2022 NHL Free Agency Frenzy (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Detroit signed Marco Kasper to his elc... which I guess goes here but interesting that they did that so fast. Maybe they plan on him starting in Detroit.

Could be he was threatening to sign w/ his SEL team if they didn't give some assurances on what he needs to do to be playing in the NHL.

I'm generally a fan of how Adams has done things, but the lack of goaltending, when they have tons of cap space (as well as draft picks to trade), is disconcerting.  I can understand why they wouldn't want a guy like Campbell at 5 x 5M, effectively "blocking" the future guys like UPL, Levi, Portillo, and the guy they just drafted, but there has to be someone out there willing to play on a high value shorter term deal.  Overpay (even in a big way) for 1-2 years, when there's plenty of cap space, and by the time the contract is done, you have spots for the young guys.

Instead of taking on Ben Bishop's contract - several million dollars - they could have used that cap space to overpay a veteran goalie for 1-2 years.  Pay him $3-6M above market for 1-2 years, then he comes off the books when cap space is needed and the young guys are ready.  Instead they are paying Bishop to NOT play, without getting any assets in exchange.  Seems like a total waste of cap space.  Are they also still paying the retired defenseman from the Islanders?

Edited by msw2112

1 minute ago, msw2112 said:

I'm generally a fan of how Adams has done things, but the lack of goaltending, when they have tons of cap space (as well as draft picks to trade), is disconcerting.  I can understand why they wouldn't want a guy like Campbell at 5 x 5M, effectively "blocking" the future guys like UPL, Levi, Portillo, and the guy they just drafted, but there has to be someone out there willing to play on a high value shorter term deal.  Overpay (even in a big way) for 1-2 years, when there's cap space and by the time the contract is done, you have spots for the young guys.

The market is truly awful.  The position as a whole around the league is right there.  The NHL has what, 2 elite goalies?  They do need more, but it won't be someone above average.

2 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I'm generally a fan of how Adams has done things, but the lack of goaltending, when they have tons of cap space (as well as draft picks to trade), is disconcerting.  I can understand why they wouldn't want a guy like Campbell at 5 x 5M, effectively "blocking" the future guys like UPL, Levi, Portillo, and the guy they just drafted, but there has to be someone out there willing to play on a high value shorter term deal.  Overpay (even in a big way) for 1-2 years, when there's cap space and by the time the contract is done, you have spots for the young guys.

You still have to convince someone to come here. I know that I wouldn't want to play in an empty arena on a losing team if I had other options.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.