Goaltending will be fine: Devon Levi edition

LGR4GM

Just now, Taro T said:

You're 3 days shy of the draft and already going to get sick because Adams made no moves?  Did GA swipe your login creds?😉

Oh I completely expect a good goalie to be added to this roster. I’m just responding to the scenario mentioned above. They have to and they know it. 

17 minutes ago, shrader said:

Oh I completely expect a good goalie to be added to this roster. I’m just responding to the scenario mentioned above. They have to and they know it. 

I’m not so certain. I think Comrie can be decent. I also think UPL has upside that another team will covet. 

• Like (+1) 1

if we don't trade him, UPL will turn into a valuable asset for us, IMO.

If we trade him, he will turn into a valuable asset for some team. Hopefully Levi will make it so we don't care.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

So in that scenario where no veteran is brought in, whether or not UPL/Comrie is traded, Subban would be the most experienced goalie in the system. I’m about to become violently I’ll. 

Take a few shots from a medium-priced whiskey bottle. Sipping is not allowed. Very unmanly. With no hesitation shoot it down. It will give you glow and make you feel better. Trust me, this is very medicinal. 🍷

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/23/2023 at 3:40 PM, Buffalonill said:

Just need a vet goalie for 1m -3m for 2 years 

I'd like that as well. UPL I have not given up on but I'd like an Anderson type vet.

Edited by Radar

On 6/25/2023 at 11:45 PM, GoPuckYourself said:

1 injury to Levi and the season goes right down the tubes, imo and upgrade should be made and there is no excuse not to. There will be options available, to rely on a young goalie is bad business no matter how talented he is. 

Oh no! The sky is falling! Well maybe it's falling! Things can happen, that could possibly, maybe make the sky fall! And there will never be goalies available again!

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Doesn’t mean he is ready to be a #1 and lead this team to the playoffs. 

He may be ready or not. Of course, there are no guarantees. If he is our best goalie, he will be our #1 goalie. I doubt that he or Comrie or UPL will be workhorse goalies. Regardless, who are our goalies, the best way to put our goalies in position to succeed is to improve the blueline unit and have our lines play a better two-way game. At the end of the season against good teams, the team demonstrated that it could play better team defense. And it was reflected in its record while competing for a playoff spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

There was an article in The Athletic recently about the goalie market, team needs, etc. Below is an excerpt that caught my attention because I have believed since the past season this applies to the Sabres' situation.

There are big names that will be available on the trade market and some high-leverage decisions that could make or break contenders’ playoff chances next season. Surrounding those big storylines is the question of whether teams’ game theory for addressing goaltending needs could evolve with the way Vegas won its Cup, which has shined a spotlight on how much a team’s defensive play can influence a goalie’s success or failure.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/25/2023 at 7:42 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

If your UPL, what are your thoughts on bringing Levi into the goaltending mix?

Play as best as you can in hopes to be traded to another team or leave via UFA like Ullmark did. I like UPL yet he's inconsistent to say the least. I'd definitely look for a better option in UFA. 

I think it's more important to solidify the defence. The three goalies we have, though not perfect could get the job done, especially if the defence is shored up. If Levi is what we think he is and UPL continues to improve,with Comrie being there in case of injury, should be fine and don't have to surrender assets. 

The last two Cup winners didn't really have great goal tending, did they? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I think it's more important to solidify the defence. The three goalies we have, though not perfect could get the job done, especially if the defence is shored up. If Levi is what we think he is and UPL continues to improve,with Comrie being there in case of injury, should be fine and don't have to surrender assets. 

The last two Cup winners didn't really have great goal tending, did they? 

Hill had more games played than Comrie, UPL and Levi put together.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.