GDT - Seattle @ Buffalo - January 10, 2023 - 7:00 PM (EST) - MSG and WGR

matter2003

11 minutes ago, nucci said:

Didn't know he was sick but ended up waiving Fitzgerald to being him up. My point is right now he's our best goalie and should play majority of games if we are to make the playoffs

No, they waived Fitzgerald to make room for Jokiharju.

It appears, and as usual @Brawndo had the scoop, that the Sabres will be getting UPL into games by having one of him, Quinn, or Peterka technically sent down to Ra-cha-cha so there are only 23 active players on the roster.  It will necessarily make 1 of the 3 a healthy scratch on game nights.

When the Sabres suffer the inevitable injury at F (or in net) that scramble will cease.  No data on whether if Quinn & Peterka both start playing like they did a month ago & all Sabres are still healthy if the rotation will cease & Hinostroza or Asplund will find themselves headed to Ra-cha-cha or elsewhere.  Guess they'll cross that bridge when they get there.

Edited by Taro T

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Why are you and several so worried about them being expansion team? This isn’t the 70’s.  It’s an advantage to be an expansion team over a tear down and rebuild.   Look at the veterans on this team, a few have SC rings.  There is a salary cap, teams cannot stockpile all the best players.  Vegas went to Cup final their first year.  

What’s a salary cap? I knew teams were required to spend  to a salary floor.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So the Sabres don't want to win is that it? 

I honestly don't get it. Right when I was starting to believe they were on to something they think hey, let's take the goalie that's on a hot win streak and send him down to the minors, let's scrap our exciting energetic 2nd line and saddle our second best center with 2 scrubs, that's the ticket. Become a one line hockey team again, what could go wrong with that plan? 

It just didn't feel the same any more. It felt like the old.

I don't get Dahlin's big hit at the end either. Was that payback for something I missed? It made no sense. I like a solid hitting D man, but you throw a few of those at the beginning of the game to set the tone and make their forwards think twice. What's the point with 30 seconds left? It was a Risto type move. 

Seattle played a bad hockey game by their usual standards and still coasted to a win. Absolute rubbish top to bottom. 

Not sure about your take on that energetic line. They have done very little over the last 10 games. JJP has looked sketchy and Quinn has looked downright bad at times.

I agree on Dahlin, though. Where was that hit in the first period.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

The Sabres were good pretty quickly after being an expansion team

For the 70’s the Sabres and islanders got good fast.   That is about it.  Vancouver, Atlanta, Washington, KC, Colorado, NJ, and Cleveland - they all struggled for quite awhile or they died completely.  

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

There was a time when expansions teams were sentenced to many years of losing. 

You managed to have the Sabres in the playoff in year 3 and the final in year 5.  Not to shabby for an expansion team.

The Islanders won 4 cups in a row starting in their 6th year in the league.

Saint Louis was in the final their first 3 years.

The dastardly Flyers won 2 cups in year 8 and 9.

Florida was in the final in year 3.

The rest not so great, but being an expansion team did not mean you were facing years of losing.

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So the Sabres don't want to win is that it? 

I honestly don't get it. Right when I was starting to believe they were on to something they think hey, let's take the goalie that's on a hot win streak and send him down to the minors, let's scrap our exciting energetic 2nd line and saddle our second best center with 2 scrubs, that's the ticket. Become a one line hockey team again, what could go wrong with that plan? 

It just didn't feel the same any more. It felt like the old.

I don't get Dahlin's big hit at the end either. Was that payback for something I missed? It made no sense. I like a solid hitting D man, but you throw a few of those at the beginning of the game to set the tone and make their forwards think twice. What's the point with 30 seconds left? It was a Risto type move. 

Seattle played a bad hockey game by their usual standards and still coasted to a win. Absolute rubbish top to bottom. 

You need to get the facts.  

UPL -   It was his start.   He was sick.   

The exciting energetic line has not been scoring or contributing.  Quinn and Peterka were becoming overwhelmed and a defensive liability, they were sitting most of the 3rd periods, even in the win streak.  Cozens points are coming from the PP and from playing extra shifts with other wingers.   What was wrong with changing a few rookie players with players with more experience?  Especially after the terrible Philly game.  

