OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

19 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Goddam snow.  I'm not ready for this ***** yet. 

Yeah, someone at work asked it I was going to get hit since they heard about it (in Texas). Finger Lakes are in the shadow of the strip of land between Lakes Erie and Ontario so we're forecasted for nothing. But it looks like the Southtowns are going to get it.

16 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Goddam snow.  I'm not ready for this ***** yet. 

Happy we aren't getting much if anything in the Eastern Burbs this time.  We get buried enough, let someone else have their turn..

And it's relatively late in the year for the first big snowfall, almost December, so you have kinda lucked out.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Night Train said:

2022 Chistma.s North of Buffalo - Blizzard. Shoveling and plowing all day. Canceled gathering and opening gifts for a couple days. Buried. 

Chistmas Yesterday North of Buffalo - Sunny and 60 F. Walked dog without coat. Wife and daughter went on bike rides. I haven't moved snow yet this winter. Bizarre. 

Strong El Nino effects this year 

8 hours ago, Night Train said:

2022 Chistma.s North of Buffalo - Blizzard. Shoveling and plowing all day. Canceled gathering and opening gifts for a couple days. Buried. 

Chistmas Yesterday North of Buffalo - Sunny and 60 F. Walked dog without coat. Wife and daughter went on bike rides. I haven't moved snow yet this winter. Bizarre. 

I was at the Bills/Bears game last year for Christmas ... -5F with air temp -30F or worse. This year - upper 40's here in Chicago. What a swing!

15 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

This global warming $hit is ruining my ski season again. I've been out a few times, but it's been pretty crappy conditions. 

I have a night booked at Hotel du Glace in Quebec in a few weeks and I'm hoping it's cold enough to keep my room from melting. 

Or la niña?

It is awful. I don't understand anyone who prefers this to snow.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Or la niña?

It is awful. I don't understand anyone who prefers this to snow.

El Nino, not La Nina. Totally different 

23 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Very mild in north Texas:  mid-50s, sunny.  We had quite a bit of rain heading into Christmas Eve but the rain stopped during the day on the 24th and it's been mild, cool and sunny ever since.

It was warmer in Buffalo believe it or not

Achieved our seasonal average snowfall in Anchorage on Christmas Day. Already have had a few roof collapses. And we only have another 3-4 months of winter to go!  Lots of skiing available but the backcountry is shut down due to high avalanche danger. 

Edited by irregularly irregular
better words make for better understanding

8 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

Achieved our seasonal average snowfall in Anchorage on Christmas Day. Already have had a few roof collapses. And we only have another 3-4 months of winter to go!  Lots of skiing available but the backcountry is shut down due to high avalanche danger. 

You are going to win the National Golden Snowglobe award going away this year...

Currently have a 55" lead over 2nd place Boulder, CO.

Buffalo has won it back to back years but we aren't even barely on the map this year. Have under 8 inches of snow this year to date when we had over 100 inches at this time last year, on the back of a massive lake effect snowstorm in November and the worst blizzard in recorded US history the few days surrounding Xmas.

Currently ranked 14th with 7.7", showing just how little snow has fallen in the lower 48 this year.

Not only that but since November 1st, we have only had 2 days that haven't had a high temp over freezing and those days both reached 31. December has featured 12 days with high temps 45+(including 8 days 50+ and 1 day hitting 60) and another 6 days over 40.

Absurdly warm for this time of the year, over 7 degrees above normal and currently the 2nd warmest December on record next to 2015 which was a crazy warm outlier, and also a strong El Nino year that featured a 71 degree high one day and several other days in the 60s and upper 50s. This year and 2015 are the only two years in recorded weather history since 1878 without a high temperature below 30 degrees for the month.

Buffalo also just set a record for most consecutive days without a temperature under 20 degrees, reaching 305 days since the last time this occurred when it hit 16 degrees Feb 23rd of this year. Looks like this will extend out quite a ways as forecast well into January shows all highs above freezing with only a few days reaching the mid 20s for lows and the others in the 30s for lows.

Edited by Big Guava

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Heard that Hochul is declaring a state of emergency in Erie County as of 9AM tomorrow.  Anybody know if that will affect the Sabres game getting played tomorrow night?

Nothing is different tomorrow. The fans never show up and neither does the team.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1