GDT: Dallas @ Sabres - Mar. 9, 2023, 7:00pm, MSG, ESPN+, & WGR

WhenWillItEnd66

15 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Not sure I like Greenway on the top line. Maybe he gives TNT & Skinner more room to dance. He doesn’t look to have the speed to keep up with them.

Maybe the strategy is to have him crash the net and create enough chaos for the others to find holes or clean up rebounds.

Mule and Stillman add some much needed physicality. Bryson will not be missed.

Let’s go Buffalo!

I’m guessing they want Greenway to supply the forecheck that line is missing without Tuch

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

43 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Greenway to Top Line 

Thats a much better defense 

Greenway on the top line puts the other 3 lines back to more familiar status.   Maybe DG is trying to get more balanced scoring?

Greenway did some nice things in front of the net the last game, he was the reason we got the 2nd goal.  He was also a big reason why we finally had sustained zone time during the 6 on 5 at the end of the game.  He gets a lot of attention when in front of the net.  

The biggest problem with the Islander game was the teams inability to get players into the slot and around the net (dirty areas).  The Islander were happy to let us pass around the perimeter while they took away the shot lanes.  That is how they play.  Greenway may be there screen the goalie and to collect the garbage from shots by 53 and 72.  

It is worth a try.  

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Greenway to Top Line 

Let me fix that for you Donny:

Skinner-Thompson-Greenway
Mittelstadt-Cozens-Quinn
Peterka-Krebs-Hinostroza
Girgensons-Jost-Okposo
Olofsson extra

I don't think Greenway lasts the whole game on the top line.  There will be juggling.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

That last loss really took the wind out of my sails, this is maybe the least interested I've been in a game all season.

You obviously don't remember Hank Bullough taking the "sails out of our winds."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Greenway to Top Line 

Quinn being replaced by Greenway is hilariously wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I agree, that defense is roughly 68.6% better with Bryson and Clague out of the line-up.

Don't understand Greenway on the top line, that seems like a Kruegerism. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

He won't. Quinn can do everything Greenway can better. Yes, even the boards. 

Good news is the Mitts-Cozens-Quinn should have lots of chances tonight. 

Just now, triumph_communes said:

Quinn was not doing anything on that line. It’s hard to play with Skinner. Quinn was doing well with Cozens.  It’s a chemistry decision. Not a demotion. 

Go check the stats of the "was not doing anything" guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Good news is the Mitts-Cozens-Quinn should have lots of chances tonight. 

Go check the stats of the "was not doing anything" guy. 

Thompson last 5 games a -4.  Skinner a -3. Quinn a -3. 2 goals scored each. 

The line is not doing what it was and we lose 4/5 during that time. 

Sorry your narrative is false. 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

In the final analysis, Greenway replacing Tuch, or, by injury extension for that matter, Quinn, is hardly a catalyst for surprise or condemnation of the the line up changes. It's obvious the team is moving in to the "let's get the member acclimated/finish the season on a high note" mode. The playoffs, while statically not out of reach, are, by all of the recent past team play indicators and outcomes, out of reach.

They gave the season as a "young core talent growth season". To that end, it's been successful. They identified a deficient roster need, namely puck control via size play, addressed it at a very affordable price given the assets available and with a bit of term to boot, just as Adam's described. Defensive depth next season acquired a bottom depth piece in Stillman. They are aware there is more work to do before the start of next season. I believe they will be in a position of strength next seadon for a wild card playoff spot if they meet the challenge of addressing some, if not all, of the issues identified.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, triumph_communes said:

Thompson last 5 games a -4.  Skinner a -3. Quinn a -3. 2 goals scored each. 

The line is not doing what it was and we lose 4/5 during that time. 

Sorry your narrative is false. 

Ooo now it's a narrative. Quinn has 2g,1a in the last 5 games as a rookie... must be doing something. 

Here's Jack Quinn not doing anything from the last game.

Just now, sabremike said:

Plus/Minus is right up there with Saves as the single most garbage stat in all of pro sports. Why do people continue to act like it is in any way meaningful or useful?

Really only helps when you compare within a team. I actually agree with Pi that a team relative +/- does show you a little something. 

Actually let's talk about this play. It shows everything Quinn is.

He starts by pausing his stride as he crosses the blue line. This separates him from the defense. He then jumps on his horse to drive the net when he thinks the play is going to head there, effectively going around the defender who shifted away from him. He comes around, sees the ice and jumps on the loose puck. He goes around the near defender, fakes as though he'll circle high by faking a pass, only to cut hard inside as the 2nd defender comes to pick him up. He then cuts behind that 2nd defender into space, forcing the center to jump high to get in the shot lane but Quinns already released. If Skinner wasn't unlucky, that's a goal and primary assist. Jack Quinn takes 3 defenders out of the play, gets a dangerous shot and gave Skinner a tap in. 

Imagine him after another summer of working out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.