According to Pierre Lebrun, Sabres have interest in Brett Pesce.

inkman

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What about a scoring winger, pick 45 with 50% retention on the mentioned scoring winger?

I always perceived Carolina as rather shrewd - 50% retained, Joker and a conditional 2nd in 2024 (becoming a 1st if he signs). Really can't see them moving him without getting a cost controlled D in return. If I am KA, I can only do that if I think Stillman or Johnson are ready/able to play 15 minutes a night. 

2 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Negotiating tactic on the part of the Canes? Take our offer or we're trading you to the Sabres? (Granted, not as impactful as it would have been a couple years ago).

It sounds like they will be getting DeAngelo back on July 9th. Their RHD would contain 4 NHLers (Burns, Pesce, Chatfield, DeAngelo) so I think they are preparing to move Pesce.

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don’t want Pesce, Hanifan, or any other 1 year rental unless they are signing an extension. 

Agreed. Are you willing to go 5 and $6.5 per for him? Is he worth it especially considering you’re probably giving up a 2024 1st for him. I wouldn’t and I don’t think KA will either. Just sign gudas as a UFA, 3 years $5 per, maybe $6

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

Agreed. Are you willing to go 5 and $6.5 per for him? Is he worth it especially considering you’re probably giving up a 2024 1st for him. I wouldn’t and I don’t think KA will either. Just sign gudas as a UFA, 3 years $5 per, maybe $6

Except Pesce is a legit Top 4 guy on a playoff team but Gudas is a solid bottom pairing guy. Need to get a partner for Power. 

Also, Gudas is a real cheap POS in my opinion.  But if we got Pesce AND Gudas, I guess I'd be good with that as he'd be OUR bottom pairing, cheap POS.  (Assuming Joki goes back to Carolina in that trade) 

• 1 month later...

I don't see a Pesce deal happening for Buffalo. Based on how he has operated since he took over as a GM, I don't see KA giving up assets for a one-year rental. Another factor is that he has a couple of credible prospects in the system (most notably Ryan Johnson) who are not that far away from moving up the ranks. This deal for this player is very unlikely to happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

The Hurricanes don't have an AHL team?  How can you run an NHL club without an AHL affiliate?

And... there is no *new* mention of the Sabres; only a reference to rumors from July.

They were previously affiliated with the Chicago Wolves, perhaps they’re trying to renegotiate. Or they could share an affiliation with another team. The Sabres once shared the Amerks with Florida.

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The Hurricanes don't have an AHL team?  How can you run an NHL club without an AHL affiliate?

And... there is no *new* mention of the Sabres; only a reference to rumors from July.

Remember when we lost Rochester for a little while partially due to an owner who didn’t want to spend any money towards the minor league team? I’d imagine it’s something like that. 

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Remember when we lost Rochester for a little while partially due to an owner who didn’t want to spend any money towards the minor league team? I’d imagine it’s something like that. 

Yeah but they then went to the Portland Pirates.  They still had an AHL affiliate.

21 hours ago, shrader said:

And Carolina will have one by the time the season rolls around, I’m sure. There are 32 so someone has to be free. 

They’re going to have to go to 33 in the A since the Chicago Wolves wanted to go indy. The Wolves dropped the Canes. 
There are a lot of ECHL cities worthy of an AHL team, (Cincy & SLC come to mind quickly). But there’s probably not enough time to get a team ready for this season. The Canes have good young talent; they should not have trouble finding a dual-affiliate. 

On 8/18/2023 at 9:05 PM, Happy Days said:

Carolina uses the Chicago Wolves of the AHL.

USED the Wolves of the AHL for the past 3 years.  But Chicago didn't renew the affiliation agreement.  Don't know nor care enough about the Canes to find out where they'll be sending their prospects this year.  Hades works just fine.

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

USED the Wolves of the AHL for the past 3 years.  But Chicago didn't renew the affiliation agreement.  Don't know nor care enough about the Canes to find out where they'll be sending their prospects this year.  Hades works just fine.

I’d love to know what failed with Charlotte since that one makes so much sense for them. But then again, it has to be a bit strange being the farm club for another market in the state that is actually smaller than yours. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.