Flyers working on a Carter Hart Trade

Brawndo

Even contemplating these goalie adds is getting me excited for next season. I really think if we can manage to add a bonafide, capable veteran to split w/ Levi that we’ll be likely looking at finally breaking this everlasting drought. I’m nervous and curious about it but I think it’s going to be an incredible experience

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Lance “Chad” Lysowski has been skirting by for far too long 

Chad at least has e rod trade and a couple other things that nobody else was saying. Lance takes the most cautious middle ground position on topics that others have already been talking about, but hints that he knows a guy who thinks so too

46 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Even contemplating these goalie adds is getting me excited for next season. I really think if we can manage to add a bonafide, capable veteran to split w/ Levi that we’ll be likely looking at finally breaking this everlasting drought. I’m nervous and curious about it but I think it’s going to be an incredible experience

I have grown up since the drought began, it is exciting to have no idea what the playoffs will feel like now that I'm basically a different person compared to the last time. Will be special to share with my sister.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Chad at least has e rod trade and a couple other things that nobody else was saying. Lance takes the most cautious middle ground position on topics that others have already been talking about, but hints that he knows a guy who thinks so too

I have grown up since the drought began, it is exciting to have no idea what the playoffs will feel like now that I'm basically a different person compared to the last time. Will be special to share with my sister.

Ya I agree Chad knows his stuff 

I mean, if that’s truly his real name 

Agree on the other thing, a third of my life has passed since 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Within this WGR link is an 18 minute segment with Marty Biron talking about the Sabre goaltending and the possible trade market. There are a number of options which include staying pat. My impression is that Marty isn't that enamored with Hart. At the end of the discussion Marty indicates he's more supportive of Comrie than UPL as a backup option.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

Enjoyed his use of chaos goalies versus structure goalies since it makes a lot of sense. Some goalies thrive in structure but suffer in chaos while other play well in structure but are better remembered for their play in chaos. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Enjoyed his use of chaos goalies versus structure goalies since it makes a lot of sense. Some goalies thrive in structure but suffer in chaos while other play well in structure but are better remembered for their play in chaos. 

No matter whether a goalie's style of play is structured or more chaotic the goalie will benefit from better team defensive play. What's encouraging is that over the last 15-18 games the Sabres played a tighter game that resulted in an impressive run. Will the GM add another goalie to the mix? I don't know. Whether he does or does not, he still needs to upgrade the blueline unit. Considering what our cap situation is and the accumulation of assets the organization is in a good position to address that area of need. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

No matter whether a goalie's style of play is structured or more chaotic the goalie will benefit from better team defensive play. What's encouraging is that over the last 15-18 games the Sabres played a tighter game that resulted in an impressive run. Will the GM add another goalie to the mix? I don't know. Whether he does or does not, he still needs to upgrade the blueline unit. Considering what our cap situation is and the accumulation of assets the organization is in a good position to address that area of need. 

To a degree, yes.  Still there are some goalies that are really good fits for bad teams - they can steal a game or 5 but they don't necessarily elevate their play when they're playing for a good team.  Whether that be because they need to be "into" the action to get into their groove or they can't handle the pressure of not consistently seeing shots and then facing high danger shots because there had to be a breakdown for them to see any shots.  Denis Herron being the poster boy from the past for that.  Not coming up with a modern day equivalent ottomh, though there has to be some that fit that same bill.

16 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I haven’t read every post in this thread, but my sense is that in general people would take Hart if the price was low. The price you suggest is not getting Hart. The price you suggest is next to nothing. If we can get Hart for next to nothing then I am fine with acquiring him. The cost will be a lot higher than what you suggest though. 

Probably. Price of goalies is often quite low though and if Ullmark is on the block and Hellybuck is on the block the price(s) might come down. Briere's looking smarter so maybe it's only Murray that gives goalies away for nothing to tank 🙂

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

To a degree, yes.  Still there are some goalies that are really good fits for bad teams - they can steal a game or 5 but they don't necessarily elevate their play when they're playing for a good team.  Whether that be because they need to be "into" the action to get into their groove or they can't handle the pressure of not consistently seeing shots and then facing high danger shots because there had to be a breakdown for them to see any shots.  Denis Herron being the poster boy from the past for that.  Not coming up with a modern day equivalent ottomh, though there has to be some that fit that same bill.

Hasek may be a good example of what you are saying about a certain type of goalie being able to thrive even on a bad team. Marty Biron described it as goalies who are comfortable in chaotic situations compared to structured situations. 

My general point in my prior post is that with an upgraded blue line unit and a greater attention to defensive responsibilities the play of our netminders should be better, regardless of who is in net. As @LGR4GMhas pointed out on a couple of occasions the team demonstrated its ability to play a tighter style of game in the end of the season playoff run. 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hasek may be a good example of what you are saying about a certain type of goalie being able to thrive even on a bad team. Marty Biron described it as goalies who are comfortable in chaotic situations compared to structured situations. 

My general point in my prior post is that with an upgraded blue line unit and a greater attention to defensive responsibilities the play of our netminders should be better, regardless of who is in net. As @LGR4GMhas pointed out on a couple of occasions the team demonstrated its ability to play a tighter style of game in the end of the season playoff run. 

No he isn't.  Because Hasek not only thrived on bad teams but very good teams as well.  Herron was very good in doomed efforts for the Scouts and Pens.  He pretty much single handedly got Montreal knocked out of the playoffs by Minnesota in '80.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No he isn't.  Because Hasek not only thrived on bad teams but very good teams as well.  Herron was very good in doomed efforts for the Scouts and Pens.  He pretty much single handedly got Montreal knocked out of the playoffs by Minnesota in '80.

Curtis Joseph.

I seem to recall he thrived in high chance environments.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Potvin might fit as well.  (Speaking of the Dog, brought up memories of the Cat.)  But not sure that he ever played for any good teams.

Actually, a great example of a goalie that thrived in chaos was probably ex Sabre Grant Fuhr.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Flyers also possibly trading Scott Laughton.  Gritty 3C??? Hart and Laughton for ???

They have turned down late first round picks for Laughton alone nearing the TDL last year. 

13 OA plus would be the minimum and probably very worth it 

34 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Not all that interested in Laughton at this point; we have more pressing matters than a 4C

He also plays LW and has better offensive skills than Zemgus. Imagine putting a finisher on the same line as Krebs, historically a playmaker and Okposo. 

Besides that, Hart would be the biggest part of the return. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.