GDT: Sabres at Toronto 3-13-2023 7:30 start MSG

spndnchz

Some quick thoughts on this game:

My first star goes to Anderson. My second star goes to Tuch. If anyone wants to reverse the order I'm fine with it. 

The biggest surprise in this game is that Tuch was able to get back to his energetic and tough play even after a long injury layoff. His presence is felt by the rest of the roster. When he is playing this team is confident. 

Beyond the scoring our first line played a tough battling game. The Thompson and Skinner passes to Tuch for scores were nifty. Skinner has turned out to be one of our best passers. 

Cozens showed persistence on his goal. His young wingers are playing with confidence. Peterka is showing why the coach stuck with him even when he seemed to be in the doldrums.

I thought the tandem of Lyubushkin and Stillman were solid. 

Joki played well. He led the team in minutes. He played one second short of 27 minutes. Many fans don't have much confidence in this player but the coach certainly does. I'm putting the Joki critics on notice that I'm tuning you out. Watch the games and stop regurgitating your preconceived negative notions about this player who is getting better. 

I'm really encouraged on how the Sabres have played in this game and the Ranger game. As a unit they are playing a tighter and tougher style of play.

The Sabres may or may not be in the playoffs. If we string a few wins together we may be able to get back into the race. Regardless, you have to be encouraged at the intestinal fortitude this young team has. 

Great win. Entertaining game. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He’s not, one of His Teammates signed with the Canucks Today 

Glamorous GIF by Fergie

OKAY.... I'ma bee bee bee bee.....

22 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Good game. Took awhile to get warmed up, which would've been a disaster without Anderson, but then from the midpoint on the Sabres outskated them and earned the victory.

AND COZZIE.

The schedule softens a bit soon, if they play like this and pull out 8 or 9 wins out the rest of the way, end up with 86-88 points, I will be happy with the season on balance. I think the depression that hit them after the Islanders game is, thankfully, gone. Past Sabres teams would probably have let that linger the rest of the way. It was dour, the Rags game and this game were much better

I'm not making a real judgment on Greenway until next year (in part because whether I like it or not, he's here next year) but right now he reminds me of Wayne Simmonds' stint as a Sabre. Simmonds was obviously much better in his prime, but skated, checked, played defense similar to Greenway here, not seeing too much. We will see what Donny can do with the offseason

When Tuch first got here, he was obviously a good player, but his style wasn't my favorite and I didn't see him as a top line guy. Since early in this season, he took a step most players his age don't have the capacity to take, sort of like Skinner did. He's a terror on the forecheck, he makes excellent decisions with little space or time, and he injects a huge amount of energy into this team. He has to be next season's captain. The story is too perfect to not do this

Anderson was huge as he too often has to be, but the opponent tonight is no joke, and it was impressive that the Sabres were able to dominate them for a 30 minute stretch. Hopefully this does wonders for their confidence

There are very real problems with the team's defensive structure and coverage, but a lot of the breakdowns in the Sabres' end can be avoided without addressing these things. So often, normally-surehanded players have full possession of the puck, their teammates react to this by getting ready to leave the zone, and the puck winds up on the opponent's stick with everyone out of position. They just don't focus, are too weak-wristed in those moments. Just get the puck out, it doesn't have to be perfect. If the Leafs can figure this out (they are a top 10 defensive team by all metrics) we will be able to if our staff is up to it

One game at a time, no need to focus on the big picture, and we will see where we are in April. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

It's simply satisfying any time we beat the Leafs. 

Toronto didn't impress me. No way they get past Boston playing like that. ROR absence makes a big difference to what they can and can't do. We were better in a lot of areas. Tuch obviously makes a huge difference to the top line. 

I don't get why Granato plays Bryson at all though. That pairing was horrible. Matthews goal reminded me of Sabres at their worst from 2 years ago. Bryson ineffective, Dahlin out of position watching the play and Krebs doing his best impersonation of Eichel on the (non) back check. Just garbage hockey. How do you not pick up the late trailer like that? Bad bad hockey. 

Greenway is either really slow or lazy (or both) as I saw him coast on several plays and he is bringing no physical presence at all. Looks like another big body who plays small and thus a dud. maybe he will improve, but Minnesota obviously gave up on him and he's definitely not showing me the effort Jost brought when we picked him up. Bad trade unless he gets better. 

What if Anderson was 10 years younger someone asked? Why he'd have signed for more money somewhere else 🙂

Happy game though. Hate the Leafs. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's simply satisfying any time we beat the Leafs. 

Toronto didn't impress me. No way they get past Boston playing like that. ROR absence makes a big difference to what they can and can't do. We were better in a lot of areas. Tuch obviously makes a huge difference to the top line. 

I don't get why Granato plays Bryson at all though. That pairing was horrible. Matthews goal reminded me of Sabres at their worst from 2 years ago. Bryson ineffective, Dahlin out of position watching the play and Krebs doing his best impersonation of Eichel on the (non) back check. Just garbage hockey. How do you not pick up the late trailer like that? Bad bad hockey. 

Greenway is either really slow or lazy (or both) as I saw him coast on several plays and he is bringing no physical presence at all. Looks like another big body who plays small and thus a dud. maybe he will improve, but Minnesota obviously gave up on him and he's definitely not showing me the effort Jost brought when we picked him up. Bad trade unless he gets better. 

What if Anderson was 10 years younger someone asked? Why he'd have signed for more money somewhere else 🙂

Happy game though. Hate the Leafs. 

Yep. Never gets old.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Five months this season have taught me to not get too high or too low on this edition of the Sabres. I’ve also learned that you can get very high on the Sabres future. It’s gonna be fun.

Tonight taught me that they are a totally different team with Alex Tuch. I’d wager if he wasn’t playing tonight, it would have gotten out of hand after the Leafs got those two quick goals. Instead, they stood up, dusted themselves off, and proceeded  to kick their ass for the rest of the period.

100% right.  It’s a long season. $hit games and streaks are going to happen 

14 hours ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

I will watch, but 100% expecting a loss. 

12 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm not optimistic about the outcome. Hopefully they surprise me.

7 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Not gonna lie.  I think tonight is gonna suck.

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

I share this feeling.  I'll be THRILLED with a win.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

One area Greenway is helping is on the penalty kill

After my negative review in the thread about him, I really noticed that tonight.  He's tough to play against when he's penalty killing.

39 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Given your screen name are you surprised?

Pop Tv Burn GIF by Schitt's Creek

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If they don't know who Bobby Vinton is, their babcia didn't raise them right.

Oldsters like us just shake our heads at the youth of today. They are not bothered by our attitudes toward them because they are too preoccupied by their devices. I just noticed: I sound old and out of step. Get the hell off of my weed infested lawn!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.