You complain about no hitting, then Dahlin levels a tough guy, and you complain about that.   Tanev is an instigator and he got leveled cleanly.  Did you see his ***** with Skinner?   Dahlin and Tanev went at it last game too.  After all your comments and complaints about hitting, I find this one to be bizzare.  

Seattle did not play bad hockey or coast.   They were brilliant for ten minutes in the 3rd, scored two, and then they hung in for  dear life.  Both teams were on back to back games, and both played hard to the very end, and both were exhausted.  Seattle got some fortunate bounces and some huge saves  - and the Sabres did not.  

Are you watching the games?   Are you keeping up with roster moves?   It appears you are looking for reasons to complain.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The biggest problem with the team is they are NON PHYSICAL! We cannot handle physical teams, especially ones that forecheck hard. Bush sucks and is now a liability and you do not want your best defenseman running around trying to lay people out. We will not win against the Jets and Preds as they are both physical heavy forechecking teams. We will play well as they can but we are a talent based team, not a physical team. Need to find that middle ground of talent and physicality. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Never thought I’d see the day fans of essentially a no hitting team would lament the fact one of our guys layed out a big clean bodycheck. First minute, last minute who cares. Get your licks in because the other side won’t hesitate. Dahlins message every time he hits someone is I deserve space and respect and I will do what it takes to get that. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

The biggest problem with the team is they are NON PHYSICAL! We cannot handle physical teams, especially ones that forecheck hard. Bush sucks and is now a liability and you do not want your best defenseman running around trying to lay people out. We will not win against the Jets and Preds as they are both physical heavy forechecking teams. We will play well as they can but we are a talent based team, not a physical team. Need to find that middle ground of talent and physicality. 

You complain about the team being "non physical", then you complain about which player is actually playing physical.  I don't disagree with the notion that the team make up is not that of a physical hard hitting team.  

You said, and I quote, "You don't want your best defenseman running around and trying to lay people out".    What about Pronger, and Chara. and Stevens - should they have been told not to check?   They were their teams best defenseman after all.     

Which players on the Sabres are allowed to check?  Provide a list and maybe Donnie can put a little piece of tape on their helmet so he can remember which players to put in the game when we decide it is ok to check someone.  

13 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Never thought I’d see the day fans of essentially a no hitting team would lament the fact one of our guys layed out a big clean bodycheck. First minute, last minute who cares. Get your licks in because the other side won’t hesitate. Dahlins message every time he hits someone is I deserve space and respect and I will do what it takes to get that. 

Thank you voice of reason.   And who the heck knows what stuff Tanev was pulling out there.  He is a pest.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Besides 26 who else is physical 

No one.  Samuelsson is not very physical so far, and neither is Power as of yet.  That doesn't mean that won't change.   It took Dahlin a few years of getting pushed around for him to push back.  

When they finally add another defenseman they better add a veteran with both a mobile and a physical aspect to his game.   I am looking for a significant upgrade, someone that can play with Power and help him get better.  I do not expect to find such a player right now during the season. Why would a team part with a player like that unless they were rebuilding?  If they are rebuilding they are going to ask for a lot.  

Get this match for Power, then we can play Joker and Luby on the 3rd pair.  Joker has good skills and Lubey has grit, that would be a decent 3rd pair.  

Joker played pretty good last night for his first game back.  DG played in the very first shift, basically saying this is big game, get the rust off fast.  

49 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I do. First minute would have had way more effect on the outcome of last night’s game.

Last minute just looks like sour grapes.

Not unlike the Florida game we also lost.

Edited by SwampD

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

No one.  Samuelsson is not very physical so far, and neither is Power as of yet.  That doesn't mean that won't change.   It took Dahlin a few years of getting pushed around for him to push back.  

When they finally add another defenseman they better add a veteran with both a mobile and a physical aspect to his game.   I am looking for a significant upgrade, someone that can play with Power and help him get better.  I do not expect to find such a player right now during the season. Why would a team part with a player like that unless they were rebuilding?  If they are rebuilding they are going to ask for a lot.  

Get this match for Power, then we can play Joker and Luby on the 3rd pair.  Joker has good skills and Lubey has grit, that would be a decent 3rd pair.  

Joker played pretty good last night for his first game back.  DG played in the very first shift, basically saying this is big game, get the rust off fast.  

