WhenWillItEnd66

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Let me fix that for you Donny:

Skinner-Thompson-Greenway
Mittelstadt-Cozens-Quinn
Peterka-Krebs-Hinostroza
Girgensons-Jost-Okposo
Olofsson extra

I don't think Greenway lasts the whole game on the top line.  There will be juggling.

On WGR Tuesday, Granato said that he was going to start off playing Greenway with a variety of players. It's very likely that he will soon be playing on a dedicated line. 

Twinkle Twinlke little stars, hate you, hate you, little stars. 🎶

It will always be NO GOAL.

Our Young Rebels blow up the evil stars with a late skate in the crease goal (or a kick/not a kick goal).

Young Tage IceWalker was overheard in morning skate:

star wars GIF

I used to bullseye womp rats back home…..”

Star Wars Mind Blown GIF by LEGO

LFG!!!!

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The top line is the skill line and Greenway isn't a "skilled" player, so my instinct tells me that experiment won't work. Luckily lines can be adjusted mid-game so if it's not working he can switch players around.

I did notice that during the Islanders game Tage took a few extra curricular hits. Greenway can add some protection and what I'm more interested in seeing is him finishing hits against the other teams "skill" players since I imagine those lines will be matched up.

Don’t see why the excitement would be down for this one 

find a way to win, hopefully the pens take care of business against the islanders, and we are sitting 4 points back of a playoff spot with 3 games in hand. 

lesssgo

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

In the final analysis, Greenway replacing Tuch, or, by injury extension for that matter, Quinn, is hardly a catalyst for surprise or condemnation of the the line up changes. It's obvious the team is moving in to the "let's get the member acclimated/finish the season on a high note" mode. The playoffs, while statically not out of reach, are, by all of the recent past team play indicators and outcomes, out of reach.

They gave the season as a "young core talent growth season". To that end, it's been successful. They identified a deficient roster need, namely puck control via size play, addressed it at a very affordable price given the assets available and with a bit of term to boot, just as Adam's described. Defensive depth next season acquired a bottom depth piece in Stillman. They are aware there is more work to do before the start of next season. I believe they will be in a position of strength next seadon for a wild card playoff spot if they meet the challenge of addressing some, if not all, of the issues identified.

They aren’t *close* to out of reach by past indicators 

good grief. Just typing words.

the islanders if continuing to play at the pace they have, for over 60 games, now - you know, looking at all past team play indicators and outcomes - are pacing for 92 points, and the 8th playoff spot. 

Buffalo, using all past indicators, is pacing for 89 points. Florida is pacing for less. Ottawa is pacing for the same

3 points. A single game’s worth + 1

We aren’t “oh I know we’re *mathematically* in it, bUuUT..”

We are simply very much in it 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Don’t see why the excitement would be down for this one 

find a way to win, hopefully the pens take care of business against the islanders, and we are sitting 4 points back of a playoff spot with 3 games in hand. 

Ice Hockey Hug GIF by NHL

1 minute ago, JohninMinn. said:

I forgot that unlike every other team in the league we aren’t supposed to be able to win with one player out of the lineup 

we ain’t ever going to BE in a healthy playoff chase, so if you ever want to enjoy a playoff chase, get used to it 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Spoonman said:

Twinkle Twinlke little stars, hate you, hate you, little stars. 🎶

It will always be NO GOAL.

Our Young Rebels blow up the evil stars with a late skate in the crease goal (or a kick/not a kick goal).

Young Tage IceWalker was overheard in morning skate:

star wars GIF

I used to bullseye womp rats back home…..”

Just a note that in the screenplay that has yet to be written, with Tuch Icewalker being the trade-son of Jackikin Eichwalker, TNT is currently some "Concept of" Tagebacca. It is TBD whether Skinner or Quinner is the Solo of the power trio.

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Thompson last 5 games a -4.  Skinner a -3. Quinn a -3. 2 goals scored each. 

The line is not doing what it was and we lose 4/5 during that time. 

Sorry your narrative is false. 

Looks like that line scored 6 and gave up at 3 for a net positive 3 - assuming the goals are all even strength and the line was actually together for all of the goals.  Thompson must have been in another pair for one of his negatives since he is -4.  

No one expected Quinn to be as effective as Tuch, however Quinn has filled in better on this line than the ripple effect that was left by this move on the other lines.  That is why I think Quinn is going back to Cozen's line - to help all the other lines get back closer to "normal" while Greenway tries to fill Tuch's role.  It is a less disruptive change overall. 

6 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Scored 2 tix for 70 bucks up top so I've kicked my cold enough to go tonight, my voice is at 20% so I won't be starting any chants 😂

Anyone else going? 

You betcha.  Doing our normal - stop at UP on the way there then off to the nosebleeds.

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Greenway to Top Line 

Thats a much better defense 

Granato loves him some Olofsson.

Very interested to see what the 2nd line does.  Hopefully Comrie can play well and get us 2 good games in a row from him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

3 Keys to the Game: 

1. Referees do not swallow their whistles 

2. Comrie provides average, to good, goaltending 

3. Thompson and Dahlin find the scoresheet 

1.  Whistles get put away in these games at this time of the season.   On Tuesday, the Islanders were masters of the types of hooking/holding that refs will let go.   That is a part of the game we do not know how to play yet.  

2.  I think he will play like his last game, which was pretty solid overall.  

3.  Yes.   Need the big players to play big and start the positive momentum.  

4.  Team defense.  High scoring games are less likely.  Winning close games requires playing smart team defense and winning most of the little battles.  

