Buffalo sabres Coaching staff Received Contract extensions.?

Buffalonill

55 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I would have liked to see some changes for more experienced assistants, but LOYALTY seems to be the theme of this regime.  The only way to get new assistants is to fire Granato himself....as I don't see our current assistants going anywhere else (ex. promotions).

I don’t know that firing coaches after back-to-back years of significant improvement in the standings and the young player corps is in keeping with the climate they are trying to create.

But I would hope the special teams and goaltending are feeling the heat should the improvement stall.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

And went 1W-11L before that  "9-3" 

No they didn't. You didn't even get the math right. 

2-8-2 and they lost 4 of those games by 1 goal or less. NARRATIVE harder in the face of them facts discountPA

During the 8 game losing streak they lost all those games (except Vancouver) by 2 or more goals. Again, tell me about the "collapse" more, I love hearing about this event that didn't happen. 

Edited by LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No they didn't. You didn't even get the math right. 

2-8-2 and they lost 4 of those games by 1 goal or less. NARRATIVE harder in the face of them facts discountPA

During the 8 game losing streak they lost all those games (except Vancouver) by 2 or more goals. Again, tell me about the "collapse" more, I love hearing about this event that didn't happen. 

2/28- 3/21 is 1W-11L

Edited by Buffalonill

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No it isn't. 

They won on 3/4 against Tampa, they won on 3/13 against Toronto. 

They lost in ot and a shootout on 3/11 to the Rangers and 3/15 to the Caps.

2-8-2

Look up the Schedule 2/28- 3/21 

Its 1w -11L if you want to be that guy

1W -10L-1OT

But a loss is a loss in my opinion Even in OT

• dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Look up the Schedule 2/28- 3/21 

Its 1w -11L if you want to be that guy

1W -10L-1OT

But a loss is a loss in my opinion Even in OT

I did and I gave you the exact dates we won. You're wrong. 

2-8-2. 

Sabres_wins.thumb.png.f0ca16c7be4f7719c269e9f3cf961929.png

Edited by LGR4GM

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Because they (for whatever reason) like these coaches enough to have them in those roles this year.  If they have contracts that expire on June 30, then ANY other team can put them into the exact same role as they filled as employees of the Sabres organization whether the Sabres organization would like to keep them or not.

If they have contracts that expire on June 30, 2025 or later THEN in order for another team to poach them, they have to give them what would be a promotion above their current position.  The Sabres would also have the option of bumping the guy up themselves rather than letting him interview for that higher position in another organization.

Though it looks like it ISN'T putting a priority on winning (gee, they give rewards to guys that aren't getting the job done) it's actually putting a priority on winning.  They expect these teams to be winning this coming season and expect the people they have in house to contribute to that.  Are they correct in their assessments?  Don't know.  (And personally wanted the Sabres PP coach to get punted into the sun.)  If they're wrong, then all that is lost at the end of the season is several $k of Pegula bucks.  If they're right, nothing is lost and they can keep the same staffs in place provided nobody wants to give any of them promotions.  (Like Peca and Weber received.)

It really is that simple.

I get what you're saying and I'm not trying to be a debbie downer at all but I just don't agree with it. You reward them once they've actually deserved the reward not when you potentially could be better but again the Sabres did it but we don't all have to like it. I knew my take wouldn't be popular but I was just giving my opinion since people were hammering Buffalonill.

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

They trust DG and like what he has done and is building towards.

DG is loyal to his staff and wanted them kept around.

I agree with @Taro Tthat the special teams coaching could use some help or replacement. I was hoping to see Quinn on PP1 to bring another good shooter in plus his puck handling and passing ability would add a few layers of options.

I’m not a fan of TNT and VO just standing around waiting to be fed. That is one look they can use but really lacks creativity.

This is another thing I don't like, hiring top notch people instead of your friends. McDermott has hired plenty of outside the box hires (Daboll, Dennison, maybe Frazier?) because he felt they were right for the job not just because they were buds but again it is what it is, I'm not bitter, I don't want them to fail I was just saying I wasn't a fan of the extensions that's all.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Sabres finished the season 9-3-1. I will refute this bs narrative wherever I see it. Buffalo didn't collapse or sputter down the stretch, they actually showed a lot of resilience and almost made the playoffs. 

