Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I would have loved a guy like McCleod.  Instead we get Jost. 👎🏻

I'm ok with Jost.  He works with this team and coach.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why do I feel Jarry is our next goalie?

Please no.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Generally face offs are overrated but I think it’s logical to assume that winning them is better, and at least being close to 50% is desirable 

What about when the team is behind by one, and desperately needs a faceoff win…or winning a faceoff and clearing the puck on the PK?

Not overrated at all IMO. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Generally face offs are overrated but I think it’s logical to assume that winning them is better, and at least being close to 50% is desirable 

The bulk of the stat includes faceoffs that have little more importance than a standard board battle. But it's good to be good at board battles. But a lot of times it's also more than just the centers fault a faceoff is lost. 

The Sabres main problem is that they're worst in the league at them, and that when you take a subset of crucially important faceoffs, special teams and end game stuff, the gap between then and everyone else seems to get larger

• Like (+1) 2

So Clifton plays in the 2nd pairing ? 18-20 min a game Johnson in the 3rd pairing 17 min a game. Trying to help our top 3 from burning out.

Vet leadership/stability.. I have no issues with either and don't give a damn about the $$. My checking account still balances. 

Edited by Night Train
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

KA is definitely playing moneypuck.  His last 6 signings and trades are all 1-3 deals and are real attempts at value.  Comrie was a 2 year signing with little downside, but huge upside.  Lyubushkin was a 2 year deal of a physical player at a reasonable salary.  Stillman is a player KA was familiar with who had a cheap contract with term who was easily dumped if he doesn’t work out. Greenway is DG’s guys and could be a huge value acquisition if DG coaches him up.  Johnson is a 1 year deal of a leader with a Cup who is connected to DG.  Clifton is the real moneypuck deal.  He is a guy people think can handle top 4 minutes.  If it works you get a top 4 D for only $3 mill a year. If it doesn’t you know you have a solid 3rd pairing D for still a reasonable figure and KA gets another shot at filling the 4 at deadline or next off-season.

2023/24

Dahlin Samuelson

Power Clifton

E Johnson/Joki Lyubushkin

2024/25 (if Clifton doesn’t thrive as the 4)

Dahlin Samuelsson

Power ????

R Johnson Clifton

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.