What’s left for KA to do this Summer?

GASabresIUFAN

The Sabres missed by 1 point last season.  The team was that close and that good with some stretches that were terrible.

KA has done enough that the Sabres will contend for the playoff and will make it baring disaster.

KA has brought in some key pieces on D, including what I felt was key - a playoff battle tested vet.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't see a Goalie move on the near term horizon.  Helle is too expensive for a short term rental and too expensive for a long term extension.  The other options are NOT significant enough upgrades to warrant a move.  I'm comfortable with Levi and UPL sharing net and Comrie most likely clearing waivers and staying fresh in Rochester.  

I think Bryson will be waived and clear and be in Rochester.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Maybe Anaheim eats some of the contract ? And the Sabres flip Gibson in a couple of years?

I think Gibson was who KA was talking about in the quote I posted. (Stats from last season)

Gibson - 53 gp 3.99 GAA, .899 Save % .481 Quality save %

Comrie - 19 gp 3.67 GAA, .886 save %, .421 Quality save %

UPL - 33 gp 3.61 GAA, .891 save %, .406 Quality save %

All 3 stink to high heaven.  Gibson's excuse was ANA's terrible defense and that may be partially true, but that doesn't account for all of it.  KA is looking at Gibson's numbers and asking himself why would I trade for him when it's the same crap I already have?  In his mind at least UPL, who is only 23, might improve.

I'd sign Halak before I traded for Gibson.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

We still do not have good 2 way players who can play on the PK or in hard/gritty shutdown type roles. 

Except Okposo, Girgensons, Johnson, Clifton, Greenway, Stillman and the developing Samuelsson, Krebs and Cozens.

This is what I meant with my post yesterday that people look past what has been happening and continue to see what they want to see on this particular issue.

I’m surprised people still see “developing” and “making the playoffs” at cross-purposes this year.

The Sabres “developed” into a 91-point team last year. If they “develop” any further, they’re in the playoffs.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

@Georgia Blizzard so you're OK with buffalo not making the playoffs?

I think they have a playoff roster with the moves they've made.

I don't think a move for a slightly better goaltender will make a material difference.

I want this team built for sustained long term success,

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Georgia Blizzard said:

I don't think a move for a slightly better goaltender will make a material difference.

It will be the difference between just making the playoffs as a WC vs being in the top 3 in the Atlantic division.  I'd argue it could easily make a 10 pt difference in the standings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

It will be the difference between just making the playoffs as a WC vs being in the top 3 in the Atlantic division.  I'd argue it could easily make a 10 pt difference in the standings.

I agree that Helle would give you 10pts, but he comes at a significant cost

The others, like Gibson, I don't see it making much of a difference.

So, in the case of Helle, under what situation are you comfortable:

1- on a rental for our 2024 1st or a forward prospect (let's say Östlund) ?

2- Sign him long term, for what is rumored as 8x$9m/yr ?

6 minutes ago, Georgia Blizzard said:

I agree that Helle would give you 10pts, but he comes at a significant cost

The others, like Gibson, I don't see it making much of a difference.

So, in the case of Helle, under what situation are you comfortable:

1- on a rental for our 2024 1st or a forward prospect (let's say Östlund) ?

2- Sign him long term, for what is rumored as 8x$9m/yr ?

I think you need to read my earlier post about Gibson.  

Gibson doesn't move the needle and is what KA was talking about when he said acquiring a goalie just because he has played a lot of games but isn't really better than what you already have.  

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Tokarski

UPL

Houser

Subban

Dell

Anderson

Levi

Comrie

Goalies KA has acquired since becoming GM. Maybe I’m forgetting someone. 

He didn't acquire UPL.  I'm not sure he acquired Houser either.  Anderson played well for us but couldn't play more than 25 games.  Levi is the future, but the rest are hot garbage.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think you need to read my earlier post about Gibson.  

Gibson doesn't move the needle and is what KA was talking about when he said acquiring a goalie just because he has played a lot of games but isn't really better than what you already have.  

Which goalie were you thinking of that would make a 10 pt difference ?

1 minute ago, Georgia Blizzard said:

Which goalie were you thinking of that would make a 10 pt difference ?

Saros, Helle, Hart to name 3 although only Helle is probably available.  I'd rent him for a year for Rosen, UPL, and another medium asset.  I think it's that important.

• dislike 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Saros, Helle, Hart to name 3 although only Helle is probably available.  I'd rent him for a year for Rosen, UPL, and another medium asset.  I think it's that important.

According to several media types and Jets fans, Cheveldayoff wants guys (plural) who can play in the NHL now in return for his former core players.  (Look at the haul he got for Pierre Luc DuBois.)  He will want more than that for Hellebuyck.  Nothing you have listed is in the NHL now.  Think Krebs, Quinn, and Peterka.

Edited by Marvin
Trade baseline.

10 minutes ago, Marvin said:

According to several media types and Jets fans, Cheveldayoff wants guys (plural) who can play in the NHL now in return for his former core players.  (Look at the haul he got for Pierre Luc DuBois.)  He will want more than that for Hellebuyck.  Nothing you have listed is in the NHL now.  Think Krebs, Quinn, and Peterka.