Samuelsson leads the team in hits I believe.... actually Dahlin leads again

Dahlin has 58 hits

Samuelsson has 57 hits

Bush has 50 hits

Our 1st forward is Girgensons with 42

then Krebs at 39

Okposo at 35

Cozens at 31

Now part of that is thanks to the Buffalo stats guy having some absurd requirements to count a hit but we are definitely on the softer side overall.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/individual/?selectedTable=0&sortStatId=HITS&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAL_8bMgDV9krnJzE4tvb2_VY8F5kU0c2Xb7RQl1Q0YzczCmtbHf2HgrCV312SJTrDQDxuskum0nCBeLju5qigCfz1yerhJI-6BjAE0iLEiCL02F9rpdviipR9HALr3_Cmg-tGh2licOdeJDBdUvqNvef8wbx4WyhuKYXrDUE_ed7&positionIds=DEFENSE&leagueStructure=

Nice table with league hits

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

The biggest problem with the team is the AHL goaltending.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, onthewarpath said:

Paul Hamilton and The GR post game can defend .817 save % Comrie all they want.  The first goal was hot garbage.  The puck was deflected 10 feet in front of Comrie who had as clear a look as you could want.  Further, it was slow, but not as slow as Comrie's awful reaction time.  The 4th goal was also trash.  Meanwhile, the Kraken goalie makes a blocker save on a Tage one timer.  Good NHL goalies make great saves routinely.  That's what they do.  It's what UPL did for about 6 games in row.  It's what Anderson has done in most of his starts this season.  

We scored 3.

We outplayed Seattle.

We gave up a whooping 22 shots.

We lost. 

F U, Comrie.  I don't want to see this bum polluting our net anymore.

They had 22 shots but 15 were scored as high danger chances for the Kraken.   The Sabres, with all their shots and all their firepower, had 12 high danger chances. 

The Kraken were allowed to play in the slot, near the crease, and in places where the dirty goals are.  Just like the Flyers did the night before when UPL gave up 4 to a weak offensive team.  

Comrie's first game back was not great, but not bad either.   I see nothing with him that makes me think we found a #1, he will probably be the backup next season.    Sure, we could have used a few big saves, but he is not the reason they lost.  The Sabres win and lose as a team.  They are a team that is not very steady in their own zone.   

• Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You complain about the team being "non physical", then you complain about which player is actually playing physical.  I don't disagree with the notion that the team make up is not that of a physical hard hitting team.  on you..

You said, and I quote, "You don't want your best defenseman running around and trying to lay people out".    What about Pronger, and Chara. and Stevens - should they have been told not to check?   They were their teams best defenseman after all.     

Which players on the Sabres are allowed to check?  Provide a list and maybe Donnie can put a little piece of tape on their helmet so he can remember which players to put in the game when we decide it is ok to check someone.  

Thank you voice of reason.   And who the heck knows what stuff Tanev was pulling out there.  He is a pest.  

I think that point zoomed on you, let me clarify. Dahlin is NOT a physical defenseman, he is a playmaker. You would expect more of that from Bushman and Muel. Pronger and Chara were VERY physical dmen. If our team is going to rely on Dahlin to be their physicality, then we are in trouble. I AM happy when I see a great hit, no matter who on the team is doing it, but would like to see players on this team more like Pronger and or Chara, and hell maybe a forward or two that can do it REGULARLY, not once in a blue moon. We need our physical pest.

14 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

I think that point zoomed on you, let me clarify. Dahlin is NOT a physical defenseman, he is a playmaker. You would expect more of that from Bushman and Muel. Pronger and Chara were VERY physical dmen. If our team is going to rely on Dahlin to be their physicality, then we are in trouble. I AM happy when I see a great hit, no matter who on the team is doing it, but would like to see players on this team more like Pronger and or Chara, and hell maybe a forward or two that can do it REGULARLY, not once in a blue moon. We need our physical pest.

Players like Chara and Pronger, there are a few each decade.  Pronger was considered somewhat of a bust until he went to St Louis.  Then he physically matured and got mean.   Chara was traded. 

There are bunches of big, slow, low skilled guys out there that are tough guy.   They can stand around and push people around but they will probably give up goals and slow down our transition game too.  

