GDT - Seattle @ Buffalo - January 10, 2023 - 7:00 PM (EST) - MSG and WGR

matter2003

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We def need more talent and if that talent is bigger I wouldn't complain but the talent part is the true key. 

The Sabre's talent needs further development more than anything else. 

It seems like posters here with the first whiff of a weakness on the Sabres or God forbid a loss, immediately start claiming that the sky is falling. This is a young team with tons of skill that is still in the development process. The Sabres may or may not make the playoffs but if they do make them they're most likely not going very far this year. GMKA & HCDG are on the same page and it appears that their goal, along with ownership is to build a team that will be in Cup contention for a long time. This is the kind of rebuilding that excites me. I don't need the hockey people making decisions that are nothing more than shortcuts to just good enough results that will save them their jobs. We're lucky to have ownership that finally realized that you can't build long term success with one year contracts to the likes of Taylor Hall.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We def need more talent and if that talent is bigger I wouldn't complain but the talent part is the true key. 

Talent does not need to be bigger, just more physical and tenacious. I would not mind another more physical defensive dman. Hoping that Power turns more physical as he gains some strength.  Bush needs become a 7th D as he has been terrible on all aspects since he has came back. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

The Sabre's talent needs further development more than anything else. 

It seems like posters here with the first whiff of a weakness on the Sabres or God forbid a loss, immediately start claiming that the sky is falling. This is a young team with tons of skill that is still in the development process. The Sabres may or may not make the playoffs but if they do make them they're most likely not going very far this year. GMKA & HCDG are on the same page and it appears that their goal, along with ownership is to build a team that will be in Cup contention for a long time. This is the kind of rebuilding that excites me. I don't need the hockey people making decisions that are nothing more than shortcuts to just good enough results that will save them their jobs. We're lucky to have ownership that finally realized that you can't build long term success with one year contracts to the likes of Taylor Hall.

Do not think this is the first whiff of weakness. Lack of physicality has been here for years. Now, to be fair, as some have said, we "may" have that in house as the kids get stronger, but from first glances, i do not see it as of yet. 

Definitely agree on building long term, but, the team is close to making the playoffs, and any experience we can give the team the better. I am sure we can solve some the needs now without mortgaging the farm. 

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

Not sure about your take on that energetic line. They have done very little over the last 10 games. JJP has looked sketchy and Quinn has looked downright bad at times.

I agree on Dahlin, though. Where was that hit in the first period.

I'm not trying to say they have been all that, but they weren't responsible for the loss to Philly either. I was never in favour of an all kid plan but that was pretty much what the Sabres went with. The team had team chemistry though. There was a youthful energy all over. Sure there were flaws, but it was working. Why dismantle it for 2 guys who are marginal NHLers at best? 

You make a plan you stick to it. That's why it's a plan. I think this has lost them their mojo and it'll be hard to get back on track for a while.  

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

You need to get the facts.  

UPL -   It was his start.   He was sick.   

The exciting energetic line has not been scoring or contributing.  Quinn and Peterka were becoming overwhelmed and a defensive liability, they were sitting most of the 3rd periods, even in the win streak.  Cozens points are coming from the PP and from playing extra shifts with other wingers.   What was wrong with changing a few rookie players with players with more experience?  Especially after the terrible Philly game.  

You complain about no hitting, then Dahlin levels a tough guy, and you complain about that.   Tanev is an instigator and he got leveled cleanly.  Did you see his ***** with Skinner?   Dahlin and Tanev went at it last game too.  After all your comments and complaints about hitting, I find this one to be bizzare.  

Seattle did not play bad hockey or coast.   They were brilliant for ten minutes in the 3rd, scored two, and then they hung in for  dear life.  Both teams were on back to back games, and both played hard to the very end, and both were exhausted.  Seattle got some fortunate bounces and some huge saves  - and the Sabres did not.  

Are you watching the games?   Are you keeping up with roster moves?   It appears you are looking for reasons to complain.   

First off don't bold at me. 

Facts:  (lmfao "facts")

- they are rookies, they are flawed, they have defensive weaknesses. Yes. Not kidding. What a revelation. But that was the plan and the plan was working. The team had energy and enthusiasm. What exactly did your 2 more experienced players bring? Nothing. 

