Defense Injury Survival

GASabresIUFAN

42 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I think the biggest issue with any trade for another Dman is the fact we'd be put in a bad spot once Joki and Muel return.

The Sabres want to see what Bryson is and don't want to waive Fitzgerald thus leaving no roster spots open post injury. 

If you acquire someone better than Fitz, why does it matter if you waive him? 

Odds are he won’t get claimed.  If he does, so what. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If you acquire someone better than Fitz, why does it matter if you waive him? 

Odds are he won’t get claimed.  If he does, so what. 

Age, and finding a player better than Fitz almost automatically would be better than Bryson. They want the young guys to play, not older guys who might be marginally better.

Most teams aren't going to move anyone yet (without an overpay) because the season is still young and GMs all want to show the fans they still have hope. But there are a few teams at the bottom who might decide to stay there as they grab a dinner of lard, whiskey, and fusilli for Bedard, Matvey, and Fantilli. Here are some UFA RHD on poor-start teams who could be pried away now for a draft pick and you could then re-flip at the deadline. You'd likely have to add just a touch of sweetener to get any of them for the entire season versus just a as a deadline rental. This list would expand at US Thanksgiving, but the Sabres might be through the worst of the injuries by then (or in real trouble if another top 4 gets hurt).

NYI - Mayfield $1.45 cap
VAN - Schenn $850k
ANH - Shattenkirk $3.9M and LD/RD Kulikov $2.25M; would either waive their M-NTC in southern California to go to a perceived bottom team? no, probably not.
NSH - Borowiecki RD $900k

Edit: I'm not advocating for any of these moves, only that these players could already be deemed available based on contract and standings.

Edited by DarthEbriate

You can add Strahlman to that list I think now that Gryzlyk and Carlo are back with the Bruins but he didn't look good in his one game so it's not really an upgrade. Maybe better than Pilut but not by much. 

I think the best plan is a real hockey trade. Forward for a D man of equal ability/promise. So who has too many D men? 

Either that or trade for an over paid guy with a team that wants/needs some cap room. 

To beat a dead horse, we should have picked up Reilly when the Bruins waived him. He's playing top 4 minutes with the Bruins and playing well. Would have solved a lot of depth issues here. 

Failure by Adams to address this issue sooner than later makes me think they really don't care about winning this season. 

• Agree 1

From Friedman’s 32 Thoughts 

6. Surging Buffalo has a problem on defence. Mattias Samuelssonis out (although thankfully it’s not as bad as it initially looked). Henri Jokiharju is out. I could see GM Kevyn Adams examining what’s out there. You know when your team deserves help, and the Sabres sure are showing it. 

7. One defenceman whose situation is coming to a head is Ethan Bear. Players want to play, and he hasn’t dressed yet this year. It’s nothing nefarious, Carolina’s doing what it thinks is best, but he can’t be happy and it’s really hard when you don’t play a game like the one in Edmonton — since you always want to prove your former team to be wrong. 

After mentioning it last weekend, a couple of sources indicated there was a trade request last summer. The Hurricanes’ position on this is as follows: they consider Bear a legit NHL defenceman and, since they don’t have cap issues, won’t eat part of his salary for “minimal return.” It’s possible Bear ends up on waivers to see if anyone claims him, and word is he would go to AHL Chicago, just because he wants to play. Vancouver’s shown real interest. Washington did around the draft. It’s believed Toronto’s poked around too. I’m sure there are others, we will see how it ends up. 

13 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Bear would fit the idea, since he's still young and thus wouldn't just be a vet eating young player time. (He'd be a young player too)

And?  He is almost certainly an upgrade over Fitz and Pilut and if he is an improvement for Bryson, so be it.  Always better to have competition.  If he makes Bryson expendable for other assets, that's fine as well.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s correct.  There are no legit prospects in Rochester on defense.  Acquiring someone, even someone with term, wouldn’t block anyone.  

