com/4812994/2023/08/28/terry-pegula-dissolves-pse-sabres-bills/

The most telling quote from the story.

An unspoken aspect of this series of business moves is how decisively Terry Pegula and Roth have come to the conclusion Kim Pegula’s biggest business ideas have proven unviable. Unable to work after a debilitating cardiac arrest last year, her creations and closest allies continue to vanish from the company.

9 employees were let go.  TG and Roth run both franchises.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/4812994/2023/08/28/terry-pegula-dissolves-pse-sabres-bills/

The most telling quote from the story.

9 employees were let go.  TG and Roth run both franchises.  

"Nevertheless, those Sabres-are-for-sale rumors spiked again Monday. While the chances of that being true are close to nil according to team sources, that won’t stop the speculation from being revived today."

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

On further reflection, I’ve come to see the dismantling of PSE as, at least in part (and probably in large part), a consequence of Kim’s condition. This is a good take above.

I’ll add this: I think Terry is happy to be pretty busy with ownership work that he likes — remember the “we walk in 2 different directions when we get off the elevator” line from Kim. Terry doesn’t like the PSE business administration work.

So he named himself president? (In the Ted Black/Kim role; he's been hockey prez since day one.)

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

What does this mean?

He is referring to longtime Bruins owners The Jacobs who are from Buffalo and own Delaware North who do the food for the arena. Jacobs is the Godfather owner of the NHL. He thinks that Jacobs won’t approve a move for the Sabres to leave Buffalo

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

He is referring to longtime Bruins owners The Jacobs who are from Buffalo and own Delaware North who do the food for the arena. Jacobs is the Godfather owner of the NHL. He thinks that Jacobs won’t approve a move for the Sabres to leave Buffalo

Gotcha.  Thanks.

I think there is zero chance that Jacobs would, or could, block the Sabres from moving. 

20 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

If Kim isn’t around nobody wants to run it.  Pegula has always just wanted to run the Sabres. He can hire someone else to run the Bills without having them worry about hockey. The kids tried their hand and failed, this is plan B

What did the kids actually run?   Other that making ball caps what did they do related to Bills or Sabres.  I think the answer is nothing.  

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

He did. No choice, really. But at least now his status as chief officer is more direct and the PSE layer is gone.

I guess my point was now he's added all the business side duties that Kim used to have. So he gets off the elevator and goes where? Unless the title is nominal, he has a lot more on his plate now. Stuff as you pointed out Terry didn't want to do at the beginning.

25 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What did the kids actually run?   Other that making ball caps what did they do related to Bills or Sabres.  I think the answer is nothing.  

I think they tried that quick food place "The Healthy Scratch" for a while that was in Harbor Center. 

Terrible name for a place associated with food. I went in there once and looked at the menu and walked out. Looked terrible and it didn't last too long. 

I am not aware of any others. 

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Why in God's name would you lock it?

I've never really understood why anyone other than the mods/SDS can lock a thread.  But that's a story for another day and a different thread.

Anyway, they originally split the roles, right?  Kim president of one team, Terry the other.  I want to say Kim was the Bills.  Is that right?

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

I've never really understood why anyone other than the mods/SDS can lock a thread.  But that's a story for another day and a different thread.

Anyway, they originally split the roles, right?  Kim president of one team, Terry the other.  I want to say Kim was the Bills.  Is that right?

Not sure about Bills. To start Ted Black was president of the Sabres but only in a business side role. Terry was clearly hockey president de facto. Kim took over when Ted was shitcanned.

It makes your head spin. As always I trust that Terry knows what he's doing.

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Same direction he's always gone, and John Roth goes where Kim used to go.

You're implying a separation that doesn't seem to have existed in recent times anyway. Whether Terry will be spending more time on the business side given his promotion remains to be seen. But it seems clear he doesn't go one way off that elevator anymore.

"Owner Terry Pegula has been named President of the Buffalo Sabres. He will continue to work closely with COO John Roth leading the business side of the organization and general manager Kevyn Adams leading the hockey side of the organization."

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Gotcha.  Thanks.

I think there is zero chance that Jacobs would, or could, block the Sabres from moving. 

If you don't believe that please explain why the league would allow a relocation to Houston or anywhere else and essentially take a near billion dollar expansion fee, put it in a pile, douse it in lighter fluid and set it on fire?

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

"Owner Terry Pegula has been named President of the Buffalo Sabres. He will continue to work closely with COO John Roth leading the business side of the organization and general manager Kevyn Adams leading the hockey side of the organization."

That's press release speak.  In the end, both Roth and Adams are empowered executives.  I think Terry trusts them both (which was not the case with previous GMs), which actually makes his involvement less impactful.  I think he's learning to not be meddlesome, or at least trying.

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If you don't believe that please explain why the league would allow a relocation to Houston or anywhere else and essentially take a near billion dollar expansion fee, put it in a pile, douse it in lighter fluid and set it on fire?

First, this is a different point from the one I was reacting to -- which was your claim that Jacobs would block the Sabres from moving.

Second, you are correct that the league would certainly prefer an expansion team to a relocated team.  It would take several years of terrible attendance and the franchise being an embarrassment to the NHL, combined with zero buyers interested in keeping the team in Buffalo and several buyers interested in moving it to a new city, for the NHL to approve a move.  My point was simply that under those circumstances, Jacobs by himself would not and could not prevent the team from moving.

Overall, I'm not super-concerned about this happening anytime soon.  But if TP sells the team, the likelihood unquestionably rises from essentially zero. 

This thread is interesting.   

Kim is not able to fulfill her role as President, that is what is causing the shake up.  How are these latest changes efficient, economic, and effective?  Are we still doing that?  

I am confused.  Ron Raccuia was let go from the Bills, and COO John Roth, who was running the Sabres business side was given responsibility for both teams.  Now, ONE Buffalo is gone, so is Roth is now running the football business and Terry the hockey side?   Are they each working both (efficient) - that sounds like ONE Buffalo? 

We read that Terry is breaking up the ONE Buffalo layer and running the teams as two separate organizations. Normally this means more jobs, yet in Pegula Land 9 people are laid off so far.  Either One Buffalo was an extra layer of fluff that Kim created, or the business side has to do more work with less people (economic).  

The one constant with Terry Pegula is an ever-changing and always confusing organizational structure.  From the time he took over the Sabres right up to today, his organizational structure has taken big swings in direction, from bloated to a skeleton crew and now back to two organizations.  Terry business is often in a state of flux.  How can this help build the long term success that Adams talks about (effective)?  

I just hope he leaves Adams and Granato alone. I don’t trust him making decision on the sports side of either team. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.