Ok now what was the record from the time they were considered a playoff contender until they didn't make it to the playoffs. That is what I meant, I don't really care that they wen't 9-3-1 when they already knew the season was over, that's great but they went on like a 9-10 game losing streak in that playoff window, we were absolutely abysmal on the PK, the PP was predictable, no forwards worth a damn defensively. They 100% collapsed when the pressure of the playoffs was in sight, I don't care what you say. 

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Ok now what was the record from the time they were considered a playoff contender until they didn't make it to the playoffs. That is what I meant, I don't really care that they wen't 9-3-1 when they already knew the season was over, that's great but they went on like a 9-10 game losing streak in that playoff window, we were absolutely abysmal on the PK, the PP was predictable, no forwards worth a damn defensively. They 100% collapsed when the pressure of the playoffs was in sight, I don't care what you say. 

No they didn't. Lol. I mean nothing written from the bold on here is factual. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Eyeroll 1

As a point of fact, the coaching staff signed 3 year contacts 2 years ago.  This, without an extension, the coaches would have been in the last year of their contracts.  As a matter of normal NHL SOPs, if a team has even a shadow of an idea that it may want to keeps the staff past the forthcoming season, they give extensions because it lowers the chance for turmoil in the upcoming season.  IMHO, these extensions were inevitable.

• Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I get what you're saying and I'm not trying to be a debbie downer at all but I just don't agree with it. You reward them once they've actually deserved the reward not when you potentially could be better but again the Sabres did it but we don't all have to like it. I knew my take wouldn't be popular but I was just giving my opinion since people were hammering Buffalonill.

This is another thing I don't like, hiring top notch people instead of your friends. McDermott has hired plenty of outside the box hires (Daboll, Dennison, maybe Frazier?) because he felt they were right for the job not just because they were buds but again it is what it is, I'm not bitter, I don't want them to fail I was just saying I wasn't a fan of the extensions that's all.

To your top paragraph, don't believe we will see eye to eye on that because as @Marvin stated, giving the coaches the contract extensions is leaguewide SOP.  But it's not a biggie that we don't agree.

To your last paragraph, the Sabres after that horrid 2-8-2 stretch were still only 7 points behind the 8th place team with a game in hand (which they ended up winning so they were effectively 5 points out of the playoffs); hardly a team that had been eliminated with 11 or 12 games (depending upon whether you look at the record with 12 games left or 11 so they and Florida had the same # of games remaining) still remaining.

And it wasn't a 9 or 10 game losing streak, it was a 2-8-2 stretch with 2 separate stretches where they only took 1 of 8 points.  It's still bad, but don't really see a need to exaggerate how bad it was.  And that streak very much coincided with Tuch missing time, Dahlin reaggravating the injury he was playing through, Thompson getting injured, and IIRC Samuelsson also was reinjured in that stretch.  That's some serious quality hockey out of action and they still closed out the season almost well enough to get back into the playoffs.  (They did get back into the picture.  Being 1 point behind 8th is by definition in the picture; it's just outside where they needed to be.)

The day before the rough stretch began, they were 1 point out of the playoffs behind the Aisles by 3 (with 5 games in hand) and the Pens by 1 (with 1 game in hand) and ahead of the rest of the middle 4 teams in their own division by 2-4 points and with 1-3 games in hand.  But they were still technically out of the playoffs on that date.  Lyon went crazy good for the Swamp Cats when Bobrovsky missed a couple games due to illness and they made up 4 points while having played 3 more games.  They also caught the Aisles who were even 3 points further ahead of them than the Sabres were.  Stinks, but it was Lyon coming out of nowhere to send Florida on a tear that killed the Sabres down the stretch more so than the injury riddled Sabres faltering again to a degree.  (Both hurt, but the Cats went on a crazy good run to go from nearly out of the picture into grabbing the last spot.)

