The Dahlin Contract

GASabresIUFAN

24 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Dahlin. Assuming he signs for 7 or 8 years …

Give or take ….

”steal” anything under 9.4 mil per

”fair” anything from 9.5 to 11 per

”a lot” anything over 11.1 per

At least That’s how I see it 

I think you could walk that “steal” number right up to anything under $10M tbh

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

It's gonna be 12.

I don’t think it will hit 12.  

GMKA is going to sit him down and say “yes Rasmus, you are without a doubt a $12M+ dollar player any day of the week, but we want this team to be a cup contender for the next decade and managing the cap like Tampa Bay does will get us there.  This deal will give you the best chance of skating that cup around the rink at least once, but hopefully multiple times.”

Dahlin will look up with his blue eyes and blond hair flowing magnificently in the wind (which is weird because they are indoors) and say “you had me at cup contender for a decade.”

Make it happen GMKA. 

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

GMKA is going to sit him down and say “yes Rasmus, you are without a doubt a $12M+ dollar player any day of the week, but we want this team to be a cup contender for the next decade and managing the cap like Tampa Bay does will get us there.  This deal will give you the best chance of skating that cup around the rink at least once, but hopefully multiple times.”

Dahlin will look up with his blue eyes and blond hair flowing magnificently in the wind (which is weird because they are indoors) and say “you had me at cup contender for a decade.”

Make it happen GMKA. 

I hope you're right--I hope that Dahlin values glory over money--but Karlsson came in at 11.5M while older.  I think the price for the league's best defenseman has been set, and I do think Dahlin is the league's best defenseman now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Make it happen GMKA. 

There is a pedestal fan in the corner because it’s stuffy in the office in the summer. So, not so weird….

I like the cut of your jib 

• Haha (+1) 3

Si Dahlin a signé un contrat pont, c’était qu’il misait sur lui et surtout que Buffalo ne voulait pas le payer.

Dahlin a gagné. Il va demander 100 millions pour 8 ans.

Si Buffalo ne veut pas encore le payer, il va encore signer un contrat pont de 3 ans et 9.5 millions.

Ensuite il ne jouera plus à Buffalo! Car il va demander 20 millions lorsqu’il aura son autonomie complète.

2 minutes ago, LHSN1965 said:

Si Dahlin a signé un contrat pont, c’était qu’il misait sur lui et surtout que Buffalo ne voulait pas le payer.

Si Buffalo ne veut pas encore le payer, il va encore signer un contrat pont de 3 ans et 9.5 millions.

Ensuite il ne jouera plus à Buffalo! Car il va demander 20 millions lorsqu’il aura son autonomie complète.

… and in English?

6 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Dahlin. Assuming he signs for 7 or 8 years …

Give or take ….

”steal” anything under 9.4 mil per

”fair” anything from 9.5 to 11 per

”a lot” anything over 11.1 per

At least That’s how I see it 

Déjà vu 

10 minutes ago, LHSN1965 said:

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

… and in English?

“If Dahlin signed a bridge contract, it was because he was betting on him and especially because Buffalo did not want to pay him.

Dahlin won. He's going to ask for 100 million for 8 years.

If Buffalo does not want to pay him yet, he will still sign a bridge contract for 3 years and 9.5 million.

Then he won't play in Buffalo anymore! Because he will ask for 20 million when he has full autonomy.“

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LHSN1965 said:

Kanpai!!

29 minutes ago, LHSN1965 said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9521325d024c5714ffbe

• Haha (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

… and in English?

Thanks Google.

"If Dahlin signed a bridge contract, it was because he was betting on him and especially because Buffalo did not want to pay him. Dahlin won. He's going to ask for 100 million for 8 years. If Buffalo does not want to pay him yet, he will still sign a bridge contract for 3 years and 9.5 million. Then he won't play in Buffalo anymore! Because he will ask for 20 million when he has full autonomy."

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

John Carlson who has scored over 70 points 3 times makes $8 million.

Victor Hedman makes $7.875 million per season.

Aaron Ekblad makes  $7.5 million per season. 

I don’t think it is unreasonable for Dahlin to make under $10 million per season. Maybe $9-9.5 million.

John Carlson signed 5 years ago, and his highest point total was 68 at the time of signing. Dahlin might top 90 this year. In addition Carlson was *28* at time of deal and Dahlin is 22. Frankly, Carlson getting that deal, when he did is as much an argument for Dahlin deserving to bump that up by AT LEAST 2 million than anything. 

Hedman’s deal was 7 years ago, that’s an eternity by way of contract upscaling. He did take 10% of the cap his first season, whereas if Dahlin gets 10 mil, he’ll be taking about 11%. If we’d like to see Dahlin come in at the same % he’d come in at 8-something a season. Can’t see it personally. 

Ekblad is just a bad comp, I know you aren’t saying he’s Dahlin but the comparables here are miles apart. He signed off his ELC 7 years ago for 7.5 per after a career high 36 points. On a per point basis that would track Dahlin for over 15 mil per. Yes, I know there’s more than points but clearly they were at way way different stages at time of deal. Maybe Power can get an Ekblad deal.