That's fantasy land.  Krebs and Rousek maybe, but probably not.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's fantasy land.  Krebs and Rousek maybe, but probably not.

Winnipeg won't give Helle away for peanuts, which is what the above is.  Helle is still under contract and so if I were them, I'd make him play and then see what they can get at the deadline.

20 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Winnipeg won't give Helle away for peanuts, which is what the above is.  Helle is still under contract and so if I were them, I'd make him play and then see what they can get at the deadline.

Eventually they will have to.  Won’t let him walk away and getting nothing in return 

we will see who blinks first 

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

As others have said he is patient and will not overpay.

I think he is keeping his powder dry and will make a move or two to get the roster trimmed a bit. Teams are over the cap or up against it with rosters to fill. There will be some cap casualties and he has space to pick one or two up.
He can also retain 50% of VO’s salary to make him more attractive.

It is nice depth to have 9 NHL defensemen but I think he moves 1 or 2 in an upgrade. Something like Joki+ for Hanifin. Bryson will not draw any interest, especially being above minimum wage, so I would send him down.

One of Comrie/UPL will probably be moved as well.

I’ve been saying it forever but there is still time to weaponize the cap space.

I agree with most of this, but as I've posted elsewhere, Joki is too valuable of an asset to give up for someone like Hanifin with 1 year left to UFA.  And I think Comrie/UPL only gets traded in a deal for another goalie.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

He knows how important it is to have a vet goalie to sit next to Levi in the locker room

i fully expect a trade to be made. Think they will have a real close look at Gibson

I also think they will bring in Hanifan   The fit is too good    He has history with Granato, correct ?

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I question if they want his long contract in my honest opinion I don't see it happening. 

I think they go with a guy that has 1-2 years left 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think Gibson was who KA was talking about in the quote I posted. (Stats from last season)

Gibson - 53 gp 3.99 GAA, .899 Save % .481 Quality save %

Comrie - 19 gp 3.67 GAA, .886 save %, .421 Quality save %

UPL - 33 gp 3.61 GAA, .891 save %, .406 Quality save %

All 3 stink to high heaven.  Gibson's excuse was ANA's terrible defense and that may be partially true, but that doesn't account for all of it.  KA is looking at Gibson's numbers and asking himself why would I trade for him when it's the same crap I already have?  In his mind at least UPL, who is only 23, might improve.

I'd sign Halak before I traded for Gibson.

I agree -- Gibson has $6.4MM x 4 years left.  Even if Anaheim retains 50%, which they won't, it's too much of a commitment.

I wonder whether KA would still be interested in Matt Murray (I doubt it though).  He only has 1 year left, and I'm sure the Leafs want to dump his contract.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

@Georgia Blizzard so you're OK with buffalo not making the playoffs?

OTOH, this is idiotic and annoying and not even close to what he said.

Don't communicate like this here.

1 hour ago, Georgia Blizzard said:

I think they have a playoff roster with the moves they've made.

I want this team built for sustained long term success,

And this was an intelligent and gentlemanly response.  You should post more often.

@Buffalonill -- pay attention.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’m surprised people still see “developing” and “making the playoffs” at cross-purposes this year.

The Sabres “developed” into a 91-point team last year. If they “develop” any further, they’re in the playoffs.

Well said. 

It is undeniably true though that if the goaltending stinks and they miss the playoffs by 2 points again, KA will be 100% at fault for not improving that position yet again.

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think right now this is below Chevy's asking price and above KA's bid.

I also think Chevy will end up dropping his price quite a bit and trading Helle sometime in the next month.

I'm not sure KA will be willing to trade Rosen, who it sounds like had a really good 2nd half last year in Rochester.  But I think he'd trade the 2024 #1 and UPL.

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Well, the PLD trade included an extension as part of the deal.  I'm not sure there is a team that is willing and able to both pay a fat price in trade for Helle and to give him a big contract.  If that's true, his trade return will be significantly reduced.

Also, LA gave up a good young scoring center (who was still their #3C in ice time), a 29-year-old checking forward, their 9th-rated prospect (per the Athletic) and a 2024 2nd-round pick.  That's more like Krebs, Jost, Rousek and a 2025 2nd-rounder.

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

The PLD trade was only done with the premise of a contract extension. There would’ve been no haul without that. So, it comes down to which teams have room (or it even makes sense) for a $8/9M extension for a goalie. There’s not many teams that fit that description. The Sabres don’t. There may be some garbage teams. More teams become open to a trade if you eliminate the costly extension, but that means getting significantly less in return for his rental. I don’t think they’re gonna get what they think they’re gonna get. 

22 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, the PLD trade included an extension as part of the deal.  I'm not sure there is a team that is willing and able to both pay a fat price in trade for Helle and to give him a big contract.  If that's true, his trade return will be significantly reduced.

Took the words out of my mouth. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.