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I did and I gave you the exact dates we won. You're wrong. 

2-8-2. 

Sabres_wins.thumb.png.f0ca16c7be4f7719c269e9f3cf961929.png

50 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

There is a discrepancy between these listings because of the games rescheduled by snow.  I do not recall what actually happened.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

To your top paragraph, don't believe we will see eye to eye on that because as @Marvin stated, giving the coaches the contract extensions is leaguewide SOP.  But it's not a biggie that we don't agree.

To your last paragraph, the Sabres after that horrid 2-8-2 stretch were still only 7 points behind the 8th place team with a game in hand (which they ended up winning so they were effectively 5 points out of the playoffs); hardly a team that had been eliminated with 11 or 12 games (depending upon whether you look at the record with 12 games left or 11 so they and Florida had the same # of games remaining) still remaining.

And it wasn't a 9 or 10 game losing streak, it was a 2-8-2 stretch with 2 separate stretches where they only took 1 of 8 points.  It's still bad, but don't really see a need to exaggerate how bad it was.  And that streak very much coincided with Tuch missing time, Dahlin reaggravating the injury he was playing through, Thompson getting injured, and IIRC Samuelsson also was reinjured in that stretch.  That's some serious quality hockey out of action and they still closed out the season almost well enough to get back into the playoffs.  (They did get back into the picture.  Being 1 point behind 8th is by definition in the picture; it's just outside where they needed to be.)

The day before the rough stretch began, they were 1 point out of the playoffs behind the Aisles by 3 (with 5 games in hand) and the Pens by 1 (with 1 game in hand) and ahead of the rest of the middle 4 teams in their own division by 2-4 points and with 1-3 games in hand.  But they were still technically out of the playoffs on that date.  Lyon went crazy good for the Swamp Cats when Bobrovsky missed a couple games due to illness and they made up 4 points while having played 3 more games.  They also caught the Aisles who were even 3 points further ahead of them than the Sabres were.  Stinks, but it was Lyon coming out of nowhere to send Florida on a tear that killed the Sabres down the stretch more so than the injury riddled Sabres faltering again to a degree.  (Both hurt, but the Cats went on a crazy good run to go from nearly out of the picture into grabbing the last spot.)

Yes they lost 5 in a row not 9-10 games, maybe it just felt like that to me. It was crucial though and a big reason we didn't make the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

There is a discrepancy between these listings because of the games rescheduled by snow.  I do not recall what actually happened.

Liger's version is the one including the games as actually played, not originally scheduled.  The Sabres were supposed to play Filly on March 4.  They actually played TB that night.

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Yes they lost 5 in a row not 9-10 games, maybe it just felt like that to me. It was crucial though and a big reason we didn't make the playoffs.

Actually, it was 4 in a row on 2 separate occasions.  Not 5.  Just sayin' ... 😉

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Liger's version is the one including the games as actually played, not originally scheduled.  The Sabres were supposed to play Filly on March 4.  They actually played TB that night.

Actually, it was 4 in a row on 2 separate occasions.  Not 5.  Just sayin' ... 😉

You're correct I counted the Devils game a s a loss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t know that firing coaches after back-to-back years of significant improvement in the standings and the young player corps is in keeping with the climate they are trying to create.

But I would hope the special teams and goaltending are feeling the heat should the improvement stall.

I thought this Twitter Thread was very appropriate 

IMG_0091.png

25 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

No you are right. They definitely lost 9 plus games in a row .

And they did that in the middle of the year too

Edited by Buffalonill

The Sabres also have Dan Giardi as an Assistant Coach on Staff for the Defense.  By His own choice he does not always travel with the team, but is at every home game and home practice to work with the Defense. 

Per Andrew Peters on ATW, yes I was desperate for something to listen to on the way home from the 1000 Islands yesterday, Peca was offered a position as an Assistant with the Sabres, the reason he did not take the position is he wanted to be behind the bench during games and the the team offered the coaches box, that’s why he went with NYR. 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.