- - - 

I don’t think it would be “unreasonable” for Dahlin to come in at 9.5, I just think that to the best of my abilities to look at this objectively and pretend Dahlin isn’t a Sabre, I think I’d have to have the league’s probable best, but if not soon to be, defenseman making at least 10 million 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Thanks Google.

"If Dahlin signed a bridge contract, it was because he was betting on him and especially because Buffalo did not want to pay him. Dahlin won. He's going to ask for 100 million for 8 years. If Buffalo does not want to pay him yet, he will still sign a bridge contract for 3 years and 9.5 million. Then he won't play in Buffalo anymore! Because he will ask for 20 million when he has full autonomy."

Is this a article ? Because Dahlin doesn't sound like a guy that would be selfish like that 

For a 7-8 year deal, I would expect something in the $10-11M range.

A realistic argument could possibly be made that he “deserves” to be the highest paid D in the league at $12M, based on the number of RFA years he has left, his age, and his expected play over the next 7-8 years, but I don’t think he will push for that.

If he signs a 7-8 year deal for anything under $10M, it’s a huge favor to the organization, and we should love him for it.

I think he will sign a 7-8 year deal this offseason.  I’m currently projecting it at $11M AAV.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Is this a article ? Because Dahlin doesn't sound like a guy that would be selfish like that 

He’s not gonna to ask for 20 million and I don’t think he asks for 12.5 like also mentioned above but there’s definitely nothing “selfish” about an individual employee asking to be paid their actual worth from their corporate bosses, especially considering the injury risks and his short careers tends to be. I really dislike this implication that players are selfish for wanting to be paid accurately and that they somehow owe something to tune of willfully taking less. It’s corporate bs.

There’s nothing wrong with a player taking a bit less than they could get, not saying that either. Of course not. But it’s not owed. It’s not a “selfish or not” proposition 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

For a 7-8 year deal, I would expect something in the $10-11M range.

A realistic argument could possibly be made that he “deserves” to be the highest paid D in the league at $12M, based on the number of RFA years he has left, his age, and his expected play over the next 7-8 years, but I don’t think he will push for that.

If he signs a 7-8 year deal for anything under $10M, it’s a huge favor to the organization, and we should love him for it.

I think he will sign a 7-8 year deal this offseason.  I’m currently projecting it at $11M AAV.

I agree with this analysis to a T. 

But somehow at this point I do for see him taking a shave under 10. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I agree with this analysis to a T. 

But somehow at this point I do for see him taking a shave under 10. 

I mean, maybe, but under 10 for him would be a conscious decision on his part to happily “settle” for that as opposed to leveraging his open market value to maximize earnings.

It could happen, and it would be awesome, but everyone needs to realize that it’s not really a reasonable expectation.

Il y a 21 minutes, Buffalonill a déclaré :

Est-ce un article ? Parce que Dahlin ne ressemble pas à un gars qui serait égoïste comme ça

Dahlin est le meilleur défenseur de la NHL.

je me demande pourquoi Buffalo n’a pas voulu lui donner ce qu’il voulait en 2021? Dahlin a dû se contenter d’un contrat pont.

translation:

Dahlin is the best defenseman in the NHL. I wonder why Buffalo wouldn't give him what he wanted in 2021? Dahlin had to settle for a bridge contract.

5 minutes ago, LHSN1965 said:

Dahlin est le meilleur défenseur de la NHL.

je me demande pourquoi Buffalo n’a pas voulu lui donner ce qu’il voulait en 2021? Dahlin a dû se contenter d’un contrat pont.

translation:

Dahlin is the best defenseman in the NHL. I wonder why Buffalo wouldn't give him what he wanted in 2021? Dahlin had to settle for a bridge contract.

Probably because for much of 2020 and 2021 he played like doggy doo.

He often looked like a very talented hockey player who didn’t have a clue how he was supposed to be playing out there.  I chalk it up to him being 19-20 and the coaching staff giving him terrible direction.

Everyone knows how he is supposed to be playing now.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

I mean, maybe, but under 10 for him would be a conscious decision on his part to happily “settle” for that as opposed to leveraging his open market value to maximize earnings.

It could happen, and it would be awesome, but everyone needs to realize that it’s not really a reasonable expectation.

This is exactly what I’ve been saying for a year up until the last couple days haha 

Every data point and logical comparison points to a rather easy 10+.

Just a feeling I guess. This organization is proving to be exceptional at messaging and PR and clearly has invested a lot on that front, social media etc coming out of COVID. Anyone can look at their official twitter and see the changes. 

Dahlin with the letter to the fans...9.95 is 10, lets be real, but an insignificant change to what he takes home will have a non-insignificant impression on the fan base. If they are even *close* to a flat 10 in negotiations I see them being smart enough to get that decimal in there at this point 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.