- I said why start hitting with 30 seconds left? Bring it in the FIRST PERIOD. Understand the difference?

- Seattle was way off their usual game. I've been watching them all year. Many times after Sabres games (I'm on the west coast remember), If you think they were playing well your bar is Sabres level low. They looked tired and road worn in this one. They are normally faster, tougher, and far more energetic. They beat the Sabres with their B or at times C game, not their A game. You thinking it was bounces is laughable. 

- Lastly, no I don't watch any games. I'm a moron. I know nothing. Sabres are awesome man. We're number one. We're number one. USA! USA! Damn Punch, all those years in the grave have cost you............................. 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

Do not think this is the first whiff of weakness. Lack of physicality has been here for years. Now, to be fair, as some have said, we "may" have that in house as the kids get stronger, but from first glances, i do not see it as of yet. 

Definitely agree on building long term, but, the team is close to making the playoffs, and any experience we can give the team the better. I am sure we can solve some the needs now without mortgaging the farm. 

It's easy to talk the talk but skip the walk. Making the playoffs this year would be well, sorta nice. The Sabres are being built and developed as a high scoring speedy team that excites the fans and fills the seats. Their physicality doesn't need to be measured by hits on their opponents or goonish tactics. They need to beat the ***** out of their opponent by using their speed and hockey skills to embarrass and outscore them. I'm not saying that they should be wimps but there's a time and place for everything. Protecting teammates and paying back dirty hits should be a part of their game but done at a time of their choosing, not at the time some goon wants to draw them into an "even up" penalty. 

Talking about issues that have been around for years is futile unless they are not being addressed. One of the things I hear often is that the Sabres are not a physical team because they often get outhit. That's a statistic that may mean something or may mean nothing but without context is meaningless. 

47 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

- they are rookies, they are flawed, they have defensive weaknesses. Yes. Not kidding. What a revelation. But that was the plan and the plan was working. The team had energy and enthusiasm. What exactly did your 2 more experienced players bring? Nothing. 

- I said why start hitting with 30 seconds left? Bring it in the FIRST PERIOD. Understand the difference?

- Seattle was way off their usual game. I've been watching them all year. Many times after Sabres games (I'm on the west coast remember), If you think they were playing well your bar is Sabres level low. They looked tired and road worn in this one. They are normally faster, tougher, and far more energetic. They beat the Sabres with their B or at times C game, not their A game. You thinking it was bounces is laughable. 

- Lastly, no I don't watch any games. I'm a moron. I know nothing. Sabres are awesome man. We're number one. We're number one. USA! USA! Damn Punch, all those years in the grave have cost you............................. 

It's been awhile since he "doffed" his "beaver" "hat." He has reason to be grumpy.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

I think that point zoomed on you, let me clarify. Dahlin is NOT a physical defenseman, he is a playmaker. You would expect more of that from Bushman and Muel. Pronger and Chara were VERY physical dmen. If our team is going to rely on Dahlin to be their physicality, then we are in trouble. I AM happy when I see a great hit, no matter who on the team is doing it, but would like to see players on this team more like Pronger and or Chara, and hell maybe a forward or two that can do it REGULARLY, not once in a blue moon. We need our physical pest.

Actually would say that Dahlin is a playmaker that likes to play a physical game.  And he's been that way since at least Junior.  

He is NOT in the Phil Housley mold at all.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You came out guns blazing because Comrie played, as if UPL was the next coming of Dominik Hasek.  You had no facts as to why he played, even though it was explained yesterday before the game, and then again during the game - the game you say you watched, and I assume you watch it with the volume on?  

You are upset because Peterka and Quinn were sitting out.  They have been getting about 9 sheltered minutes a night -  and  with just so much energy and enthusiasm the coach isn't playing them a normal shift.  It was a back to back.  The seats from the press box will maybe light a fire under them.   

Sure, I would love to see the Sabres take the body more often and do it right from the start.  I think this aspect of their game is not there yet and that it needs to be if they are going to move up in the standings.   But you are constantly upset because they don't hit, then they hit, and now its too late in the game for you.   You are not out there. You don't know what's going on.   I am not going to blame Dahlin, or anyone else, for cleanly hitting  a pest like Tanev, a guy who throws late hits and after the whistle hits.  Especially Tanev.  

