After the Whistle… Rivet and Peters

Long time lurker

Today is the first day for me where Rivet and Peters podcast is littered with commercials. Not sure if others have found this to be case as well.. I appreciate that they (or someone) wants to monetize their efforts, but they will do so without me. Accessed the podcast the way I always have but all of a sudden, commercials at the beginning and during so, bye-bye. Wish them luck.

1 hour ago, Long time lurker said:

Today is the first day for me where Rivet and Peters podcast is littered with commercials. Not sure if others have found this to be case as well.. I appreciate that they (or someone) wants to monetize their efforts, but they will do so without me. Accessed the podcast the way I always have but all of a sudden, commercials at the beginning and during so, bye-bye. Wish them luck.

Sooooo, you don't appreciate their efforts to monetize their efforts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Long time lurker said:

Welcome to the board!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Do you subscribe to a service that pays them?

I have gotten access to their podcast till today with no commercials at podcasts.apple.com.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Sooooo, you don't appreciate their efforts to monetize their efforts.

I think it is fine that they are doing so, it just won't be at the expense of my time and increased annoyance.

Their pod was unlistenable long before commercials were added. Between Andrew's laughably bad takes, Craig's penchant for speaking slowly while repeating himself, and JR's butthurt white man's politics, I stopped listening long ago.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Haven’t listened to them since Jeremy Roenick suggested that the COVID vaccine caused Demar Hamlin’s cardiac arrest and Rivet saw fit to legitimize the idea. You couldn’t pay me to listen to them now.

I think that was my last episode too.

A much better option, although it's in summer hiatus, is Maintenance Day with Joe Yerdon and Lance Lysowski. Also on Apple.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Their pod was unlistenable long before commercials were added. Between Andrew's laughably bad takes, Craig's penchant for speaking slowly while repeating himself, and JR's butthurt white man's politics, I stopped listening long ago.

A much better option, although it's in summer hiatus, is Maintenance Day with Joe Yerdon and Lance Lysowski. Also on Apple.

This sounds like a refreshing break from what i unceasingly endure every day, I might have to check them out

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This sounds like a refreshing break from what i unceasingly endure every day, I might have to check them out

Sadly they only do it weekly, usually on Mondays, once the season starts. But they have a pre-draft episode out now.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/maintenance-day/id1601283889

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I rarely listen to the episodes with Roenick.  I listen to most of the others.  Peters and Rivet alone are pretty hit or miss.  When they have Gio or Vanek as a guest, it’s usually pretty good.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Haven’t listened to them since Jeremy Roenick suggested that the COVID vaccine caused Demar Hamlin’s cardiac arrest and Rivet saw fit to legitimize the idea. You couldn’t pay me to listen to them now.

Rivet was always an anti-vaxxer.  I know there are some on this forum that don't mind that, but I do.  And having Roenick on regularly was another I stopped listening.

• Like (+1) 1

Hasn't heard these 2 in a long while now. Forgot they were still a thing on some platform. Not that I dislike their points of view, but I was hoping wgr could get a daily hockey related broadcast team on the air that spent more time talking about hockey and less about their comfort zone of tighty whitey's or their golf game.

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Hasn't heard these 2 in a long while now. Forgot they were still a thing on some platform. Not that I dislike their points of view, but I was hoping wgr could get a daily hockey related broadcast team on the air that spent more time talking about hockey and less about their comfort zone of tighty whitey's or their golf game.

Petey & Riv have a hard time staying on-topic too. In fact the most hilarious thing they do is bring up an interesting topic, get distracted, and forget to go back to that topic. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/14/2023 at 8:47 PM, Curt said:

I rarely listen to the episodes with Roenick.  I listen to most of the others.  Peters and Rivet alone are pretty hit or miss.  When they have Gio or Vanek as a guest, it’s usually pretty good.

I can appreciate that. Gio and Vanek were must listen guests. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I haven't listened in months. But I know they are capable of good shows, especially when they interview players....JR being the exception.

I skip the episodes featuring JR for obvious reasons.  Guy is awful.

The one episode that I really enjoyed was the Scotty Bowman interview.  Scotty is still super tuned into the NHL and had some really interesting things to say.  I don't know when the exact date that the episode aired was.. but it's definitely worth a listen.  He had a really interesting take about Devon Levi and seemed to be really familiar with Levi's career to date.  I was, honestly, taken aback regarding how much he seemed to know about the situation and the insight he had about Levi

32 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So what's his impression of Levi?  The real deal, or a real risk?

After hearing him talk, I came away thinking that a goalie styled like Levi might actually be an ideal goalie for the Sabres.  With the Sabres playing so open and having a lot of transition into and out of the zone, it allows goalies quicker smaller goalie to have more success.  Whereas when you slow things down, he can be screened easier and will have a harder time because of his size seeing the puck/shots.  

I listen to After the Whistle all the time when I work out. I think it's perhaps the best hockey podcast out there because you're getting real players and coaches talking candidly about the game and they have a Sabres bias. The Tim Connolly episodes were awesome, especially when Vanek joined them. They put into context a lot of what was going on during the 2006-2011 period.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.