GDT: Sabres at Toronto 3-13-2023 7:30 start MSG

spndnchz

After watching this game, I come away suspecting that Dahlin is hurt. He is not playing with the same verve that he usually has. To his credit he appears to be gutting it out and giving all that he can give. In some ways by not playing with his usual offensive abandon, he is playing a more disciplined and structured defensive game. I give him credit for his dedication to the team. He's a leader that his teammates certainly appreciate. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

• SDS unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Yay Burlington!   

I’ll keep my eyes open for Dylan in the summer 

50 minutes ago, OverPowerYou said:

Did the Sabres really win a Monday game? I feel like when they play on Monday/Tuesday it’s a guaranteed loss? 

At home. Yes it is.  

50 minutes ago, JohnC said:

After watching this game, I come away suspecting that Dahlin is hurt. He is not playing with the same verve that he usually has. To his credit he appears to be gutting it out and giving all that he can give. In some ways by not playing with his usual offensive abandon, he is playing a more disciplined and structured defensive game. I give him credit for his dedication to the team. He's a leader that his teammates certainly appreciate. 

Future captain. The kid is a stud 

54 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Granato admitted as much after the game (Dahlin nursing an injury)

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Oldsters like us just shake our heads at the youth of today. They are not bothered by our attitudes toward them because they are too preoccupied by their devices. I just noticed: I sound old and out of step. Get the hell off of my weed infested lawn!

What age do you consider youth if today? Just curious.  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Dahlin is definitely hurting and it is affecting his defensive game as much or more than his offensive game.  He was -3 last night and from the looks of it, it was not all Bryson.   He is much less likely to take a body right now.  So on a few goals players got shots off that they would not have otherwise.  

Still a stud.  I would not trade him for any of the other Norris contenders.  

It’s a shame these injuries came at crunch time but that is a result of many minutes and him taking a pounding as the biggest physical presence we had for most of the season.  Even when paired with Samuelsson, Dahlin was by far more physical.   

Many fans here complain about no grit on the team, so we bring in two physical players at the deadline, and now they complain about those players being slow or not skilled.  Adams must bring in another big physical presence on the back line.   You need 8 reliable defenseman on a roster to survive 82 games plus playoffs.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Dahlin is definitely hurting and it is affecting his defensive game as much or more than his offensive game.  He was -3 last night and from the looks of it, it was not all Bryson.   He is much less likely to take a body right now.  So on a few goals players got shots off that they would not have otherwise.  

Still a stud.  I would not trade him for any of the other Norris contenders.  

It’s a shame these injuries came at crunch time but that is a result of many minutes and him taking a pounding as the biggest physical presence we had for most of the season.  Even when paired with Samuelsson, Dahlin was by far more physical.   

So many fans here complain about no grit on the team, so we bring in two physical players at the deadline, and now they complain about those players being slow or not skilled.  Adams must bring in another big physical presence on the back line.   You need 8 reliable defenseman on a roster to survive 82 games plus playoffs.  

That physicality that he brings is a big part of why he was viewed as generational.  He doesn't just have the slick moves and sublime passing, but he has a mean streak too and really seems to enjoy hitting people.  Though on a Granato coached team, he doesn't bring that many hits.

His physical play was very noticeable at the WJC's back before he was drafted.  Good to see that he's finally got the strength to bring that component back to his game.

Would really like to know if he's a chatter box out on the ice like Skinner is as well.  (Can't hear what they say to each other out there from the nose bleeds.)  Because, though he dishes out a fair amount, he gets it back too.  And it seems he takes more hits, and in particular cheap hits, than just his play alone warrants.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

Some quick thoughts on this game:

My first star goes to Anderson. My second star goes to Tuch. If anyone wants to reverse the order I'm fine with it. 

The biggest surprise in this game is that Tuch was able to get back to his energetic and tough play even after a long injury layoff. His presence is felt by the rest of the roster. When he is playing this team is confident. 

Beyond the scoring our first line played a tough battling game. The Thompson and Skinner passes to Tuch for scores were nifty. Skinner has turned out to be one of our best passers. 

Cozens showed persistence on his goal. His young wingers are playing with confidence. Peterka is showing why the coach stuck with him even when he seemed to be in the doldrums.

I thought the tandem of Lyubushkin and Stillman were solid. 

Joki played well. He led the team in minutes. He played one second short of 27 minutes. Many fans don't have much confidence in this player but the coach certainly does. I'm putting the Joki critics on notice that I'm tuning you out. Watch the games and stop regurgitating your preconceived negative notions about this player who is getting better. 

I'm really encouraged on how the Sabres have played in this game and the Ranger game. As a unit they are playing a tighter and tougher style of play.

The Sabres may or may not be in the playoffs. If we string a few wins together we may be able to get back into the race. Regardless, you have to be encouraged at the intestinal fortitude this young team has. 

Great win. Entertaining game. 

Check out DG’s post game interview.  He said your boy Joki played his best game.  We needed more of that when Dahlin had his first injury.  I think you are overreacting on the fans Joki comments.  Adam’s needs to bring in an experienced veteran RHD, the lineup pairings will sort itself out - my point is our defensive prospects pipeline is not going to help them anytime soon and our depth is a significant drop off.  