And stop making excuses for the Kraken team.  I am aware that the Kraken were on the road and on a back to back.  Both teams were on a back to back.  You think that was their B game, maybe it looked like it was their B game because we were also playing hard and we controlled the play at times?   Maybe that was it?  The score was 4-3.  The mighty Kraken were behind for large portions of the game and they did not run away with it once they took the lead.  Since New Years they have destroyed the Oilers (twice), the Islanders, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.  Buffalo played them tough right to the end and apparently that bothers you.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

59 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Actually would say that Dahlin is a playmaker that likes to play a physical game.  And he's been that way since at least Junior.  

He is NOT in the Phil Housley mold at all.

A friend and I were sitting in the reds at the Aud on one of the end scoreboards.  It was 1985 or 86.  A lady in the row behind us was shouting out Philip-this and Philip-that, but I never made the connection.  At one point in the game, my friend yelled at Housley to hit one of the opposing players with his purse.  That lady tore into us.  It was Phil's mom.

• Haha (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

A friend and I were sitting in the reds at the Aud on one of the end scoreboards.  It was 1985 or 86.  A lady in the row behind us was shouting out Philip-this and Philip-that, but I never made the connection.  At one point in the game, my friend yelled at Housley to hit one of the opposing players with his purse.  That lady tore into us.  It was Phil's mom.

Should of told her to loan her’s to him

🙂

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

Went to a Bisons game in New Orleans versus the Zephyrs 30 years ago.

The Bisons pitcher didn't have his stuff that day an they kept hemorrhaging runs for 4 or 5 innings.  There were only a couple hundred people at the game because nobody in rhe south goes to baseball games in April.  (Weather was perfect- low 70's, but the locals would "freeze" in that kind of weather.)  So, heckling the manager was definitely heard by him.

When the Zephyrs pitcher lost his stuff, he got yanked, and re-lit into the manager again.   "See, Doc, you are allowed to pull a guy that stinks."

Through all this, there was a woman sitting about 4 rows in front of us that kept shooting me dirty looks.  After rhe Bisons pitcher FINALLY ggot pulled, the woman disappeared.  Asked the lady next to me what the other woman's problem was.  Oh. Pretty sure she's the pitcher's wife.  Oops.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

They had 22 shots but 15 were scored as high danger chances for the Kraken.   The Sabres, with all their shots and all their firepower, had 12 high danger chances. 

The Kraken were allowed to play in the slot, near the crease, and in places where the dirty goals are.  Just like the Flyers did the night before when UPL gave up 4 to a weak offensive team.  

Comrie's first game back was not great, but not bad either.   I see nothing with him that makes me think we found a #1, he will probably be the backup next season.    Sure, we could have used a few big saves, but he is not the reason they lost.  The Sabres win and lose as a team.  They are a team that is not very steady in their own zone.   

First and foremost, high danger chances are subjective and usually compiled by truly awful websites like natural stat trick.  It's not nearly as big a joke as expected goals for, but it ain't great.  Do you know if they count the posts we hit as high danger chances?  Maybe, maybe not?  I was sitting 20 rows up in section 116 all night.  The Sabres were the better team, but they got Comried.  Goal 1 and goal 4 are saved by good goalies every night in the NHL.  Every night.  

Don't get me wrong, they also got Lyubushkined too.  He's been awful except for two hits he threw in the first week of the season.  Goaltending is so much more of a problem than bottom pair defense though.  Not that there's anything we can do about it except pray for UPL.  Comrie's career speaks for itself, and we don't have Hellebuyck to play 65 games.  If their plan is to have this bum around next season for 30 games, then they have learned nothing from 3 seasons of miserable goaltending (and that goaltending 100% costing us the playoffs this season, arguably last season too).   

But, hey, Matt Savoie will be here in 2 years.  That's important.

Edited by onthewarpath
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 1/10/2023 at 2:53 PM, Refuting said:

We already know what Hinistroza amd Asplund offer. Not much 

Best way to learn anything is to do it over and over again. What's a better way to learn or rebound than to be on the ice during an NHL game? 

The answer is nothing. Keep them on the ice 

The bold is the definition of insanity when the results remain the same. 

Sitting a game or two offers a chance to gain a different perspective. It’s a learning tool. 

It could also be used as another form of “Demonstrate” in the EDIP Principle.

Edited by SABRES 0311

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.