Sabres trade for Defenseman Riley Stillman in exchange for Josh Bloom

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

How can you not understand the trade? 
 This is a team that doesn’t have a 7th Dman they can put out there when needed that they have any confidence in    
last game, without Dahlin they played Bryson 13 mins and Clague 9     
Stillman is a bottom pair guy at best but he has to be better than what they have 

If your goal was to get an upgrade on Clague and Bryson the GM failed.  This guy is no better than Fitz, who you waived and let go for nothing.  To make it worse you’re paying this guy nearly double what Fitz was making.  

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

If your goal was to get an upgrade on Clague and Bryson the GM failed.  This guy is no better than Fitz, who you waived and let go for nothing.  To make it worse you’re paying this guy nearly double what Fitz was making.  

They clearly think it is an upgrade. Guess we shall find out. 

13 minutes ago, centralparkhockey said:

Haven’t posted in years, but I’m here to say that I was up in Ottawa last week and happened to see North Bay play the 67’s.  

Watched for him closely and I only noticed Bloom skating on the power play. Perhaps he wasn’t developing as a well rounded player.  Seems like Adams just jettisoned him.

Welcome back!

10 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Just a thought: does this imply that Dahlin may need to go onto IR for the week?

There’s a lot of speculation this at least could be the case. I sure hope not.

i believe if he goes in IR it can be retroactive to Monday, meaning the soonest he could be back is our game this COMING Monday: but we have 3 games in between including today. Also not sure if he’d also have to be out that Monday re: the 1 week minimum rule 

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

To make it better, they're paying this guy less than 3/4 what Bryson is making and it drops Pilut to 9 on the depth chart.

And should they bring in a guy that is more widely believed to be a top 6 player, then Pilut will be 10th on the depth chart.  Bring in Johnson too and Pilut is 11th.  This keeps looking better and better.  ;)  (Well, at least it remains looking 'meh.')

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not according to what DG said this morning. Dahlin might go tonight or Thursday. 

Just now, Thorny said:

There’s a lot of speculation this at least could be the case. I sure hope not.

i believe if he goes in IR it can be retroactive to Monday, meaning the soonest he could be back is our game this COMING Monday: but we have 3 games in between including today. Also not sure if he’d also have to be out that Monday re: the 1 week minimum rule 

Granato said this morning on WGR that Dahlin might be okay to go today and if not most likely Thursday. He wasn't sure yet because they had yesterday off so they haven't been on the ice since the Washington game. 

15 minutes ago, centralparkhockey said:

Haven’t posted in years, but I’m here to say that I was up in Ottawa last week and happened to see North Bay play the 67’s.  

Watched for him closely and I only noticed Bloom skating on the power play. Perhaps he wasn’t developing as a well rounded player.  Seems like Adams just jettisoned him.

That’s actually the sad thing is that he was developing into a good 2 way player.  He leads the team with 4 short handed goals.  

I’ve posted about our glut of prospect forwards and that some would need to go, but I thought we’d actually get something we need in return.

Maybe Stillman will surprise us all and turn into someone like Eric Cernak.  From what I saw watching Van, he looks more like bad Lyubushkin.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s actually the sad thing is that he was developing into a good 2 way player.  He leads the team with 4 short handed goals.  

I’ve posted about our glut of prospect forwards and that some would need to go, but I thought we’d actually get something we need in return.

Maybe Stillman will surprise us all and turn into someone like Eric Cernak.  From what I saw watching Van, he looks more like bad Lyubushkin.

That's my concern. 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Meme Reaction GIF

I think we will find out around 10am for the morning skate. I might honestly let Dahlin rest up tonight in the hopes you can beat a down on their luck Columbus team. 

FTR, Columbus is going to be terrifying in 2-3years. They will have a great defense and several really good offensive players. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think we will find out around 10am for the morning skate. I might honestly let Dahlin rest up tonight in the hopes you can beat a down on their luck Columbus team. 

FTR, Columbus is going to be terrifying in 2-3years. They will have a great defense and several really good offensive players. 

Provided players are finally willing to play and stay there.  They've built good teams before but all the best players couldn't wait to get out the door.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I read the short handed goal stat line too, which is why I was so puzzled about him only getting special teams minutes.  

