2023 NHL Summer Trade Thread

Brawndo

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

The GM is not demanding a "hometown" discount from the players. That's not an accurate depiction of the contract signings from much of the core. The players who have signed agreed to get their contracts reworked sooner and are willing to take less for immediate guaranteed money that is more than their current contract. Dahlin took a different approach than some of his teammates. He took a bridge deal rather than sign an extended contract. The player and his agent calculated that waiting longer to sign a longer term deal will prove to be more financially beneficial as the market-rate for players of his caliber increases. When Eichel was here he got a long-term extension. If he would have waited and become the player that he is now, he would actually be paid more now. The GM was willing to give an extension to Samuelsson sooner rather than later because the organization felt that in the not-too-distant future he would project to be a higher cost player if it signed him at a later time. Both sides in the bargaining setting make their own calculations for what is best for their own respective needs. 

100%. The players could have gone for “prove it” deals instead. Adams getting Tage to a deal that only after a period of time passes looks like an incredible steal doesn’t retroactively make it a hometown discount. The deal was fair by the parameters of the moment. It turns only turns into a great signing because of what happened after. If DAHLIN signed for 8, THAT would be a discount. But signing as a fully fledged star, that won’t happen 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Certainly not prior to last year, but I think that’s changing and hopefully that trend continues.

My bellwether has been the Florida teams. I think that we have been an absolute joke to Florida and Tampa. They used to just coast, then would turn up the skill wise or the nasty and embarrass us. Hated playing them because of it.

That stopped this year. They tried, but we pushed right back. The games were tight and the wins had to be earned.

We may not have many players who physically scare the ***** out of you, but the number of players who you would describe as soft and and/or small has dropped considerably:

Bjork, Hinostroza, Reinhart, Bryson, Clague, Hall, Asplund, Ruotsalainen, Olofsson, Pysyk, and Butcher are gone, or on their way out the door.

Thompson, Mittelstadt, and Dahlin became men. Cozens and Krebs are following in their footsteps.

We’ve added Samuelsson, Power, Stillman, Clifton, Johnson, Greenway and Tuch.

We’ve got our fair share of players who are huge and talented and hard to defend. We’ve got our fair share who are fast and competitive and are always pushing. What we don’t have are many players who are afraid. Not anymore.

I think there’s been more of a transformation than you recognize.

We aren’t a physical team but we aren’t a team of wallflowers anymore.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

“Sabres and Flames talks… 

Continuing to hear more and more names…These two teams are “heavily involving in MAJOR trade talks.” The Sabres have even discussed what it would take to get Lindholm.  
Source: Eklund”

MAJOR trade talks people MAJOR😛

E5? 🤣 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

To the bolded, to an extent that's correct, but you can play big (Nolan's '95-'96 team played very big, not too much of a stretch to say that was the toughest Sabres team ever assembled) and still not play well (3rd worst in their conference; 7th worst overall).  That '96-'97 was smaller but still played hard and was more skilled than the previous year's version and actually won its division.

IMHO it doesn't matter how big you play if you have no skill.  The trick is to find guys that can do both - play big and skilled and fill in the pieces around them with primarily skilled guys that don't play with fear.  You can be small and tenatious and as long as you don't play with fear you can be part of the answer for putting teams like the Bruins back on their heels.

This is the key. It’s useful to have some size scattered on the roster and big strong defenders or forwards have a role to play in games. 

What is crucial to winning and going deep in the playoffs is not size but the tenacity and intensity with which a team plays (along with talent, of course, and goaltending). Size is less significant (see Marchand) but having a couple of big, powerful players who can play (Chara, Hedman) can really benefit a team. Hoping Power can become that player.

That tenacious dog is something that was missing a couple of years ago and though improved, you could still see wane during the ebb and flow of the season last year. We just had stretches of malaise. As the young players mature and hopefully get stronger and more physical - this intensity will come. When they get there it should be a very good team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

This is the key. It’s useful to have some size scattered on the roster and big strong defenders or forwards have a role to play in games. 

What is crucial to winning and going deep in the playoffs is not size but the tenacity and intensity with which a team plays (along with talent, of course, and goaltending). Size is less significant (see Marchand) but having a couple of big, powerful players who can play (Chara, Hedman) can really benefit a team. Hoping Power can become that player.

That tenacious dog is something that was missing a couple of years ago and though improved, you could still see wane during the ebb and flow of the season last year. We just had stretches of malaise. As the young players mature and hopefully get stronger and more physical - this intensity will come. When they get there it should be a very good team. 

