Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

I would hate that I would have to love him.

What would I pay?  I’m wondering what Wash would target?  Their deadline seemed pretty schizophrenic.  Can’t tell if they are selling for a rebuild, or trying to rework the team for next season.

Mitts would be in play.  As would VO, but I don’t see where Wash would be interested in VO.  I don’t know that I’d be upset if it ended up JJP.

I wasn't ready to move VO this last year. With the youth movement in force, they weren't going to go out and get a rental or high-priced UFA, so VO was a good mid-6 scorer. AND yes, because he started the season on the top line for Tuch to spread out the scoring, I did select VO as the team's leading scorer this year, I admit it and I'm fine with it (outscoring TNT by about 2 points). And this team would've been in full "Sell Mode" 2 weeks ago if not for VO's 20+ goals. Hino and Okposo filling in his time on the PP or 3rd line and they don't replicate the goals that helped win games that VO provided.

All that said, I've seen enough from Quinn this season. And I think that Rousek can be Hino and I believe that Kulich can be a 4W and provide some PP2 sniping next season.

VO is not a playoff guy, so I'm not sure of his value at the deadline. But for a team that needs secondary scoring, I can move him during draft day and thank him immensely for his time in the Sabres system and congratulate on going from a 7th to a legit NHL scorer.

7 minutes ago, Night Train said:

So I'm guessing KA is saving the extra picks and specific players as trade chips for draft weekend ?  

As I said in another thread, I'm ok with that.  Does that suck for the next 20 games, yes, but you may have a lot more/better options in the offseason, with a full training camp to integrate whatever you trade for.

Right now you are bidding against other team who are desperate to keep up in the 2022-2023 season arms race. They are making deals with the bottom teams to retain salary just to make things work.  In the offseason, its possible those teams that are squeezing things in now will be looking to dump players (useful players) at that time, and the costs could be a lot lower and you will have more of a selection. The playoffs are looking like a long(er) shot now, but with Dahlin coming back, 1 or 2 unexpected wins in the next week or so puts them right back into it.  

Personally, I understand that some fans just want to get in the playoffs at all cost. Thats not me.  I'm Ok with a longer rebuild....I actually enjoy the roster building, the discussion about it...almost as much as I like the games.  I just think potentially more can be done at a lesser cost in the offseason than you can do right now.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

As I said in another thread, I'm ok with that.  Does that suck for the next 20 games, yes, but you may have a lot more/better options in the offseason, with a full training camp to integrate whatever you trade for.

Right now you are bidding against other team who are desperate to keep up in the 2022-2023 season arms race. They are making deals with the bottom teams to retain salary just to make things work.  In the offseason, its possible those teams that are squeezing things in now will be looking to dump players (useful players) at that time, and the costs could be a lot lower and you will have more of a selection. The playoffs are looking like a long(er) shot now, but with Dahlin coming back, 1 or 2 unexpected wins in the next week or so puts them right back into it.  

Personally, I understand that some fans just want to get in the playoffs at all cost. Thats not me.  I'm Ok with a longer rebuild....I actually enjoy the roster building, the discussion about it...almost as much as I like the games.  I just think potentially more can be done at a lesser cost in the offseason than you can do right now.

How much longer? I'd like to be alive to see one more playoff series

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There’s been a lot of smoke that KA has been attempting to be in the mix for a few of these deals. To me the take that that means he’s open to improvement is significantly more hopeful and positive than her other side of the coin I’ve seen being argued that KA just simply hasn’t been that interested and if he was he’d have assuredly gotten his guy

If we believe the expectation is playoffs next season, I can’t personally  come up with an argument for how we could, in good faith, enter into next season with UPL and Comrie 

This is a good point and I agree.

I think we are seeing that Adams is very stubborn to not pay prices above what he believes is acceptable.  At least in situations where he doesn’t see the team as an actual cup contender.

I see that as a bit of a double edged sword.  Seems he will rarely get the raw end of a trade, but also frustrate the fans at times.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, nucci said:

How much longer? I'd like to be alive to see one more playoff series

Next year. Besides not only do I think there is a much better chance of getting better players/better value (as per my prior post) in the offseason, I also don't beleive making a move now would guarantee the playoffs. As the way things stand, maybe they have a 25% chance of making it now. Even with a move, with Tuch out and Dahlin missing a few games, what would a trade do, move the needle to 35%?  I don't know, but its not like if they don't make a move they are out for sure, and if they did make a move they would be in for sure.

Edited by mjd1001

19 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is a good point and I agree.

I think we are seeing that Adams is very stubborn to not pay prices above what he believes is acceptable.  At least in situations where he doesn’t see the team as an actual cup contender.

I see that as a bit of a double edged sword.  Seems he will rarely get the raw end of a trade, but also frustrate the fans at times.

agree. very principled. the Batman of GMs, I guess

Im good with the strategy. The proof is in the pudding - as long as the results are trending the way we want, my only conclusion can be that his process is leading to significantly more good decisions than bad. 

Of course, the expectations change next season

it'll be interesting to see what Adams feels he needs to do this summer to ensure our trend line continues in the way it needs to 

20 minutes ago, freester said:

We got Jordan Greenway. 

We got him? We got Matt Irwin Jordan Greenway?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.