[GDT] 2023 NHL Draft, 7PM ET, ESPN

#freejame

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Everyone knows if you say "pretty please" they have to trade with you.

I don't think anyone was willing to move their 1st rdr's tonight for various reasons such as early to mid rd projected talent sliding and mid to later rd teams appeared to finally be wising up to restocking the cupboard and develop from within. Then there may have been gm's that are learning cost control down the road affords some flexibility. At least, that's some of my hunches on it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Kind of like last year....he tried to move up the 3rd 1st rounder to take Kulich but was unsuccessful.  Fortunately he was still there when they picked anyway.  This does make me wonder though if GMKA needs to up his game  though to get what he wants.  If you want something bad enough, you have to be willing to pay enough to get it.

9 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Kind of like last year....he tried to move up the 3rd 1st rounder to take Kulich but was unsuccessful.  Fortunately he was still there when they picked anyway.  This does make me wonder though if GMKA needs to up his game  though to get what he wants.  If you want something bad enough, you have to be willing to pay enough to get it.

You mean give away the farm?

14 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Then apparently every GM needs to up their game - 0 trades tonight.  Any other comments?

33 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Add it to the Everything Kevyn Adams Has Tried to Get Done thread!

26 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Considering there were no deals today at all, can’t really blame him.

• Like (+1) 1

We going to see a lot of angst tomorrow if the Sabres don’t grab a defenceman with one of their next 2 picks?

The way the board has fallen there’s a decent chance there won’t be any “good value” D left while forwards have dropped.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We going to see a lot of angst tomorrow if the Sabres don’t grab a defenceman with one of their next 2 picks?

The way the board has fallen there’s a decent chance there won’t be any “good value” D left while forwards have dropped.

Maxim Strbak is going to play at Michigan State for Nightengale’s Brother next year, I have a hunch he is the pick at 39

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Guys with a what, 25% shot of making the NHL, several years down the line? I don’t think it matters at all, if it wasn’t going to be a first round D selection. We need to address RHD immediately, let alone before these draft picks would potentially hit (you know this obv just putting it out there). Provided the RHD addition is sustainable, being so young the top 4 is set for a while, so we kinda have a long time to replenish the pool, so I’m not sure it being 2nd rounders tomorrow is necessary. It’s more of a unique case cause Dahlin Power Samuelsson are so young. Gives us time. 

I’m sure a few come up purely by BPA over the next couple rounds 

Edited by Thorny

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'm not Interested in stocking the D with 25% chance at nhl roster 2 or more years out, and in most D-men's case 4+ or so, if we can flip those draft picks tomorrow in a deal for a 3/4 RHD partner for Power, including both 2nd's, I say "Go Flight".

Adam's can always circle back to D for the pipeline next draft. For as much as some fans point out the here and now, we're ready, is what accounts, I happen to agree with them. 

Adams has stocked up the forward pipeline, the roster players have grown beyond just developing phase. They are coming in to their own now, it's time to put the final pieces in to place and start our ascent to the playoffs and cup contention......imho.

Edited by Scottysabres

43 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Maxim Strbak is going to play at Michigan State for Nightengale’s Brother next year, I have a hunch he is the pick at 39

He’s the guy I zeroed in on, I’m not confident he’s there.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a move up.

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Guys with a what, 25% shot of making the NHL, several years down the line? I don’t think it matters at all, if it wasn’t going to be a first round D selection. We need to address RHD immediately, let alone before these draft picks would potentially hit (you know this obv just putting it out there). Provided the RHD addition is sustainable, being so young the top 4 is set for a while, so we kinda have a long time to replenish the pool, so I’m not sure it being 2nd rounders tomorrow is necessary. It’s more of a unique case cause Dahlin Power Samuelsson are so young. Gives us time. 

I’m sure a few come up purely by BPA over the next couple rounds 

Probably the healthiest way of looking at it.

Edited by dudacek

Why are some teams bad?  Well just looking at the 1st rd results and it's clear again why the Yotes are bad.  Two lay-up picks and they reached for both.  I like both players, but to take But over Honzek and Wood is simply stupid.  Simashev is a solid player, but isn't close to the 6th best player in this draft.  I'd argue that he isn't in the top 3 of D in this draft.

Also what the heck is Toronto thinking?  Talk about a reach.  Cowan is a late 2nd rd player at best.  G-d I love to watch Toronto implode. 

I think the consensus board did alright this year.  The top 21 players on the consensus board were all taken in the first 26 picks.  Of the top 28 (the only 28 with an average 1st rd grade), 25 went in the 1st rd. The 3 guys with 1st rd average grades that didn't get drafted were guys whose stock seemed to fall over the last few months in Cristall (22), Brindley (23), Heidt (28).  My guess is all 3 go early tomorrow.

Guys 29-32 on the consensus board actually had an average ranking of 35 to 38.  Of this group only Nadeau (30) and Edstrom (32) got drafted in the first, with Edstrom receiving much more hype in recent weeks.

I'm disappointed Lindstein and Bonk are already gone, but not overly surprised either.  McKenzie had Lindstein at 26 and Bonk at 28.  

Overall I'm happy with Benson, although it maybe time to trade a young forward or two to bolster the D.

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Lou doesn't seem to care. Kinda refreshing to not see prospect fetishism. I know, I know... Obv. we'd rather be KA and the Sabres. Duh.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/28/islanders-lack-of-picks-nothing-new-during-lou-lamoriellos-tenure/

He just spent a 2nd round pick to dump a roster player for nothing because he needs 1 year of cap relief 

Now that's a situation I want my decrepit GM guiding my team through

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was re-thinking a little on AZ’s draft strategy.  I still think they crapped the bed, but I wonder if oart of their strategy was to take players 2-3 years out in order to make an impact when they settle in a new building is AZ or elsewhere.  Still not a reason to over draft Simashev and But, but I have to wonder if they played into their thinking.

It reminds me a little of the Atlanta Braves “tanking” their last few years at Turner Field before moving to the new stadium near my office.  They loaded up on young talent in the farm system and then once they moved that talent blossomed and the Braves have been to great the last 6 years with 5 Division titles, one WS win and the current best record in the NL.

On 6/29/2023 at 9:14 AM, PASabreFan said:

Lou doesn't seem to care. Kinda refreshing to not see prospect fetishism. I know, I know... Obv. we'd rather be KA and the Sabres. Duh.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/28/islanders-lack-of-picks-nothing-new-during-lou-lamoriellos-tenure/

What's a team with no future and no direction and depreciated talent and bad cap space

The Lou Islanders. A team that is going no where fast. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What's a team with no future and no direction and depreciated talent and bad cap space

The Lou Islanders. A team that is going no where fast. 

Wanna bet. Someone call Eleven. He's clam digging and might need a hot sec to get to his phone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.