Is it time to give Anderson more games?

matter2003

Comrie has made some good saves but allows too many "meh" goals and is not good at making big saves when the team needs them to either keep the lead or prevent a team from taking or extending the lead.

His 3.62 and .885 save percentage have to be among the worst in the NHL. I'm thinking he needs to take a breather and let Anderson play more. Maybe sitting and observing will help him.

18 minutes ago, Toilet_Mop said:

Ullmark somehow put up respectable stats every year with horrible defense in front of him. 

Kills me that we had a franchise goalie here and didn’t do everything to keep him and grow with him.  Let him walk away to a division rival.  

Now he’s 9-1, 2.05 GA and .932 save %

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sure, but no one can survive long behind this terrible D group.  

This is the problem. Adams sitting on his hands doing nothing to improve the Defense is a major indictment of his gm tenure. 

7 hours ago, zow2 said:

Kills me that we had a franchise goalie here and didn’t do everything to keep him and grow with him.  Let him walk away to a division rival.  

Because Boston has a better defense. 

It's not the goalie, it's the defense. No problem giving Anderson the next start but this team is a defensive sieve when Dahlin leaves the ice. 

• Agree 1

The defense has been poor had has left Comrie out to dry on a number of occasions.  That said, other than Edmonton (a game that I did not see), he has not "stolen" any games for the Sabres.  I thought he was outplayed by the Arizona goalie the other night.  I have nothing personal against Comrie, and by all accounts, he's a hard worker and a good dude.  I'm just not sure if he's an NHL-caliber starting goalie.  He's certainly good enough to play in the league and was as great backup in Winnipeg last year.  Perhaps, with this porous defense, it's too hard to tell.  Anderson, in his prime, was clearly a solid NHL-caliber starting goalie, but at age 41, he can't do it every night and needs to be a backup with spot duty.

In sum, while perhaps better than the last couple of years, I don't think the Sabres have solved their goaltending issue.  Maybe they are just trying to keep the crease warm until Levi, Portillo, or UPL are ready, but goalies can take a long time to develop and that may not be a winning strategy.  I don't know how well UPL has played in Rochester this year, but he's been pretty good in the NHL in the past and may be due for a shot.

15 hours ago, zow2 said:

Possibly because he gets hurt and is out 6-8 weeks or more every year?

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I was told the goaltending was going to be better.

Once again buffalo ignored the issue and buffalo is back in the lottery 

segundo-sol-novela.gif

Samuelsson has been a massive loss. He is by far their best defensive defenseman.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Behind this defense?  No thank you.  

I'm honestly more concerned with the forwards turning the puck over in the offensive zone leading to breakaways and odd man rushes the other way. They have become WAY too careless there.

It's one thing to try and be creative, another to do so carelessly without any rules in place.

6 goals against the last 2 games off of Sabre deflections certainly hasn't helped either.

Edited by matter2003

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is the problem. Adams sitting on his hands doing nothing to improve the Defense is a major indictment of his gm tenure. 

Because Boston has a better defense. 

It's not the goalie, it's the defense. No problem giving Anderson the next start but this team is a defensive sieve when Dahlin leaves the ice. 

Been saying this for years. 

and it's not just the defensemen, a lot of the forwards don't do their job defensively either. 

This whole move is starting to look quite questionable for Adams and his team

It's early, but, I mean for a GM that hasn't been able to address goaltending, he might not even have taken a step in a positive direction

So far, this falls under: bet on an incredibly small sample size, get burned ie NOT how you use analytics appropriately 

Edited by Thorny

On 11/10/2022 at 10:23 PM, zow2 said:

His reason of "not blocking" his prospects is not looking very good right now.   Not sure he could have signed him to a cap friendly deal, but he really did look like a rookie GM when this all went down.   If UPL does not emerge this season this error gets even bigger.  

Let's also keep in mind that while Uhlmark is a loss, he would not have those numbers on this team playing behind this depleted defense.  

On 11/10/2022 at 10:47 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's the mistake that is killing this rebuild. 

Probably KA's biggest mistake so far.  His handling of the goaltending in general.  

Edited by Pimlach

29 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This whole move is starting to look quite questionable for Adams and his team

It's early, but, I mean for a GM that hasn't been able to address goaltending, he might not even have taken a step in a positive direction

So far, this falls under: bet on an incredibly small sample size, get burned ie NOT how you use analytics appropriately 

Cool stats .... But who decides what is "expected"?  Seems subjective to me. 

Edited by Pimlach

Just now, Amerks8796 said:

No. He has the flu. 

I personally despise UPL as a goalie, but if Comrie doesn’t turn it around in the next couple of starts, they might as well give UPL a shot. 

Despise?  Wow.  

Some folks here have suggested that UPL looked better on his last call-up to Buffalo last year, than he did in Rochester.  Is that what causes your reaction?   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.