Devon Levi watching Sabres morning skate

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Um, this is a report of him watching the Sabres. What are you not getting?

And I know you are just trolling anyway, but your lack of punctuation is annoying. I shouldn't have to try this hard to realize I don't care about your post.😂

If you look it was  Bolded

33 minutes ago, MBD said:

As I've said, focus on Levi.  Try to trade Portillo.

Until one of the 3 has proven he's ready for the reins or until 1 has said he wants out, keep them all & may the best goalie win.

Having 3 young good goalies, should it turn out that's what the Sabres have, wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen to them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Until one of the 3 has proven he's ready for the reins or until 1 has said he wants out, keep them all & may the best goalie win.

Having 3 young good goalies, should it turn out that's what the Sabres have, wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen to them.

What is Portillo's incentive to sign if Levi comes out next year as well (meaning they'll have to compete for PT, one in Rochester and the other in Cincy) and Portillo can just wait a few months and become an UFA?  I've heard "he can burn a year of his ELC" (will they do that for both him and Levi?) but he could have done that this year and been a year closer to a bigger payday, but he eschewed it to "get his business degree," telling me money isn't motivating him.  But being able to choose where he would rather go, possibly would.

Basically I'm saying prepare like Portillo is gone and try to get something for him.  And do all you can to ensure Levi signs next year.  Not that they haven't been doing that to a degree, and don't think that that's lost on Portillo.

Edited by MBD

6 minutes ago, MBD said:

What is Portillo's incentive to sign if Levi comes out next year as well (meaning they'll have to compete for PT, one in Rochester and the other in Cincy) and Portillo can just wait a few months and become an UFA?  I've heard "he can burn a year of his ELC" but he could have done that this year and been a year closer to a bigger payday, but he eschewed it to "get his business degree," telling me money isn't motivating him.  But being able to choose where he would rather go, possibly would.

Basically I'm saying prepare like Portillo is gone and try to get something for him.  And do all you can to ensure Levi signs next year.  Not that they haven't been doing that to a degree, and don't think that that's lost on Portillo.

Why does one of them need to end up in Cincy? They can both co-exist in Ra-cha-cha w/ occasionally callups when warranted or necessary.  And IF management believes as you do that 1 net isn't big enough for the both of them, there'll be 32 AHL teams by then & there very likely is at least 1 AHL squad that one would be an upgrade over what's currently there.  ECHL isn't the only option available.

Totally get being concerned about the possibility of losing him (&/or Johnson as well).  But there are lot of chits in the Sabres column:

Portillo is friends w/ Power.

Portillo & his family are friends w/ Dahlin & Dahlin's family.

The organization he'd be coming to has a really nice chemistry developing - that will be apparent when he talks to any of them.

He's been in close contact w/ Sabres development staff & coaches.  He has developed a relationship w/ them.

And it has to be exciting to possibly have Dahlin, Samuelsson, & Power playing in front of him for at least 5 seasons & hopefully at least 8.  That will earn some goalie (or goalies) some serious scratch over the years.

The team can stay together a long time & there are some promising prospects already in the system that should allow the Sabres to follow the Blackhawks model of swapping out non-core pieces and replacing them w/ cheaper versions to keep the party going, should it actually start & there are NO guys younger than him or Levi on the horizon so the guy that wins the battle between the 3 will almost definitely be a core piece unlike Chicago's goalies.

And, items which are more debatable but IMHO do matter as well.

Adams didn't pressure him at all.  Making his case but at the end of the day saying 'we want you in the organization, but understand you have legit reasons to want to stay in college & we'll support either decision' should be in the plus column as it is "treating players (people) the right way."  Krueger talked of leadership - that is demonstrating leadership.

And lastly- if he doesn't think he'll beat out UPL & Levi, we probably shouldn't want him.  He has to expect he'll beat them out - neither is established.  And if he does beat them out,  then those 1st 6 items should be rather enticing.

PS - agree that they should always prepare like any of these guys can be gone.  Because injury or other can make that reality in a moment.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, MBD said:

What is Portillo's incentive to sign if Levi comes out next year as well (meaning they'll have to compete for PT, one in Rochester and the other in Cincy) and Portillo can just wait a few months and become an UFA?  I've heard "he can burn a year of his ELC" (will they do that for both him and Levi?) but he could have done that this year and been a year closer to a bigger payday, but he eschewed it to "get his business degree," telling me money isn't motivating him.  But being able to choose where he would rather go, possibly would.

Or you could just ask Portillo - you know, in an open and honest conversation - his intentions and act accordingly.

As far as incentives go, how about the fact that the only players standing between him and an NHL job are players who have never earned an NHL job?

Cincy? WTF? As things stand, he’s closer to the NHL than Cincy. The only guys in his way in Buffalo have combined for 10 NHL games. How much easier can his path get?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I have no worries about Levi. The kid is wired differently. I think he wants to master each level before he moves on to the next. He has had nothing but glowing things to say about the organization and has 4 buddies on the team. 

I have the feeling he will be “the guy” here when this team is doing damage in the playoffs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I have no worries about Levi. The kid is wired differently. I think he wants to master each level before he moves on to the next. He has had nothing but glowing things to say about the organization and has 4 buddies on the team. 

I have the feeling he will be “the guy” here when this team is doing damage in the playoffs.

I agree he is wired differently.  However, that said, I remain skeptical due to his lack of size.   

• LGR4GM locked this topic