When you are discussing size you also have to differentiate by position. 

In today's NHL you don't necessarily need huge tough guys (although balancing an arms race can come in handy at times) but big D really helps. You need guys with REACH more than big heaviness. It's all about shot blocking and cutting off passing lanes. You don't get to cross check forwards into oblivion Larry Playfair style any more. You need guys strong enough to lift sticks and be immobile objects, but most of all it's about REACH, and that's why eventually Power will be a D stud. 

With the cap you can't have 12 stars, it's impossible, so you have to decide how to build the bottom end and imo that's where you need more size because Florida also showed us once again that heavy and tenacious forecheck can defeat higher skill in the playoffs and I want to be that team, and not the one that gets defeated (like the Leafs). 

Also helps to have a big goalie, but we will see if Levi can disprove that. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/12/2023 at 4:48 PM, PerreaultForever said:

In today's NHL you don't necessarily need huge tough guys (although balancing an arms race can come in handy at times) but big D really helps. You need guys with REACH more than big heaviness. It's all about shot blocking and cutting off passing lanes. You don't get to cross check forwards into oblivion Larry Playfair style any more. You need guys strong enough to lift sticks and be immobile objects, but most of all it's about REACH, and that's why eventually Power will be a D stud. 

With the cap you can't have 12 stars, it's impossible, so you have to decide how to build the bottom end and imo that's where you need more size because Florida also showed us once again that heavy and tenacious forecheck can defeat higher skill in the playoffs and I want to be that team, and not the one that gets defeated (like the Leafs). 

Agree on D and reach and the ability to take up space and steer attackers away (Victor Hedman is the quintessential example imo). And that reach can help with forwards also. 

Yes, a strong forecheck is part of what I was getting at. But even smaller guys like Benson can excel at that. 

Im okay with some young talent of which we have a ton - regardless of size - entering and playing for a couple of years in the bottom six. Perhaps then using as trade value. But my main thing is tenacity and toughness (mental and physical - Obviously, in general all our guys are tough. But the toughness that can win in the playoffs is another level). 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/12/2023 at 5:48 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Hill 6'6"

Keumper 6'5"

Grubauer 6'1"

Vasilevskiy 6'4"

Binnington 6'2"

Murray 6'5"

MAF 6'2"

Crawford 6'2"

Quick 6'1"

Idk, I guess there is some size in the winner but there is also a bunch of guys at or an inch above Levi's height. I am not sure if there is a good correlation between cup winners and goalie size. I'm not sure there is anything to disprove. 

If we go Vezina: Price is 6'3", Holtby is 6'2", Bobrovsky 6'2", Rinne 6'5", Vasilevskiy 6'4", Hellebuyck 6'4", Fluery 6'2", Shesterkin 6'1", and Ullmark 6'4"

Idk again if height is really as much as an advantage as we think, I think good goalies are just good. 6'2"-6'3" seems to be the sweet spot if we average this out but again, I don't think having a big goalie is a true advantage as much as a perceived one. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think goaltending is in a period of transition.

NHL coaches have learned how to beat the monster shot-blocker and are attacking in a way best snuffed by an athletic save-maker.

These things are never one-size-fits-all, but I think Levi represents where the game is going.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Hanifin to Sabres (e3) Hearing the Flames could move Hanifin to Buffalo "as soon as this weekend." So far I have been unable the return. 😛

I’ll say this about Eklund. He posts about a rumour once then moves on like it never existed. He has posted about Buffalo-Calgary 3 or 4 times now so someone he trusts keeps feeding him this.

Hanifin-Dahlin

Power-Clifton

Muel-E Johnson

would be a complete makeover.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Hanifin to Sabres (e3) Hearing the Flames could move Hanifin to Buffalo "as soon as this weekend." So far I have been unable the return. 😛

I’ll say this about Eklund. He posts about a rumour once then moves on like it never existed. He has posted about Buffalo-Calgary 3 or 4 times now so someone he trusts keeps feeding him this.

Hanifin-Dahlin

Power-Clifton

Muel-E Johnson

Soooo......the fake Bob McKenzie account worked......

images (12).jpeg

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Hanifin-Dahlin

Power-Clifton

Muel-E Johnson

His dog 

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Hanifin-Dahlin

Power-Clifton

Muel-E Johnson

Am I alone in that I don’t think the Sabres change up from the Samuelsson and Dahlin pairing.?

I see Hanifan  being pair 3 with Johnson and or Lyubushkin.    However playing more than a typical bottom pair.   IF the Sabres happen to land him 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.