Buffalo sabres Coaching staff Received Contract extensions.?

Buffalonill

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

So playoff teams and serous  teams fire coaches for failures but buffalo rewards one of the worst PK's in the league ?

got-it-350-x-350-gif-3z950r51xi09bbgz.gi

So let's just ignore that for most of the year, they had one of the best power plays in the league. They've turned into one of the top scoring teams in a league. They have several players that have developed really well, much better than they have under previous coaching staffs. Improvement has been seen all over the roster and all over the scoring sheet and even standings.

Since this management team and coaching staff took over, i'm not expecting them to flick a switch and turn into a stanley cup contender overnight. What  a good coaching staff does is continues development of players, and they show overall improvement. That's exactly what this staff has done.

I don't see how one can knitpick on one aspect of a possible coaching staff 'failure' and derive a whole narrative from it.

• Like (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

So let's just ignore that for most of the year, they had one of the best power plays in the league. They've turned into one of the top scoring teams in a league. They have several players that have developed really well, much better than they have under previous coaching staffs. Improvement has been seen all over the roster and all over the scoring sheet and even standings.

Since this management team and coaching staff took over, i'm not expecting them to flick a switch and turn into a stanley cup contender overnight. What  a good coaching staff does is continues development of players, and they show overall improvement. That's exactly what this staff has done.

I don't see how one can knitpick on one aspect of a possible coaching staff 'failure' and derive a whole narrative from it.

You can't be serious what was good Goalies no... Defense no.. pk..no 

You mean the PowerPlay where the teams figured out you just need to stop tage ? It was the most obvious pp After a while.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

You mean the PowerPlay where the teams figured out you just need to stop tage ? It was the most obvious pp After a while.

You dropped your binky. (Ducks) I kid, I kid.........

You bring up valid points, but we are still in the off season. Let's where we stand at season open in October. Patience?

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Except they didn't have one of the best PPs for most of the year.  They had a several week stretch where the PP was absolutely lights out starting just before Cozens got moved to the top unit but it didn't start the year great and it fell off the face of the earth the last couple of months of the season.

The entry on the PP was bad the entire season.

Considering the talent on the PP, personally was extremely frustrated with the overall play of that unit (the aforementioned stretch where it was beyond good not withstanding).  That unit has to be run better this season because they aren't going to be facing a steady diet of backup goalies this year.

Agree with most of the rest of your post, but the PP for most of the season was relatively terrible.

9 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

You dropped your binky. (Ducks) I kid, I kid.........

You bring up valid points, but we are still in the off season. Let's where we stand at season open in October. Patience?

I would understand if the team succeeded but they didn't 

I would like to understand the logic Of giving people an extension when you suck at your job.

In the real world you get replaced or  Demoted

Bryson: 59 games

Stillman: 18 games

Clague: 33 games

Fitzgerald: 23 games

Pilut: 17 games

Davies: 1 game

All of the above are still in the system (save Fitzgerald). When this many games are played by bad defenders, of course the defense and the PK won’t be good, which will make the goaltending worse. Stillman is probably the best of the bunch, and is now our 8D. Bryson was 6D most of the season and is now our 9/10. We should see significant improvement in each of your problem areas this coming season. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I would like to understand the logic Of giving people an extension when you suck at your job.

Success being relative.  They had 10 more points than the 2nd best team of the tank/post-tank era.  They had, until the final 10 game segment, some of the worst goaltending of that era.  

And with coaches, you should ALWAYS want to have them on a contract through at least the end of the next season or else they can walk away as soon as the current season is done even for a lateral move.  Nobody's going to prevent a guy from moving up the food chain with another organization, but you can keep guys from just walking away.  And you can always can them if you choose.  It's Daddy Bigbucks money; have no issues whatsoever with him spending it.

• Agree 2

Sorta in the same vein as what @Taro T said …. You can have coaches sign a contract for 10 years if you want. And fire them three days later. It’s really not anything to be concerned about. Well, at least most fans aren’t concerned. Non issue.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Success being relative.  They had 10 more points than the 2nd best team of the tank/post-tank era.  They had, until the final 10 game segment, some of the worst goaltending of that era.  

