Rick Jeanneret: 1942–2023

PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s the Ted Darling booth, what will they do for RJ? I assume the team will wear a patch on the jersey’s all next season.  At UGA they do a hype video before each game with a recorded soundtrack from beloved UGA announcer Larry Munson.  It would be great if the Sabres would do a similar thing with a recording from RJ if they have one. 

I have to disagree. It's time to move on from tying the present day team so directly to Rick. We also have to think of Dan here. He's the man now.

And are you asking if the Sabres would have the material for such a "hype video"?

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

On second thought, maybe not. I heard it said that Gurtler came up with it. Not true?

Dom's not a reliable source. He recently credited it to RJ. I am sure that's not true.

I might have to recant. I was probably thinking of Demonic/Satanic Goathead.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I might have to recant. I was probably thinking of Demonic/Satanic Goathead.

I am amused by how little reliable information is out there on the origins of Hasek's nickname.

Here's the only thing I could find linking it to Gurtler. Good ol' buffalo74's wordpress blog.

https://buffalo74.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/dominik-hasek/

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I am amused by how little reliable information is out there on the origins of Hasek's nickname.

This is likely because it wasn't exactly a difficult nickname to come up with.  It was as natural as calling cocaine "coke" or calling LeBron James "King."  How can there even be an originator?  It's like right there in front of everyone, like a bad softball pitch to a batter with a fat stick.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

This is likely because it wasn't exactly a difficult nickname to come up with.  It was as natural as calling cocaine "coke" or calling LeBron James "King."  How can there even be an originator?  It's like right there in front of everyone, like a bad softball pitch to a batter with a fat stick.

It doesn't strike me as utterly obvious to nickname LeBron James "King James." It's a really good nickname, which is why it stuck, but it wasn't inevitable. The Akron Hammer didn't stick. Nor did efforts to call him L-Train.

As for Dominator, it seems obvious now. "Dr. Dom" didn't stick. "Gumby" didn't take. To Hasek's relief, "The Count" didn't become a thing. (See linked and below.) But someone coined "Dominator." I think it was Gurtler.

https://www.thehockeybeast.com/nhl/the-dominator-once-had-a-completely-different-nickname-that-he-hated-the-story-of-its-origin-is-absolutely-incredible/

Before The Dominator became a thing, he was nicknamed ”Dr. Dom” by Mike Keenan and ”Gumby” by broadcasters. But for a short period of time, he was also nicknamed ”The Count,” and he didn’t like it one bit.

”We’re going on a road trip, and we’re getting on the plane, and he had an overcoat,” said Mitch Korn, Hasek’s former goalie coach in Buffalo, in the podcast When Goalies Were Weird.

”He did not put his arms through the overcoat. He buttoned the very top and, (like) back in medieval times, it looked like a cape."

”And one of the guys nicknamed him The Count.”

“He did not like that,” Korn said. “And it hung around until he got good. And when he got good, it disappeared in a hurry, replaced by The Dominator.”

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I have to disagree. It's time to move on from tying the present day team so directly to Rick. We also have to think of Dan here. He's the man now.

And are you asking if the Sabres would have the material for such a "hype video"?

What?  Why should the franchise move on from one of its iconic people?  It's like saying we should forget about Hasek and the French Connection.  The hype video isn't for it's for getting the fan at the game up for the game.  At UGA  the Munson soundtrack is a general one with the video people creating a highlight package of GA players dominating that week's opponents over the years.  It's called "the Battle Hymn of the Bulldog Nation"  and this is followed by "it's Saturday in Athens."

While the Sabres have plenty of sound bites of RJ's great calls, I don't know if they have something like the Larry Munson recording UGA uses.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What?  Why should the franchise move on from one of its iconic people?  It's like saying we should forget about Hasek and the French Connection.  The hype video isn't for it's for getting the fan at the game up for the game.  At UGA  the Munson soundtrack is a general one with the video people creating a highlight package of GA players dominating that week's opponents over the years.  It's called "the Battle Hymn of the Bulldog Nation"  and this is followed by "it's Saturday in Athens."

While the Sabres have plenty of sound bites of RJ's great calls, I don't know if they have something like the Larry Munson recording UGA uses.

