Sabres could become the first team since the 1947-48 Chicago Blackhawks to lead NHL in goals and miss the playoffs

matter2003

That team led the NHL in goals with 195 that year but game up 225, a -30 differential.  

The only team to miss the playoffs while leading the NHL in scoring and finishing with a positive net goal differential was the 1925-26 Boston Bruins who scored 92 goals(tied for 1st) and finished +7.  They missed the playoffs by a single point that year,.

All this means the Sabres are on pace to do something never seen before in the NHL since the modern era began and would be the first team in almost 100 years to miss the playoffs while leading the NHL in scoring and having a positive goal differential.

Not exactly the kind of history we want to be making. 

image.thumb.png.880cdf37a3c1180431629be4ec564595.png

image.thumb.png.ce1ff310b3bf1a705f5a8b718b76c4c9.png

• Like (+1) 1

My prediction is, down the stretch teams will focus more on defense and the goals per game will come down significantly, and with our inexperience and fire wagon style it will affect our team more than most others.  We won’t lead the league in scoring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

My prediction is, down the stretch teams will focus more on defense and the goals per game will come down significantly, and with our inexperience and fire wagon style it will affect our team more than most others.  We won’t lead the league in scoring.

Maybe, but these young players will also grow tremendously during that time, so there is an above average chance that will outpace anything other teams do to us.

Just now, matter2003 said:

Maybe, but these young players will also grow tremendously during that time, so there is an above average chance that will outpace anything other teams do to us.

Look at the scores against teams that are currently in playoff positions.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

The difference with this Sabre team is that the goal scoring is spread out throughout the other lines and on both PP units. What we are seeing now are teams are focusing on Tage, and trying to get him off his favored spot. The other lines and shooters are picking up the slack. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Look at the scores against teams that are currently in playoff positions.

They have just as many 4-5-6 goal games against those teams as they do 1-2-3 goal games.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The difference with this Sabre team is that the goal scoring is spread out throughout the other lines and on both PP units. What we are seeing now are teams are focusing on Tage, and trying to get him off his favored spot. The other lines and shooters are picking up the slack. 

Considering he is 3rd in the NHL in goals, it isn't working very well.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

That team led the NHL in goals with 195 that year but game up 225, a -30 differential.  

The only team to miss the playoffs while leading the NHL in scoring and finishing with a positive net goal differential was the 1925-26 Boston Bruins who scored 92 goals(tied for 1st) and finished +7.  They missed the playoffs by a single point that year,.

All this means the Sabres are on pace to do something never seen before in the NHL since the modern era began and would be the first team in almost 100 years to miss the playoffs while leading the NHL in scoring and having a positive goal differential.

Not exactly the kind of history we want to be making. 

image.thumb.png.880cdf37a3c1180431629be4ec564595.png

image.thumb.png.ce1ff310b3bf1a705f5a8b718b76c4c9.png

Makes you wonder why there is no urgency to fix the goaltending and defense.  It's clear that KA didn't expect the offense to breakout as it has and he was expecting another "development year" and wasn't and isn't prepared to fix the roster issues yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Makes you wonder why there is no urgency to fix the goaltending and defense.  It's clear that KA didn't expect the offense to breakout as it has and he was expecting another "development year" and wasn't and isn't prepared to fix the roster issues yet. 

I am done hoping for a goalie trade this year because it does not sound realistic.   I would like to hear options for fixing the goaltending this year.  Which teams are willing to trade a goalie now?  Who is that goalie?  Does he have an NMC?  What will it take to get him?  I am betting the list is small and unrealistic.  

On defense we know Chyckrun is being shopped and there will be movement at the deadline - but goaltending seems like an off-season task. 

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

I am done hoping for a goalie trade this year because it does not sound realistic.   I would like to hear options for fixing the goaltending this year.  Which teams are willing to trade a goalie now?  Who is that goalie?  Does he have an NMC?  What will it take to get him?  I am betting the list is small and unrealistic.  

On defense we know Chyckrun is being shopped and there will be movement at the deadline - but goaltending seems like an off-season task. 

I wrote in another thread that there are rumors from credible people (not Eklund) that Van is listening to offers for Demko once he gets off IR.  The price according to the Athletic should be around a 1st in 2023 and a good prospect.  Demko has three years left and does not have an NMC or NTC.  I'm not sure why Van wants to part with Demko, but if they are I'd love for KA to get him (not try to get him).  This is probably the best in season option.

That said, I have been simply asking for him to try to upgrade Bryson, Pilut and Fitz in season.  I think this is much more realistic and would help all of our goalies perform better without blocking any prospects or costing many of KA's precious picks and prospects.

• Thanks (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

south park beat a dead horse GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wrote in another thread that there are rumors from credible people (not Eklund) that Van is listening to offers for Demko once he gets off IR.  The price according to the Athletic should be around a 1st in 2023 and a good prospect.  Demko has three years left and does not have an NMC or NTC.  I'm not sure why Van wants to part with Demko, but if they are I'd love for KA to get him (not try to get him).  This is probably the best in season option.

That said, I have been simply asking for him to try to upgrade Bryson, Pilut and Fitz in season.  I think this is much more realistic and would help all of our goalies perform better without blocking any prospects or costing many of KA's precious picks and prospects.

Well the 23' 1st is a non starter for me 

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Probably because he doesn't want to start chasing it like TMGM did and go from lots of young prospects and picks to empty cupboards with nothing to show for it in a  short time. Perhaps he also believes he really needs to see how these players grow together this year before he has a concrete idea of EXACTLY what is needed.  

