Sabres Broadcast Team to Travel with Team This Season. With the Exception of West Coast Games

Brawndo

51 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Yeah, I've listened to all of them, some more than others. They at minimum call the game, insufferable though they may be.

Whatever, you can like him. I'm sure someone somewhere like John Gurtler too.

Gurtler is actually OK at box lax.

(He was brutal at hockey.)

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Gurtler is actually OK at box lax.

(He was brutal at hockey.)

In my recollection Gurtler’s biggest flaw as a play by play guy was that he was arrogant enough to believe that he was the show, and it carried through in his work.  May be as simple as, he’s grown out of his arrogance and simply calls the game?

1 hour ago, Contempt said:

Yeah, I've listened to all of them, some more than others. They at minimum call the game, insufferable though they may be.

Whatever, you can like him. I'm sure someone somewhere like John Gurtler too.

They don’t always call the game. In fact I find them to have way more banter. Most likely, your threshold for banter is just way lower when it’s the Sabres.

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

They don’t always call the game. In fact I find them to have way more banter. Most likely, your threshold for banter is just way lower when it’s the Sabres.

Whatever, you guys are all right Dunleavy is a perfectly serviceable play-by-play man and we're all blessed to have him.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You now what is a simple, economical solution to this?  Hire a local west coast reporter to act as the in-arena analyst. 

In case you missed, Marty Biron burst out laughing on Sabres Live when Duff read your post name on the show.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Contempt said:

I've listened to everyone at least for a little while. Lots of time in the car with sat radio. Who in your opinion is currently worse at covering a game so I can listen to them more? There are people I don't like listening to, mostly because I'm not a fan of that team, such as Jack Edwards, but I concede that he actually calls the game being played.

I can't at the moment.  I don't actually make a note and keep a list of things that suck. I prefer not to keep that kind of knowledge in my long term memory.  I will however take note as I come across them this season.  Interesting question, with sat radio I assume you are getting the radio broadcast of the hockey game versus the TV coverage broadcast?  Not sure how many have different teams for both, etc.

I want to say nearly all ESPN announcers last year were awful, as in truly terrible. I think only Buccigross was tolerable, perhaps one other person.

Jack Edwards is an absolute tool, but he calls the game. It's when he injects his opinions that it goes off the rails.

Just to reiterate, I don't like DD.. not even a bit.  He's in the bottom of tier of announcing. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LTS said:

I can't at the moment.  I don't actually make a note and keep a list of things that suck. I prefer not to keep that kind of knowledge in my long term memory.  I will however take note as I come across them this season.  Interesting question, with sat radio I assume you are getting the radio broadcast of the hockey game versus the TV coverage broadcast?  Not sure how many have different teams for both, etc.

I want to say nearly all ESPN announcers last year were awful, as in truly terrible. I think only Buccigross was tolerable, perhaps one other person.

Jack Edwards is an absolute tool, but he calls the game. It's when he injects his opinions that it goes off the rails.

Just to reiterate, I don't like DD.. not even a bit.  He's in the bottom of tier of announcing. 

Just,… no. Do you ever listen to other broadcasts?

I watch a game a night, most nights, 2. Some days even three. Dan, and even Razor, are nowhere bottom tier.

On 9/30/2022 at 9:34 PM, SwampD said:

I watch a game a night, most nights, 2. Some days even three. Dan, and even Razor, are nowhere bottom tier.

Well, then you can chime in on who you think are worse.  My initial argument was that Dunleavy was not necessarily the worst and even then the phrase "and it's not even close" was used which was wholly inaccurate.

I was asked which announcers I think are worse but I could not name them because I don't keep track of that.  I am glad you do.

But I still think Dunleavy is bottom tier.  Razor is... a class of his own.

36 minutes ago, LTS said:

Well, then you can chime in on who you think are worse.  My initial argument was that Dunleavy was not necessarily the worst and even then the phrase "and it's not even close" was used which was wholly inaccurate.

I was asked which announcers I think are worse but I could not name them because I don't keep track of that.  I am glad you do.

But I still think Dunleavy is bottom tier.  Razor is... a class of his own.

I’ve already listed a bunch of broadcasts. And it doesn’t matter anyway.

It’s subjective. I like him, you don’t. That’s fine.

On 9/30/2022 at 6:34 PM, SwampD said:

What are you defining as lower tier?

https://theathletic.com/2746567/2021/09/30/the-2021-nhl-broadcast-rankings-the-best-and-worst-markets-to-watch-the-games/

“Martin Biron got consistent top marks for his work in both the booth and the studio, with several people pointing out he should be the cornerstone of the future broadcasts.

The bottom line: A broadcast that is caught in between embracing the past and moving into the future has become divisive and has kept it in the lower tier of NHL broadcasts.”

I generally agree with their rank.  Razor brings the broadcast down, and Marty is the cornerstone. For reference I listen to the Sabres broadcast about half the time (depending on who they play) and watch another 3 games per week with various teams.  

10 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

What are you defining as lower tier?

https://theathletic.com/2746567/2021/09/30/the-2021-nhl-broadcast-rankings-the-best-and-worst-markets-to-watch-the-games/

“Martin Biron got consistent top marks for his work in both the booth and the studio, with several people pointing out he should be the cornerstone of the future broadcasts.

The bottom line: A broadcast that is caught in between embracing the past and moving into the future has become divisive and has kept it in the lower tier of NHL broadcasts.”

I generally agree with their rank.  Razor brings the broadcast down, and Marty is the cornerstone. For reference I listen to the Sabres broadcast about half the time (depending on who they play) and watch another 3 games per week with various teams.  

I don’t get the Athletic and I don’t care. You can’t rank something that is subjective. I mean, you can, but it has no relevance to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.