Honestly, there are only two posters who give a ***** about UGA.  Probably fewer than a dozen who care about pro college sports.

Edited by Eleven

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It doesn't strike me as utterly obvious to nickname LeBron James "King James." It's a really good nickname, which is why it stuck, but it wasn't inevitable. The Akron Hammer didn't stick. Nor did efforts to call him L-Train.

As for Dominator, it seems obvious now. "Dr. Dom" didn't stick. "Gumby" didn't take. To Hasek's relief, "The Count" didn't become a thing. (See linked and below.) But someone coined "Dominator." I think it was Gurtler.

https://www.thehockeybeast.com/nhl/the-dominator-once-had-a-completely-different-nickname-that-he-hated-the-story-of-its-origin-is-absolutely-incredible/

Before The Dominator became a thing, he was nicknamed ”Dr. Dom” by Mike Keenan and ”Gumby” by broadcasters. But for a short period of time, he was also nicknamed ”The Count,” and he didn’t like it one bit.

”We’re going on a road trip, and we’re getting on the plane, and he had an overcoat,” said Mitch Korn, Hasek’s former goalie coach in Buffalo, in the podcast When Goalies Were Weird.

”He did not put his arms through the overcoat. He buttoned the very top and, (like) back in medieval times, it looked like a cape."

”And one of the guys nicknamed him The Count.”

“He did not like that,” Korn said. “And it hung around until he got good. And when he got good, it disappeared in a hurry, replaced by The Dominator.”

Count Domula

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Honestly, there are only two posters who give a ***** about UGA.  Probably fewer than a dozen who care about pro college sports.

I think you missed the point.  I'm hoping the Sabres do something similar as UGA did for Munson for RJ at Sabres home games.  I think hearing RJ before every game would energize the crowd.

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think you missed the point.  I'm hoping the Sabres do something similar as UGA did for Munson for RJ at Sabres home games.  I think hearing RJ before every game would energize the crowd.

Everyone has their own preferences. So, I'm not suggesting anyone is wrong who has a different view on this issue. However, hearing RJ's voice before every game doesn't appeal to me or I suspect most people. A patch with his initials on the jerseys would be appropriate, and a tribute played before the puck is dropped in the first game would also be appropriate and is probable. And it wouldn't be surprising that sometime in the future a statue will be installed somewhere in or around the building. 

• Like (+1) 1

It could be cool though if, just before the team steps on the ice, RJs voice is heard saying “Are you ready?”. Just minus the legion of doom bit. 

the Glasgow Clan do a version of this, they black out the arena and “here is your Glasgow Clan” is shouted, lights on and music right as announcer is done and the team are stepping out. It gets us all hyped. 

8 hours ago, steveoath said:

It could be cool though if, just before the team steps on the ice, RJs voice is heard saying “Are you ready?”. Just minus the legion of doom bit. 

the Glasgow Clan do a version of this, they black out the arena and “here is your Glasgow Clan” is shouted, lights on and music right as announcer is done and the team are stepping out. It gets us all hyped. 

I like that one. "And here we go" at puck drop. This is more subtle stuff than all the blaring goals calls strung together. A funny one would be Rick's snarky "whenever..." when the linesman refuses to drop the puck. "And the game is over!"

Otherwise it's time to put Dan front and center.

The franchise needs to step out of the past.

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I would see this similar to the intro they play before they take the ice in the goatheads.  It starts with a flashback of things in the past and ties it to the present.  There is a question of the reverence to a person versus a uniform, but I think the direction you are heading has value.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I like that one. "And here we go" at puck drop. This is more subtle stuff than all the blaring goals calls strung together. A funny one would be Rick's snarky "whenever..." when the linesman refuses to drop the puck. "And the game is over!"

Otherwise it's time to put Dan front and center.

The franchise needs to step out of the past.

See above. The franchise dutifully pulls in the past as necessary. It doesn't necessarily change what is happening today and even better if its tied into things.

at some point however, the same intro reel with the same calls would do nothing but diminish the greatness of those calls.  It's one thing to be reminded of May Day and to find it brought up here and there. It would be quite another to play it before every home game... I do think it would become tired.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.