Amerks Name New Assistant Coaches

Brawndo

Patches has already been working with Johnson and our other young D, so there should be a nice transition there.

I guess we now need a new development coach.

Prospal had a good NHL career and 3 years as a head coach in the Czech league. Smart, versatile player no idea of what sold him for this job. All the young Euros in the system may have been a consideration.

Edited by dudacek

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Patches has already been working with Johnson and our other young D, so there should be a nice transition there.

I guess we now need a new development coach.

Prospal had a good NHL career and 3 years as a head coach in the Czech league. Smart, versatile player no idea of what sold him for this job. All the young Euros in the system may have been a consideration.

Good moves in that one is a logical promotion from within, and the other was recruited from outside to bring in a fresh perspective.  

• Like (+1) 3

Paetsch is a very logical choice.  They've seen him in action on the development side of things, so expecting he'll be a good fit in this new role.

Prospal is a very intersting choice.  Always liked him as a player.  Hoping he's as good of a coach as he was an NHLer.

On paper, both look like very good additions.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure what to take from that. Isn't Czech the main language in the Czech Republic? I assume he speaks that, which is great for Kulich and Rousek.

He may have had Russian players on his team, but that doesn't answer my question. We have Russians on the Amerks and our head coach doesn't speak much Russian.

I was just thinking it'd be more likely Prospal does speak some Russian, which would be a nice bonus for helping with some of our upcoming Russian prospects.

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

20 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I'm not sure what to take from that.

If you're talking about my post: I was mostly just clowning around. Mostly. As was discussed in the Hasek thread, Czechs apparently despise Russians, in general. And little wonder. 1968 wasn't that long ago - certainly well within the lifetimes of some of those who post here.

Prague-1968-A-knock-on-the-door-tanks-in

• Agree 1

Yeah. I get it. But a lot of Europeans speak multiple languages. I couldn't find statistics on how common Russian is in the Czech Republic. 

When I was looking to see what languages he speaks I found this page:

https://www.visitczechrepublic.com/en-US/57cff387-4684-472a-be8a-bd86d792898e/page/language

Which says:

Although the vast majority of the population of the Czech Republic (96%) speaks Czech, you can also hear Slovak, Russian, Polish, Ukrainian, or Vietnamese as these are languages of the largest national minorities in the Czech Republic.

6 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Yeah. I get it. But a lot of Europeans speak multiple languages. I couldn't find statistics on how common Russian is in the Czech Republic. 

When I was looking to see what languages he speaks I found this page:

https://www.visitczechrepublic.com/en-US/57cff387-4684-472a-be8a-bd86d792898e/page/language

Which says:

At least until '89 when the Iron Curtain fell, Russian was the 2nd/3rd language for the people over there.  Guess it would depend upon which part of Czechoslovakia the person was from whether Slovak or Russian was the 2nd language.  The Russians made sure the citizens of all of their satellites could speak it.

Though the people there hate Russia (understandably), it might still be their 2nd language today.  (Much like most French people can speak English even though they dislike them even more than they dislike Germans.  (Still pissed over them not sticking around to get slaughtered at Dunkirk when the Brits decided to live to fight another day.))

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

At least until '89 when the Iron Curtain fell, Russian was the 2nd/3rd language for the people over there.  Guess it would depend upon which part of Czechoslovakia the person was from whether Slovak or Russian was the 2nd language.  The Russians made sure the citizens of all of their satellites could speak it.

Though the people there hate Russia (understandably), it might still be their 2nd language today.  (Much like most French people can speak English even though they dislike them even more than they dislike Germans.  (Still pissed over them not sticking around to get slaughtered at Dunkirk when the Brits decided to live to fight another day.))

Dunkirk is an interesting note to the final opening phase of WWII. The French still had a large standing army after Dunkirk but there was no leadership or will to continue the war. The main lesson from the German penetration through the Ardennes in 1940 was that you needed defense in depth to blunt a blitzkrieg which is something 4 years later the Americans had when the Germans tried again. The French actually did a great job once they were compressed of holding different parts of the advances into Dunkirk but at that point it was too little and too late. Simply put the lack of modern mechanized units (tanks with small guns aren't great), proper combat command and comms (the French were SLOW), and the inability of the French to react strongly anywhere is why they lost. Tactics and communication were the big issues. Blaming the British for the very British pragmaticism they showed at the end is silly but understandable, the Nazis looted France and sucked. Still there was almost nothing the British could do once the French had no counter thrust to the thin German breakthrough.  

There was a belief by some, not most, in Germany that the Americans would react like the French in 1940, in that once the front was penetrated, they would retreat on all sides or at least stop attacking and fall back from Antwerp leaving the British 21st Army group to be destroyed. Unfortunately the Americans instead blocked every road, bridge, and tract wide enough for a tank from Clervaux to LaRoche all while setting up depth in defense as fast as was possible. The Elsenborn ridge which was a key part of getting to Antwerp just dug in, pre-sighted every available artillery piece within a 100 miles and shot to ***** anyone who tried to go through them. The 99th infantry division did major work and gets little credit for the truly remarkable job they did in stopping the German advance. 

This is a long way of saying while I understand the French being upset, they were partially if not fully to blame, and the British ended up being correct in their withholding of air support (fighters) and moving the bulk of their manpower back across the channel. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On Paetsch, as a footnote / reminder / fyi to our newer fans, https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2015/09/04/nathan-paetsch/71591544/

For me, obviously gambling laws are loosening and are questionable in the first place.  I guess I'm a little surprised the Pegula's are deciding to look the other way and pay the man what I assume is a handsome salary.  Meanwhile, the ring leaders got 9 years in jail.

2 hours ago, Getpucksdeep said:

On Paetsch, as a footnote / reminder / fyi to our newer fans, https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2015/09/04/nathan-paetsch/71591544/

For me, obviously gambling laws are loosening and are questionable in the first place.  I guess I'm a little surprised the Pegula's are deciding to look the other way and pay the man what I assume is a handsome salary.  Meanwhile, the ring leaders got 9 years in jail.

Remember when Vanek signed over his paycheck to settle up a debt from this? Wild. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.