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Probably because he doesn't want to start chasing it like TMGM did and go from lots of young prospects and picks to empty cupboards with nothing to show for it in a  short time. Perhaps he also believes he really needs to see how these players grow together this year before he has a concrete idea of EXACTLY what is needed.  

Demko and Chychrun would definitely be big time trades and both are unlikely.  The difference here is that if KA made such bold moves he already has a great core playing well in Tage, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, JJP, Quinn, Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson.  All TM had when he made those trade were Eichel and Reinhart and both were rookies.  

That said, we don't have to go that far on the limb to make significant improvements.  Go look at NJ's trades for Marino and Vanacek.  All that cost them was a Bryson type player, 2 3rd picks and and trading down from 37 to 46 in the 2nd rd.  With the depth in our pipeline we wouldn't even notice those picks were gone.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Demko and Chychrun would definitely be big time trades and both are unlikely.  The difference here is they were made is that KA has a great core playing well in Tage, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, JJP, Quinn, Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson.  All TM had when he made those trade were Eichel and Reinhart and both were rookies.  

That said, we don't have to go that far on the limb to make significant improvements.  Go look at NJ's trades for Marino and Vanacek.  All that cost them was a Bryson type player, 2 3rd picks and and trading down from 37 to 46 in the 2nd rd.  With the depth in our pipeline we wouldn't even notice those picks were gone.

I'm not opposed to those type of moves, but aren't those the type of moves usually made in the offseason?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Thanks, I just read your Demko proposition.   I just don't know enough about his potential or his injury to say, the 2023 pick would have to be protected, that pick with some kind of throw in is probably plenty.   

35 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm not opposed to those type of moves, but aren't those the type of moves usually made in the offseason?

Usually and at the deadline.  You do occasionally get bid moves in season like the Vanek/Moulson deal or the Johanson/Seth Jones trade.  I do think because of the high number of elite prospects in this draft, I think teams will be in sell mode earlier than usual.  4 teams are already done (CBJ, AZ, Chi, Ana) and another few (SJ, OTT and Philly) are also probably looking to start moving pieces.  Van because of their high cap figure and mediocre results, may also throw in the towel at some point as well, which is why we are already hearing rumors on Boeser and Demko.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Nah. Just the opposite. Goalie not good enough? They will play all 60 minutes with the goalie pulled for the 6th attacker.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

...  Go look at NJ's trades for Marino and Vanacek.  All that cost them was a Bryson type player, 2 3rd picks and and trading down from 37 to 46 in the 2nd rd.  With the depth in our pipeline we wouldn't even notice those picks were gone.

Is Ty Smith really only just a "Bryson type of player"?   I was thinking that guys like Ty Smith (Pittsburgh) or Thomas Harley(Dallas) were former 1st round picks on D who might still have at least 3rd pairing upside, certainly better than Pilut.  Harley is 6'3".  Ty Smith, at 5'11" isn't exactly as small as Bryson at 5'9" (albeit Bryson is stocky and great skater).   Dallas traded significant assets to take a gamble on Nils Lundkqvist; Dallas is doing rather well.   Kevyn Adams is he the new "do something already Darcy"?

1 hour ago, etiennep99 said:

Is Ty Smith really only just a "Bryson type of player"?   I was thinking that guys like Ty Smith (Pittsburgh) or Thomas Harley(Dallas) were former 1st round picks on D who might still have at least 3rd pairing upside, certainly better than Pilut.  Harley is 6'3".  Ty Smith, at 5'11" isn't exactly as small as Bryson at 5'9" (albeit Bryson is stocky and great skater).   Dallas traded significant assets to take a gamble on Nils Lundkqvist; Dallas is doing rather well.   Kevyn Adams is he the new "do something already Darcy"?

Ty Smith is back in the AHL.  Bryson is in the NHL (although I grant they he may be better off in the AHL).  Neither guy would be in the NHL on a good team. 

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What is unexpected was that Peterka-Cozens-Quinn would look like a good second line this early.  I came into the season just hoping they would be OK and not get caved in regularly.  Instead, three guys who are younger than any 1st line in the NCAA are going toe-to-toe with top lines in the NHL.  Who plans for that?

Having said that, I hope there is a fair hockey trade for a #3 LHD in the new year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

What is unexpected was that Peterka-Cozens-Quinn would look like a good second line this early.  I came into the season just hoping they would be OK and not get caved in regularly.  Instead, three guys who are younger than any 1st line in the NCAA are going toe-to-toe with top lines in the NHL.  Who plans for that?

Having said that, I hope there is a fair hockey trade for a #3 LHD in the new year.

In the off-season I did some research on the historical seasons they had in the A given their age group.  Everyone else who did what they did at their ages went on to have good to HOF NHL careers.  That research gave me real hope that they would excel this season. I even projected Quinn to score at least 20 goals and JJP 15.  So far so good.  Just wait until they add 20 lbs of muscle in the next couple of years.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I am not giving up a first for Demko. 

I want a shot at Cam Allen. We aren’t going to win the Cup this year. I think we have enough in the pipeline at goalie. A kid like Cam Allen would really be one of those pain in the a** players. He reminds me a bit of Bergeron but plays D. Talented and pesteringly physical. 

FYI:

https://www.quanthockey.com/ahl/en/player-age/20-year-old-ahl-players.html - Quinn is 3rd all time in the A for p/gp by a 20 year old.  Satan is second, Briere is 4th

https://www.quanthockey.com/ahl/en/player-age/19-year-old-ahl-players.html - JJP is 8th all time in the A for p/gp by a 19 year old.  Ahead of Bergeron and Patrick Elias.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.