Edited by centralparkhockey

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I feel like if there was a chance he could make whatever the injury is more severe by playing they’d sit him out regardless, so he’s either healed and good to go and he’s in, or he’s not healed and he’s out. If it’s been pain tolerance probably stays that way too, and it’s down to the player. My guess is they go with medical opinion on this kinda stuff to a T rather than “well, he’s been given the green light but we’ll hold him out one more game to be extra sure” unless it’s a concussion with often more difficult to pin down symptoms. I think it’s as simple as he plays if he’s ready and he doesn’t if not. Just imo. 

58 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You might be right, you might be wrong.  You have not seen him play in Buffalo yet. 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

still hoping they get jensen  I would feel very very comfortable going into the playoff with him added

We have draft capital and prospects to move, but I'm only in favor of getting Jensen if we extend him for two years and I don't see Adams doing that anymore. Not if we're adding another NHL contract in Stillman. The only way I see it happening is if one of Clague or Bryson are packaged in the offer (or Stillman, I guess). I also think he's hesitant to add a top 4 D-man because the contract situation with Ryan Johnson.

Alternatively, they're going to move Ryan Johnson's rights as part of the trade as well since he's technically worth a late 2nd round pick in 2024 (and Washington traded their 2024 2nd so it gives them one back--albeit late).

So what's the offer for Jensen? A 2nd + Bryson? Adding Ryan Johnson's rights starts to sound like an overpay.

Also we'd have to waive one of Krebs, Quinn, Peterka, Sammy, Power or UPL--although on paper only and something we're likely to do anyway so they're eligible for the AHL playoffs--to make room assuming we execute the trade Friday before the deadline. If we executed it before then, we'd have to send one to Rochester until Saturday.

6 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

We have draft capital and prospects to move, but I'm only in favor of getting Jensen if we extend him for two years and I don't see Adams doing that anymore. Not if we're adding another NHL contract in Stillman. The only way I see it happening is if one of Clague or Bryson are packaged in the offer (or Stillman, I guess). I also think he's hesitant to add a top 4 D-man because the contract situation with Ryan Johnson.

Alternatively, they're going to move Ryan Johnson's rights as part of the trade as well since he's technically worth a late 2nd round pick in 2024 (and Washington traded their 2024 2nd so it gives them one back--albeit late).

So what's the offer for Jensen? A 2nd + Bryson? Adding Ryan Johnson's rights starts to sound like an overpay.

Also we'd have to waive one of Krebs, Quinn, Peterka, Sammy, Power or UPL--although on paper only and something we're likely to do anyway so they're eligible for the AHL playoffs--to make room assuming we execute the trade Friday before the deadline. If we executed it before then, we'd have to send one to Rochester until Saturday.

If a trade happens on Friday not one single player has to be waived to make room for him on the active roster.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

What I heard from Granato is that he brings attributes they don’t have a lot of on the back end.  I don’t want to misquote meatballs but essentially he was alluding to Riley’s physical play.  

For my money, having an adult sized human on the back end that can play the body and hold his own is a major upgrade over teenie Bryson and his limited offensive game. 

Now we get to see if Stillman’s physical play outweighs deficiencies.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, inkman said:

What I heard from Granato is that he brings attributes they don’t have a lot of on the back end.  I don’t want to misquote meatballs but essentially he was alluding to Riley’s physical play.  

For my money, having an adult sized human on the back end that can play the body and hold his own is a major upgrade over teenie Bryson and his limited offensive game. 

Now we get to see if Stillman’s physical play outweighs deficiencies.  

Pretty much this; they are hoping to get the Stillman from 2/3 years ago back and use his physicality when needed as a 6/7. 

Hate the trade at this time but I do understand a bit more now about their motives. 

KA is more or less saying Clague and Bryson are on thin ice and that he definitely sees a deficiency there. He's also believes his struggles aren't a reflection of his off-ice persona and thus not a potential problem in that regard. While he certainly overpaid; its not as if he paid a 1st for him. Or pulled a Murray and traded 2 2nds + for a AHL fighter and a prospect.

He's hoping to get another Jost; a player who has some talent that is in a spiral but still young and potentially salvageable. 

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

All I know for sure is Canucks fans seem really happy with this trade and most of them don't even know (or care) who Bloom is. That kind of says it all to me. 

The Canucks are a disaster in their own end, even worse than the Sabres. They also have zero prospects so of course they’re happy. Bloom was never gonna make it in the Sabres. We are too good now.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s what worries me.  

He’s an upgrade, in as much as he brings things the other 6/7/8 Dmen don’t bring.  Physical play.  If you don’t value that then I suppose you could be right although I’ve seen little out of Clague and Bryson to make me think Stillman can’t do exactly what they did but actually hit people as well. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.