Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

2 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Do you all think its possible the Sabres LTIR Quinn and let him sit the year and we bring in a vet for 1 year to replace, given the nature of JQ's injury?

I doubt it. His cap hit is $863k, there's very little financial savings to put him on LTIR. Plus, you want him back during the regular season and getting back into his groove before the playoffs. Unlike with Stone, where you can give him his surgery in-season and know that the recovery timeline meshes nicely with him coming back rested and ready (and practicing for a month) come playoff time on a prove player; with Quinn you want him working off all the rust in March and April.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I think Yzerman is a good GM but is it just me or does this guy almost walk on water with the hockey media? Every move is great, perfect, great deals, great signings. No matter what he does. So far I give Yzerman a B- in DET. Maybe in 2-3 years the wave of their young players arrive but im not in love with some of their UFA signings.

Last year every move he made was called genius even though moves like Chabot were questionable. I think his drafting is questionable too. Danielson, Raymond, and Edvinsson were all over drafted but because Seider was a good pick no one questions him.  

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

I doubt it. His cap hit is $863k, there's very little financial savings to put him on LTIR. Plus, you want him back during the regular season and getting back into his groove before the playoffs. Unlike with Stone, where you can give him his surgery in-season and know that the recovery timeline meshes nicely with him coming back rested and ready (and practicing for a month) come playoff time on a prove player; with Quinn you want him working off all the rust in March and April.

Quinn will absolutely go on ltir but this isn't football. He can come back in season after being put on ltir.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Do you all think its possible the Sabres LTIR Quinn and let him sit the year and we bring in a vet for 1 year to replace, given the nature of JQ's injury?

This isn't the NFL. Ltir works differently. We'll see Quinn in February if not January. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

This isn't the NFL. Ltir works differently. We'll see Quinn in February if not January. 

Very true, I am thinking more of the lines of when I hear achilles, that can be very serious. In the back of my mind I wonder if Max Pacioretty rushed back from his (little different) and I didn't want Quinn to have a similar issue, especially since he has such a. bright future ahead of him.

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Last year every move he made was called genius even though moves like Chabot were questionable. I think his drafting is questionable too. Danielson, Raymond, and Edvinsson were all over drafted but because Seider was a good pick no one questions him.  

Quinn will absolutely go on ltir but this isn't football. He can come back in season after being put on ltir.

He won't be fully healthy and won't be in game shape its going to take longer then you think .

And they shouldn't rush it at all.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I think Yzerman is a good GM but is it just me or does this guy almost walk on water with the hockey media? Every move is great, perfect, great deals, great signings. No matter what he does. So far I give Yzerman a B- in DET. Maybe in 2-3 years the wave of their young players arrive but im not in love with some of their UFA signings.

10 picks in each of the last 2 drafts. That let's you at least swim over the water if not walk on it. Didn't have to tank to get them either. 

Just watch, if any of these guys don't work out great he will flip them for more draft picks down the line. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

So it's down to goalie and this was just day 1. 

Look, we all have opinions and that's cool. I do believe KA is trying to fill the needs within the parameters of FA reality. Keeping the costs low knowing other big deals for our young guys are coming up. Some other guys avaailable want to get paid or wish to play elseware. It's not all equal. They talk to agents and many players have a short list that the Sabres are not on. I thought this FA markert was very thin and was surprised they even got these 2 Vets. 

Trades take time with teams wishing to get more than deserved...initially. If that's the route for a Vet Goalie, it may take time. I get that. KA hoisted a cup in 2006 He can probably see the team as a whole has to play better D if they wish to do more than just make the playoffs. The roster has to understand that also and look beyond stats to improve. Many are very young and still have a realistic upside beyond the present which is very encouraging. Like the Bills, this team was dreadful and non-competitive for so long.  No one is settling for mediocrity but the improvement was so good last year.  

KA arrived to a bad situation with a rock bottom lost team and made trades that actaully returned value. So it's hard for me to crap on the guy when many in the NHL wanted nothing to do with us. He got the job which seemed thankless and is showing something. Will continue to monitor but right now he's AOK.

Just my 2  cents. 

Edited by Night Train
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You can come back in-season after being put on IR in the NFL now.

3 hours ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Hellebuyck is a pipe dream. 

1) He's a UFA after this year

2) He's going to command way to much AAV and Term when all we need is a guy to take some work from Levi as he developes. 

3) it flies totally in the face of everything KA has been doing.

He might not make the most sense, but he certainly makes more sense than doing nothing at the position and hoping for the best 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Maybe complaining is his form of enjoyment.

Exactly. Not the happiest unless you’re complaining. This isn’t a negative comment. This is actually something that happens. it’s just how they are built. I forgot what the medical jargon is… But it actually is a personality trait.

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Exactly. Not the happiest unless you’re complaining. This isn’t a negative comment. This is actually something that happens. it’s just how they are built. I forgot what the medical jargon is… But it actually is a personality trait.

I'm happy as a peach can't wait till winter  So I can spray  The walk way so no one can bother us 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I believe the technical term is ex-wifeism, but I'm not up on the latest medical findings.

This place would be boring without you. I think you come by it honestly.

You have to pretend you're doing something on the computer like bill's or stocks  So you're not stuck watching the view and  general hospital.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He might not make the most sense, but he certainly makes more sense than doing nothing at the position and hoping for the best 

We might think that, but it looks like Adams sees the situation differently.

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

So it's down to goalie and this was just day 1. 

Look, we all have opinions and that's cool. I do believe KA is trying to fill the needs within the parameters of FA reality. Keeping the costs low knowing other big deals for our young guys are coming up. Some other guys avaailable want to get paid or wish to play elseware. It's not all equal. They talk to agents and many players have a short list that the Sabres are not on. I thought this FA markert was very thin and was surprised they even got these 2 Vets. 

Trades take time with teams wishing to get more than deserved...initially. If that's the route for a Vet Goalie, it may take time. I get that. KA hoisted a cup in 2006 He can probably see the team as a whole has to play better D if they wish to do more than just make the playoffs. The roster has to understand that also and look beyond stats to improve. Many are very young and still have a realistic upside beyond the present which is very encouraging. Like the Bills, this team was dreadful and non-competitive for so long.  No one is settling for mediocrity but the improvement was so good last year.  

KA arrived to a bad situation with a rock bottom lost team and made trades that actaully returned value. So it's hard for me to crap on the guy when many in the NHL wanted nothing to do with us. He got the job which seemed thankless and is showing something. Will continue to monitor but right now he's AOK.

Just my 2  cents. 

Well said. We still need a vet goalie for sure, imo. And it may take time. But we have a lot of time before the season begins. I’m pretty content with the D we signed today. And love this team as well as the youth in the pipeline. 

Adams has been great so far. Think about where this team was four years ago. Between 2012 & 2021. Today there is a lot of hope. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Well said. We still need a vet goalie for sure, imo. And it may take time. But we have a lot of time before the season begins. I’m pretty content with the D we signed today. And love this team as well as the youth in the pipeline. 

Adams has been great so far. Think about where this team was four years ago. Between 2012 & 2021. Today there is a lot of hope. 

I'd like faster improvement but I get it long term is a youth movement with steady talent infusement every year is the way to be competitive long term... just been so long and patience is not one of my virtues... sigh I hear you nill and while I no longer carry your angst I can still vicariously smile thru your posts

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.