• Vomit 1

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They aren’t *close* to out of reach by past indicators 

good grief. Just typing words.

the islanders if continuing to play at the pace they have, for over 60 games, now - you know, looking at all past team play indicators and outcomes - are pacing for 92 points, and the 8th playoff spot. 

Buffalo, using all past indicators, is pacing for 89 points. Florida is pacing for less. Ottawa is pacing for the same

3 points. A single game’s worth + 1

We aren’t “oh I know we’re *mathematically* in it, bUuUT..”

We are simply very much in it 

The Islanders and Penguins, both currently in the wild card spots, have done what the Sabres are unable to do, win critical playoff position race games when needed. I mean, if you want to counter my opinion, or view, of the situation, let's not cherry pick, or omit the totality of the knowns. And you omit the Penguins in your response, I don't know if that was just an "oh ya, forgot about the" or an "I want to believe, I'll teach him" kind of oopsie. Doesn't matter imo either way. The Sabres point blank have proven they aren't ready to push over the hump yet in those critical games, the Islanders and the Penguins have.

Shrugs.....

Not much more I have on it.

6 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

The Islanders and Penguins, both currently in the wild card spots, have done what the Sabres are unable to do, win critical playoff position race games when needed. I mean, if you want to counter my opinion, or view, of the situation, let's not cherry pick, or omit the totality of the knowns. And you omit the Penguins in your response, I don't know if that was just an "oh ya, forgot about the" or an "I want to believe, I'll teach him" kind of oopsie. Doesn't matter imo either way. The Sabres point blank have proven they aren't ready to push over the hump yet in those critical games, the Islanders and the Penguins have.

Shrugs.....

Not much more I have on it.

I’m omitting the penguins b/c I don’t think we catch them 

You are conflating two distinct things. Given the field, it’s not been “likely” we make the playoffs..well really maybe EVER, statistically, this season. 

That’s how “the field” works. 

But there’s a difference between it being likely and reasonably possible. We are still very much, realistically, statistically in it 

- - - 

Your statement about the isles being able to “win the games we haven’t” doesn’t even make sense. You mean, 1 game? Up until which point we performed better this season than they had? Statistically? Story isn’t written yet. We might miss, but if so, it’s still not correct that we are functionally out of it, at this time 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Your statement about the isles being able to “win the games we haven’t” doesn’t even make sense. You mean, 1 game? Up until which point we performed better this season than they had? Statistically? 

When looking at where both teams are with regards to points in the standings, strength of remaining schedule, how much of the regular seadon remains, and yes, those games that are pivotal, especially 4 point swing head to heads, the islander game makes up a good piece of the opinion I have. It was a critical game with playoff implications. 

29 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

1.  Whistles get put away in these games at this time of the season.   On Tuesday, the Islanders were masters of the types of hooking/holding that refs will let go.   That is a part of the game we do not know how to play yet.  

2.  I think he will play like his last game, which was pretty solid overall.  

3.  Yes.   Need the big players to play big and start the positive momentum.  

4.  Team defense.  High scoring games are less likely.  Winning close games requires playing smart team defense and winning most of the little battles.  

@Thorny, how do you really feel about it?  

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

When looking at where both teams are with regards to points in the standings, strength of remaining schedule, how much of the regular seadon remains, and yes, those games that are pivotal, especially 4 point swing head to heads, the islander game makes up a good piece of the opinion I have. It was a critical game with playoff implications. 

Fair enough, but, cooperating under the terms of your logic - don’t we play them again this season? Surely that game presents just as critical an opportunity? I can’t see winning that being presented as a “bridge too far”, it’s WELL within the realm of possibility, so I still don’t get the “it’s not over, but really it’s over” line of thought 

I digress 

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

@Thorny, how do you really feel about it?  

About the refs swallowing their whistles? 

its real dumb. 

its still my number 1 key, and I think it’s vital: we need the game played by the rules here b/c it’s not like KA built this team, for THIS season, with an eye for playoff type hockey in mind (though, it should add some impetus for his work this offseason). 

There’s still almost a quarter season left - I’m hoping re: official tonight it’s more along the lines of Ritchie Regular-Season

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

About the refs swallowing their whistles? 

its real dumb. 

its still my number 1 key, and I think it’s vital: we need to play by the rules here b/c it’s not like KA built this team, for THIS season, with an eye for playoff type hockey in mind (though, it should add some impetus for his work this offseason). 

There’s still almost a quarter season left - I’m hoping re: official tonight it’s more along the lines of Ritchie Regular-Season

Sure, swallowing the whistles is dumb.  Its the NHL.  Games are officiated differently now.  Watch and see.  They will call tripping, even minor or accidental.  Last night was another bad one, this time on Thompson.   Before that it was Samuelsson against Tampa - terrible call. 

Holding and Hooking will vary from night to night, depends on who is playing.  Playing the Islanders, holding and hooking was basically legal for the night.   

All fights/scrums will get the same penalties, no matter if there is a clear instigator or not.  

Two Sabres came off the ice bleeding last game, one was Okposo (stick in the eye) and no calls.  

Do not make your number 1 key to the game the refs.  If you ever coached youth hockey you would know that.  You never have your players thinking about the refs either, bad juju happens when players think they are victims. 

The keys to the game are the things you can control.  When it comes to the refs you figure out how they are calling it and you adapt.  

That's my take.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.