From KA’s point of view, I think he and DG like the top 6 when everyone is healthy.  Getting someone like Myers would complicate their goal of max PT for guys like Bryson and Joki. While I would agree seeing what we have in those two is important, I saw enough in the first 5 games to believe that with a good D group we could be a legit playoff contender this season.  It’s time to move on from a strictly developmental goal for the team and try to field a winner. Making a bold move to shore up the defense now would help that winning narrative.  I’m just not sure KA is willing to be that bold.  

What happens if no more development is possible for those players?

I have no interest in Myers.

• Agree 1

As I read the thread I keep thinking about all the statements that Ryan Johnson won't sign with the Sabres because there's no room for him on the team.  Obviously doesn't fix the current situation with the immediate need on D but it does show that there's a great opportunity for him to sign with the Sabres and break into the NHL with a young up coming team.

That being said, I do like the Ethan Bear suggestion if he's available.  Carolina may be holding their depth too (important as demonstrated by the current situation here).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not that I have heard.

With Bush out, we are down to Dahlin, a rookie and a bunch of JAGS again.  Memo to KA, find some friggin help now!

Thing now its really difficult...and expensive. He should of addressed depth a long time ago. So many damn (and good) young forward prospects, but defence is almost an after thought. 

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Thing now its really difficult...and expensive. He should of addressed depth a long time ago. So many damn (and good) young forward prospects, but defence is almost an after thought. 

Sad situation.  We have had 13 1st, 2nd r& 3rd pounds picks the last 3 years, and besides Power, we haven't a single D.  

In KA's 3 drafts we have drafted 27 players, 1 goalie, 5 D, and 22 forwards.  Besides Powers, Lindgren, in the 4th rd, is our highest drafted D and he won't be close to Buffalo for at least 2-3 years.  The other 3 D were drafted in the 5th, 6th, and & 7th rounds.  

We also have no legit NHL prospects currently in Rochester.  Laaksonen, a 3rd rd pick in 2017, is a defensive liability still and looks like he won't make the next step.  

Johnson, our best D prospect, is questionable if he'll even sign here.  KA needed to add real depth and instead brought in a bunch of AAAA guys like Clague and Pilut for the Amerks.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2022 at 10:07 PM, Brawndo said:

From Friedman’s 32 Thoughts 

6. Surging Buffalo has a problem on defence. Mattias Samuelssonis out (although thankfully it’s not as bad as it initially looked). Henri Jokiharju is out. I could see GM Kevyn Adams examining what’s out there. You know when your team deserves help, and the Sabres sure are showing it. 

7. One defenceman whose situation is coming to a head is Ethan Bear. Players want to play, and he hasn’t dressed yet this year. It’s nothing nefarious, Carolina’s doing what it thinks is best, but he can’t be happy and it’s really hard when you don’t play a game like the one in Edmonton — since you always want to prove your former team to be wrong. 

After mentioning it last weekend, a couple of sources indicated there was a trade request last summer. The Hurricanes’ position on this is as follows: they consider Bear a legit NHL defenceman and, since they don’t have cap issues, won’t eat part of his salary for “minimal return.” It’s possible Bear ends up on waivers to see if anyone claims him, and word is he would go to AHL Chicago, just because he wants to play. Vancouver’s shown real interest. Washington did around the draft. It’s believed Toronto’s poked around too. I’m sure there are others, we will see how it ends up. 

They really don't get traded for a 5th round pick and adding an AHL forward.

I might be wrong but I don't see him being more than depth for any NHL team.

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sad situation.  We have had 13 1st, 2nd r& 3rd pounds picks the last 3 years, and besides Power, we haven't a single D.  

In KA's 3 drafts we have drafted 27 players, 1 goalie, 5 D, and 22 forwards.  Besides Powers, Lindgren, in the 4th rd, is our highest drafted D and he won't be close to Buffalo for at least 2-3 years.  The other 3 D were drafted in the 5th, 6th, and & 7th rounds.  

We also have no legit NHL prospects currently in Rochester.  Laaksonen, a 3rd rd pick in 2017, is a defensive liability still and looks like he won't make the next step.  

Johnson, our best D prospect, is questionable if he'll even sign here.  KA needed to add real depth and instead brought in a bunch of AAAA guys like Clague and Pilut for the Amerks.