When the Sabres focus on better team defense they inevitably score less, you saw it in the Ranger game, it just makes sense.  Last night they were able to solve Murray, Tuch made a difference and his presence improved 2 lines. 

We are not out of it.  We can get hot and other teams can get cold.  It’s more important to stay competitive right to the end because this is very close to playoff hockey right now.  

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

And with that single win, the Sabres only need to climb over 1 other team whom they have a game in hand on to be right behind the Pens and Aisles.

It ain't over until WE say it's over.

Sabre are great when the pressure is off and they are in chase mode.  When the games get tight and they are in position to claim a playoff spot they puke on themselves and show they aren't ready for primetime yet.  Growing pains.

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

Some quick thoughts on this game:

My first star goes to Anderson. My second star goes to Tuch. If anyone wants to reverse the order I'm fine with it. 

The biggest surprise in this game is that Tuch was able to get back to his energetic and tough play even after a long injury layoff. His presence is felt by the rest of the roster. When he is playing this team is confident. 

Beyond the scoring our first line played a tough battling game. The Thompson and Skinner passes to Tuch for scores were nifty. Skinner has turned out to be one of our best passers. 

Cozens showed persistence on his goal. His young wingers are playing with confidence. Peterka is showing why the coach stuck with him even when he seemed to be in the doldrums.

I thought the tandem of Lyubushkin and Stillman were solid. 

Joki played well. He led the team in minutes. He played one second short of 27 minutes. Many fans don't have much confidence in this player but the coach certainly does. I'm putting the Joki critics on notice that I'm tuning you out. Watch the games and stop regurgitating your preconceived negative notions about this player who is getting better. 

I'm really encouraged on how the Sabres have played in this game and the Ranger game. As a unit they are playing a tighter and tougher style of play.

The Sabres may or may not be in the playoffs. If we string a few wins together we may be able to get back into the race. Regardless, you have to be encouraged at the intestinal fortitude this young team has. 

Great win. Entertaining game. 

Tuch with Thompson and Skinner is a nearly unstoppable line combo...they all seem to just know where the other person will be without even having to see them.  It's a joy to wach.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That physicality that he brings is a big part of why he was viewed as generational.  He doesn't just have the slick moves and sublime passing, but he has a mean streak too and really seems to enjoy hitting people.  Though on a Granato coached team, he doesn't bring that many hits.

His physical play was very noticeable at the WJC's back before he was drafted.  Good to see that he's finally got the strength to bring that component back to his game.

Would really like to know if he's a chatter box out on the ice like Skinner is as well.  (Can't hear what they say to each other out there from the nose bleeds.)  Because, though he dishes out a fair amount, he gets it back too.  And it seems he takes more hits, and in particular cheap hits, than just his play alone warrants.

And this is were players like Greenway and Stillman can help.  We still need a few more.  

Once our young guys get older, and stronger, the tables will turn. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

And this is were players like Greenway and Stillman can help.  We still need a few more.  

Once our young guys get older, and stronger, the tables will turn. 

I think Quinn and JJP will be prime examples 

Quinn has a competitive streak and can play nasty   Seeing a bit of it this season but was really on display last season with the Amerks 

JJP is a bull and will become an unstoppable force with his skill and speed mixed with rugged play down low 

not sure the kid line will become as good as the top line but even if they get close to that level consistently , they are going to be hard to beat

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I think Quinn and JJP will be prime examples 

Quinn has a competitive streak and can play nasty   Seeing a bit of it this season but was really on display last season with the Amerks 

JJP is a bull and will become an unstoppable force with his skill and speed mixed with rugged play down low 

not sure the kid line will become as good as the top line but even if they get close to that level consistently , they are going to be hard to beat

I am hoping that Samuelsson can add some more sandpaper to his game.  He has size.  I have to remind myself that he is 23 and has only 100 NHL games under his belt.  If he can just add the physicality that Dahlin has he would be a force back there. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Sabre are great when the pressure is off and they are in chase mode.  When the games get tight and they are in position to claim a playoff spot they puke on themselves and show they aren't ready for primetime yet.  Growing pains.

Tuch with Thompson and Skinner is a nearly unstoppable line combo...they all seem to just know where the other person will be without even having to see them.  It's a joy to wach.

Disagree.  Sabres are VERY good on the road.  At home wearing B&R they have been very good.  For whatever reason, when wearing B&G at home they have not been good.  

But not sure how you can say there was less pressure on the team against the Rags and Loafs than there was previously.  The team is NOT out of the playoff race, though had they missed out on those 3 points they took, for all intents and purposes, the race would've been over.  There is more pressure to win every single day.

What you are seeing as an ability to only be comfortable while in some sort of chase mode seems to be more of a case of the timing of where they are playing their games.  Combine that with having played 8 games without the guy that seems to bring the heart of the team and you saw a team squandering a great chance to finally end an 11 year drought.

Let's see how they do now that the forward lines are finally set before passing final judgement.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes.  Really.  

Sabres fans have no excuses. Most of the fan base is waiting on the sidelines.  The team has been irrelevant.  Tronno, on the other hand …

The youth excuse. The patience excuse. The injury excuse. The small market excuse. The uniform excuse. The...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.