We have Dahlin who is a playmaker first, and he is also our best defensive defenseman, and the one most likely to lose his cool and push back.   He is our best player overall.  

Muel had about 50 NHL games in before this season.  He is doing great s far.  It would be good to see him use his size and strength more when things get rough.   He probably will.  

Power is a rookie.  He just turned 20 in November, so still a boy playing with men.  He is a big skill first player with huge upside.  We just have to see if and when he decides to get nasty.  His frame can carry a lot more muscle.   When you were 19, how many 24 to 32 year old athletes did you want to fight?   Be honest.  

Yes, we still need a physical pest or two.  One may be there and just not ready yet.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They had 22 shots but 15 were scored as high danger chances for the Kraken.   The Sabres, with all their shots and all their firepower, had 12 high danger chances. 

The Kraken were allowed to play in the slot, near the crease, and in places where the dirty goals are.  Just like the Flyers did the night before when UPL gave up 4 to a weak offensive team.  

Comrie's first game back was not great, but not bad either.   I see nothing with him that makes me think we found a #1, he will probably be the backup next season.    Sure, we could have used a few big saves, but he is not the reason they lost.  The Sabres win and lose as a team.  They are a team that is not very steady in their own zone.   

That third goal,… I still can’t fathom just how bad the defense was on that play. It was five on five, and Matty Beniers is left all alone on Comrie. Almost in the crease. WTF?! It’s impossible to blame hime for that goal.

IMG_0519.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

We lost due to some big defensive blunders and sub par goaltending. I don’t think small forwards are the problem, it’s unimposing defenseman. That’s what lost us to Ottawa and Philly. This game Lyubu got blown by, which is what you’re going to get sometimes with him. Him paired with Clague is still a huge weakness. Comrie just isn’t that good. If the offense is struggling, like they were this game, can’t have both defense and goalie also fail you. And the offense still scored 3 goals. 

I really disliked the power play though. Skinner is getting too many touches and the guy is a turnover guru

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

After years of Dahlin being targeted and not having the muscle mass or experience to respond, I love that he's dishing it out and I hope that he continues to do so.  He's setting the example for the rest of the team to follow.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

We lost due to some big defensive blunders and sub par goaltending. I don’t think small forwards are the problem, it’s unimposing defenseman. That’s what lost us to Ottawa and Philly. This game Lyubu got blown by, which is what you’re going to get sometimes with him. Him paired with Clague is still a huge weakness. Comrie just isn’t that good. If the offense is struggling, like they were this game, can’t have both defense and goalie also fail you. And the offense still scored 3 goals. 

I really disliked the power play though. Skinner is getting too many touches and the guy is a turnover guru

That seems to be the narrative a lot, but our goaltending wasn't the issue.  Well it is if you look at SV % alone.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

My eyes tell me otherwise.

Tanev is an agitator. Dahlin took a number and made him pay when the opportunity presented itself, without taking himself out of the play or taking a penalty.

You know, textbook tough but disciplined hockey, like coaches have preached since the first freeze and exactly what a segment of this board cries for at the slightest opportunity?

The Sabres didn’t lose that game because the Kraken are tougher, or better. They lost it because the Kraken converted their chances and the Sabres didn’t.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Sabres need size as well

200.gif

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Tanev is an agitator. Dahlin took a number and made him pay when the opportunity presented itself, without taking himself out of the play or taking a penalty.

You know, textbook tough but disciplined hockey, like coaches have preached since the first freeze and exactly what a segment of this board cries for at the slightest opportunity?

The Sabres didn’t lose that game because the Kraken are tougher, or better. They lost it because the Kraken converted their chances and the Sabres didn’t.

Sister Act Reaction GIF

Edited by LGR4GM

3 hours ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

Just want to save this for later. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Well, I must say Borgen imposed his will on the Sabres. He was the reason why they won. 😂

Seriously …. It doesn’t matter who is in net. Comrie, Anderson or UPL. This team is giving up 3+ goals a game. It’s almost a lock. If the opposition limits the Sabres to “only” 3 goals, chances are great … they will win.

The team doesn’t need to “get bigger” this team doesn’t need to get Reeves or someone like him. 

We def need more talent and if that talent is bigger I wouldn't complain but the talent part is the true key. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.