And with coaches, you should ALWAYS want to have them on a contract through at least the end of the next season or else they can walk away as soon as the current season is done even for a lateral move.  Nobody's going to prevent a guy from moving up the food chain with another organization, but you can keep guys from just walking away.  And you can always can them if you choose.  It's Daddy Bigbucks money; have no issues whatsoever with him spending it.

I can totally understand Rochester getting Extensions because they exceeded (long playoffs) 

• Buffalonill changed the title to Buffalo sabres Coaching staff Received Contract extensions.?

I don't know about the bolded. In today's world it's no longer merit based, it's based on ideological beliefs in most cases, and that is just the times within which we live. At least from what I'm witnessing out there now anyways.

🤔

10 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Yeah that's what happens you move up and get a promotion. 

Apparently the sabres organization doesn't believe in that 

Yeah, tell that to Adam Mair, and Jerry Forton, and Nathan Paestch and Kevyn Adams.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

The defense that mattered has gotten better, Dahlin, Power, and Muel. The rest is filler and idk how anyone expects a coaching staff to make Bryson, PIlut, Fitgerald NHL regulars. 

• Agree 2

I'm with @Buffalonill on this 1, not sure why were shelling out contract extensions until we actually start seeing playoff results, doesn't make much sense imo. I 100% understand our offense took a huge leap forward but you also can't deny it sputtered down the stretch that we needed it the most. Our PP became predictable and even downright frustrating once teams took away Thompson, I also realize Tage got injured for a bit but when we needed the team to run on all cylinders we failed. I'm not sure why any defensive coach is getting a raise until they prove they are worth the contract. Toronto fires coaches and GM's for not getting passed the 2nd round of playoffs and we award coaches for almost making it, I want the standards to be higher but again just my opinion.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

9 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm with @Buffalonill on this 1, not sure why were shelling out contract extensions until we actually start seeing playoff results, doesn't make much sense imo. I 100% understand our offense took a huge leap forward but you also can't deny it sputtered down the stretch that we needed it the most. Our PP became predictable and even downright frustrating once teams took away Thompson, I also realize Tage got injured for a bit but when we needed the team to run on all cylinders we failed. I'm not sure why any defensive coach is getting a raise until they prove they are worth the contract. Toronto fires coaches and GM's for not getting passed the 2nd round of playoffs and we award coaches for almost making it, I want the standards to be higher but again just my opinion.

Because they (for whatever reason) like these coaches enough to have them in those roles this year.  If they have contracts that expire on June 30, then ANY other team can put them into the exact same role as they filled as employees of the Sabres organization whether the Sabres organization would like to keep them or not.

If they have contracts that expire on June 30, 2025 or later THEN in order for another team to poach them, they have to give them what would be a promotion above their current position.  The Sabres would also have the option of bumping the guy up themselves rather than letting him interview for that higher position in another organization.

Though it looks like it ISN'T putting a priority on winning (gee, they give rewards to guys that aren't getting the job done) it's actually putting a priority on winning.  They expect these teams to be winning this coming season and expect the people they have in house to contribute to that.  Are they correct in their assessments?  Don't know.  (And personally wanted the Sabres PP coach to get punted into the sun.)  If they're wrong, then all that is lost at the end of the season is several $k of Pegula bucks.  If they're right, nothing is lost and they can keep the same staffs in place provided nobody wants to give any of them promotions.  (Like Peca and Weber received.)

It really is that simple.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

They trust DG and like what he has done and is building towards.

DG is loyal to his staff and wanted them kept around.

I agree with @Taro Tthat the special teams coaching could use some help or replacement. I was hoping to see Quinn on PP1 to bring another good shooter in plus his puck handling and passing ability would add a few layers of options.

I’m not a fan of TNT and VO just standing around waiting to be fed. That is one look they can use but really lacks creativity.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Sabres finished the season 9-3-1. I will refute this bs narrative wherever I see it. Buffalo didn't collapse or sputter down the stretch, they actually showed a lot of resilience and almost made the playoffs. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.