Should we be worried about next year?

dudacek

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

One truism in hockey is that a career year is often followed with some backsliding.

This year is just another case where Tage Thompson is the exception that proves the rule.

Our best players — Thompson, Dahlin, Skinner, Tuch, Cozens and Mittelstadt — are all having career years, and by a significant margin.

Tell me why we shouldn't we be worried about some serious regression.

Because they haven't reached their peak yet and we have a lot more talent coming through the pipeline and likely in free agency this year. Do people seriously have nothing better to do than think this team will be a bottom 5 team forever?

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Xzy89c said:

If we did not have that 8 game losing streak where we did not have a point we would be in playoffs right now. if we pulled 4 points out of 16 available. 

But then what would happen if Pittsburgh also didn't have their 7 game losing streak and a seperate 6 game streak? Ottawa had a 7 game losing streak also. Washington and the Islanders also had a 6 game losing streak, Detroit a 6 game losing streak twice.   

I guess my point is a loss is a loss, the order doesn't matter. And if it DOES matter the order (a streak can compound itself), then the same thing applies to other teams.  If instead of a losing streak, you 'give' the Sabres half the available points, then do the same with the other teams around you with their multi-week streaks, and you end up in about the same place in the standings.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, French Collection said:

VO is the wid card, he could have a reduced role.

Honestly, his role needs to be on another team. He is far too streaky. Good when he’s good, bad when he’s bad. He cannot be relied on to be a regular contributor on this team.

VO would be a moved if I were KA and this summer is the time.

2 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Honestly, his role needs to be on another team. He is far too streaky. Good when he’s good, bad when he’s bad. He cannot be relied on to be a regular contributor on this team.

VO would be a moved if I were KA and this summer is the time.

It would be nice for him to go another streak and hit 30 to elevate his trade value. I’m sure the streak will start if they get eliminated from the WC spot.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

But then what would happen if Pittsburgh also didn't have their 7 game losing streak and a seperate 6 game streak? Ottawa had a 7 game losing streak also. Washington and the Islanders also had a 6 game losing streak, Detroit a 6 game losing streak twice.   

I guess my point is a loss is a loss, the order doesn't matter. And if it DOES matter the order (a streak can compound itself), then the same thing applies to other teams.  If instead of a losing streak, you 'give' the Sabres half the available points, then do the same with the other teams around you with their multi-week streaks, and you end up in about the same place in the standings.

dont care about other teams. Talking about SABRES. 

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Because they haven't reached their peak yet and we have a lot more talent coming through the pipeline and likely in free agency this year. Do people seriously have nothing better to do than think this team will be a bottom 5 team forever?

This post is pissing me off more than it should.

Where have I said, or even implied the bolded? In the opening post you're quoting, or anywhere on this site, ever?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Well considering I don’t really “worry” about sport teams having a good season or not, I’ll vote for … I’m not gonna worry about it. 

Side note: I just put a down payment for my 19th season as a STH for the 23-24 season. 

Rookie. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Where have I said, or even implied the bolded? In the opening post you're quoting, or anywhere on this site, ever?

Not to get into that argument, but seriously. We have sucked for how many years? There maybe younger "newer" fans that may feel just that way. I have been a fan since day 1 so lived for the ups and downs and disappointments. Very possible younger fans really think that. Very sad

1 hour ago, Xzy89c said:

dont care about other teams. Talking about SABRES. 

Except the post I reacted was about where the Sabres would be in the standings if they didn't have their 8 game losing streak.  So the very nature of what that post was about is where they would be relative to OTHER TEAMS. And by the way, that 8 game losing streak was against 'other teams', whether they make the playoffs or not is dependant on 'other teams'. The logic of saying what if the Sabres did this or didn't do that only matters if you recognize the existence of other teams.  The Sabres playing in a 'league of one team', wouldn't be very exciting for many of us...and in all honesty, would make for a very boring message board.

If I even worry at all. Changes will be coming and then I'll reboot my view of the team. 

This team still has so much very young talent. They aren't going to foget how to score.

They just need to learn how to play a two way game and improve on Special teams (PP & PK).  Plus stabilize the Goalie position. 

I'll "worry" about next year...next year.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

It’s true though - it’s funny it was even suggested. You’ve been so far from that 

The thing that should scare our opponents is what do they do when JJP and Quinn mature?  Then the next wave is Savoie and Kulich. Last year we had one scoring line.  This year we have two.  Next year we’ll have 3 and hopefully a strong checking line that can contribute.

Last season we had 4 20 goal scorers, 4 others with 10-13 and only scored 229 goals.  This season, Vinnie and KO have fallen back with diminished roles, yet now we already have 5 20 goal scorers, plus 3 10-14 and another 4 guys likely to reach double figures before the season ends. With 19 games left we have already scored 233 goals.  This year’s team might even reach 300 goals by year’s end.

So what should happen next year?  Who knows, but I fully believe that Cozens can be a 35 goal scorer with Quinn 25, JJP and Mitts 20 and Krebs 15.  What’s Power upside?  How many will we score then as a team?

If KA gets a goaltender and a partner for Power this off-season, this team can easily be the next TB Lightning.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 3/7/2023 at 2:02 PM, dudacek said:

One truism in hockey is that a career year is often followed with some backsliding.

This year is just another case where Tage Thompson is the exception that proves the rule.

Our best players — Thompson, Dahlin, Skinner, Tuch, Cozens and Mittelstadt — are all having career years, and by a significant margin.

Tell me why we shouldn't we be worried about some serious regression.

With the (perhaps) exception of Thompson, I wouldn't say these guys are having "career years" at all. Thompson might not do what he's done this year every year, that's highly possible, but there's no reason to think he isn't going to be a plus 30 goal scorer every year assuming he's healthy. 

Skinner has always been a streaky guy and his career year was the Eichel-Skinner-Reinhart year where he earned(?) that contract. He's scoring more now because he has good linemates, he's in an offensive role that he's comfortable with, and the team plays an offensive style. No reason to think he won't be roughly the same next year and for a few more after that. 

Tuch is perhaps having a career year, but I think he's just happy being a Sabre and is giving us a consistent game that should continue, especially if he stays on the top line. 

Dahlin has simply reached NHL maturity. This is what he was projected to be when he was the consensus #1 overall pick. Just think how good it'll be when Power reaches his maturity in 3-4 years as well. 

Cozens isn't having a career year. Cozens is ahead of the curve in terms of maturity and, although I preached Cozens potential from day one, he's even better than I expected. JBot done good here with this draft choice. He will be this good and BETTER for years to come. 

Mitts? Career year? Umm, well, if this is his career year trade him at peak value I guess cause that's a low bar. idk if he can be better than this. I hope so. he ain't that good. 

Quinn and Peterka should both be better than they are next year but they could have up and down struggles still. Steps backward. Hopefully we have enough depth to deal with that should it emerge. Nothing out of the ordinary if it does. Power might as well but I'm pretty confident he will just get better and better and in some ways might even end up better than Dahlin eventually. 

My 3 biggest question marks for next year are 1) has Jokiharju peaked or can he still get better?  2) will UPL get better and fix his flaws or will he always be somewhat like he is? and 3) will any of the kids in Rochester be ready for next year and contribute? I don't want another learning/growing season. I want to win. so I guess the other question is obviously will KA find ways to fix the holes now or will there be more hoping and waiting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.