Nice summary! You put in numbers what I was suspecting was true. 

That is so strange, they are either crazy about forwards or all the best players available were forwards? 

And so next draft, do we go best player, or look for defencemen and reach? 

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Nice summary! You put in numbers what I was suspecting was true. 

That is so strange, they are either crazy about forwards or all the best players available were forwards? 

And so next draft, do we go best player, or look for defencemen and reach? 

In the draft I think they should use at least 2 of our top 4 picks (we have a 1st and 3 2nds) next year on D.  We also need to add depth in the organization.  Much will depend on whether Johnson signs and whether Novikov can get out of Russia and come over to play for the Amerks as Kisakov did this year.  I would like to see them sign a college kid or two. 

I honestly think we should add another NHL level D even if Jokiharju and Bush return soon.  I want competition for Joki and Bryson to prove they deserve their spots and we just don't have it right now.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In the draft I think they should use at least 2 of our top 4 picks (we have a 1st and 3 2nds) next year on D.  We also need to add depth in the organization.  Much will depend on whether Johnson signs and whether Novikov can get out of Russia and come over to play for the Amerks as Kisakov did this year.  I would like to see them sign a college kid or two. 

I honestly think we should add another NHL level D even if Jokiharju and Bush return soon.  I want competition for Joki and Bryson to prove they deserve their spots and we just don't have it right now.

The current situation kind of reminds me of 2016, maybe 2017.  We were short on D-men and had to trade for Scandella from Minny.  There may be differences vs. that previous situation, but your draft info earlier pretty well sums up the lack of a robust pipeline.

On 10/25/2022 at 12:25 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

It could have been worse.  You could have said “Your best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Hickey at 31 Flavors last night wearing an Amerks hat.”

"I saw Hickey at Duff's"

Speaking as someone that was hoping for Adams to find away to land Jiricek and also was hoping to get a D drafted maybe in the 2nd, realize they really could use 1 more D-man & also that other than possibly Johnson there is no immediate help coming from the pipeline.

But with that said, they have slots 1-3 locked up for up to the next 8 years at D.  And Jokiharju will likely be here a while too, so possibly both of the top pairings are set for a long time & at worst 1-3 & 5 are set.

Is there even remotely the same confidence that line 1 is set into the future?  Between about 9 guys currently here & another 6 in the pipeline, lines 2 & 3 are/will be set.  But other than maybe, maybe, having Savoie become a homerun do they have true 1's in the system?  If not, maybe there's a method to Adams' apparent madness in not addressing the D-pipeline other than grabbing their current 3 (and likely future 2 though he'll probably lock down the 2nd pairing) via the draft.  He also addressed the 5/4 role & the 7/6 w/ a UFA & an RFA.  

Would really like to see 2 of those top 4 picks next year go towards D, but won't be remotely surprised to only see 1 of them go to D.  They have most of the top of the D depth chart entered in pen; can't say the same for the F depth chart and other than Levi the goaltending depth chart isn't even pencil, it's invisible ink they're using to write.  Lyubushkin quality guys are available in the summer & really expect to see that be where the holes on D get filled this off-season.  Especially to keep that next piece of the solution to not be on the exact same timetable as so much of the rest of this team, not expecting a trade nor offer sheet for a 25 yo or under guy.

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

DG was talking about how much work he was putting in coaching the new D. Said he was going over video between games and talking with the guys a lot. It sure looks like he has them in the system.  Maybe we had depth but it just needed grooming 

Dare I say Donny actually has an effective defensive system? 

I think the key is the whole team needs to play defense.  When the forwards back check, when every one keeps tight gaps, the team looks good.  When they play too far off their assignments they get running around and look foolish.  One player doing that cascade through the team as other players stretch from their assignments to cover the weak link.  That's why they occasionally look so bad defensively.

The new guys have to adjust to that kind of tight checking, taking away space, instead of just gliding back and staying with their man.  They need to force the other other team to move the puck before they're ready to prevent scoring opportunities and force turnovers.  They did it pretty well last night.

When the defense is effective it springs the offense.  The Sabres are scoring a lot on the rush and that starts from defensive transition.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.